It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
(female)

Divit HB User
Exclamation Helping my boyfriend cope and recover

Christmas day my boyfriend had what his doctors called a psychotic mental breakdown. He's told me before that he suspected he was bi polar but didn't want to be diagnosed with it and that he felt as if the copious amounts of marijuana he smokes keeps him calm and level.

Well, Christmas day he got it in his head that one of his friends was an undercover cop and he took off. We're from Oklahoma, and the next day he called his best friend from a police department in New Mexico. They picked him up for trying to stop traffic on the highway in the median...on foot. They ended up releasing him only for him to be picked up the next day in Arizona for the exact same thing.

He's currently in a mental health facility getting help, but its court ordered and they refuse to release him until he admits that he's sick and the medicine they've put him on starts to kick in.

I talk to him on the phone daily and he seems to be getting a little better, but he still kind of rambles on. He's told me theres a hit out on him, and to stay somewhere safe for two days (for a week he thought I was dead until we talked on the phone) because they'll be after me. The doctors say that he reacts to things that arent there and claims to be hearing a constant clicking noise too. He's admitted that he's bi polar, but will not accept the paranoid schizophrenic title they want him to accept.

He keeps saying 'I'm not crazy' and I keep telling him that no, he isn't crazy, chemical imbalances don't make you crazy, but he seems VERY set on denying the paranoid schizophrenic title.

They currently have him on zyprexa (which he told his doctor that he didnt like how it made him feel) and lithium, they're thinking about trying seroquel.

My boyfriend has in the past had trouble sleeping and a month before his big episode only slept for about 2 hours a night and ate little. Since they've put him on medication he has started sleeping full nights and seems to be eating more than what became the norm for him. So I'm hoping its starting to work...

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me how to help him over the phone (we're in Oklahoma, he's being held in AZ) since I can't go visit. I was also wondering if someone could suggest how to help him cope and recover once he DOES get home.

All help is appreciated and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

NOTE; He's a very stubborn individual and I'm afraid he won't take his medication once he is allowed to come home. How could I help encourage him to take it without angering him? I want to be there for him and support him, not upset him...

Last edited by Divit; 01-02-2012 at 04:36 AM. Reason: clarification

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread