It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Question Question about manic episodes and infidelity...sorry kinda long.

Hi guys! This is my first time on this board, but I need some guidance. Last year I found out that my husband, who is bipolar, was cheating on me. He was actually seeing a girl he knew NOTHING about. He didn't know her last name and she didn't even know his real name. Anyway, to make a long story short, this girl was on the work release program, and he NEVER bothered to ask her what she was in jail for! It was like he didn't care, he said it wasn't important! He carried on this little fling with her for about 6 weeks, until I found out and confronted him about it. He kept telling me he didn't know why he did it, that "that person wasn't him", and he didn't know who the hell he was or what he was doing at the time. I have spoken to my doctor about it, because I, myself have GAD and Panic Disorder, so you can imagine what all this did to me! We were going through a very hard time in our relationship due to him being laid off and collecting unemployment, which was not even half of what he would make a month. On top of that, we bought a house from a family friend that I trusted, and along with the deed transfer came a $22000.00 tax debt, that WE were now responsible for! There was too much financial strain on us and we started drifting apart. Arguing all the time, etc... I was ready to end everything myself at this point! Anyway as I was telling my doctor all of this he told me that it sounded to him like my husband had slipped into a manic episode from being depressed, and from all the stress. He said that alot of times people get what's called Hypersexuality, where they don't care who, where, when, etc... So Me being the panic ridden person I am, called my gyno immediately and had every test you can imagine done. Thank the good Lord everything came out ok. I even made him get tested, but he says he was never worried about anything because he used protection. I guess what i'm trying to find out is, is this normal behavior for someone who is bipolar and has a manic episode?

Last edited by Foxxii; 10-07-2011 at 04:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Question about manic episodes and infidelity...sorry kinda long.

Yes, bipolar persons who go into a manic phase can become sexually promiscuous, go on spending sprees, and other reckless behaviors. It's very common and they really don't know what they're doing or are unable to stop themselves. Be sure his doctor knows in case they want to do a medication check. It was probably brought on by all of the stress you were both going through. I know it's hard to accept, but it's part of his illness. Take care.

The Following User Says Thank You to rudiraven For This Useful Post:
Foxxii (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Re: Question about manic episodes and infidelity...sorry kinda long.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. It really is hard to accept, but just your reply has made me feel a little better. God Bless, Fox

Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
(female)

ShortAmy HB User
Re: Question about manic episodes and infidelity...sorry kinIda long.

I think I lost my reply - so this is reply #2.

Your story is almost mine - exactly!! The only difference being that mistress of my husband was not in jail (just a tramp!)

His affair was the catalyst to get him to a pdoc. He kept saying that it wasn't him, etc.
He was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder.

His affair was heartbreaking for me. SO unlike him (his dads own affair broke up his marriage - causing great annimosity between my husband & his dad)

Incidentally, his dad was diagnosed with bipolar w/ schizofrenic tendancies.
Husband says if he would not have been sick, or if he had been on meds - the affair would have never happened.
I don't know what to think. Your post has made me feel better - I'm not alone!

Closed Thread