It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

cscffe HB User
Think boyfriend may be schizophrenic

I could really use someone to talk to right now. My boyfriend recently told me that he is a psychic and that he can hear people's thoughts. He also went into how he thinks he turned other people in our apartment building into psychics just by being near them and that they talk telepathically to each other. He also says if he ever disappears than the government took him because of his abilities. He also mentioned that for some reason he can't hear my thoughts.

We've been together for almost four years and live together and honestly I'm worried about him. I asked him if he knows anything about schizophrenia but he said he's not crazy or schizophrenic, he is just psychic. I want to believe him and wish I could but I know it's not true.

I recommended that he see a psychiatrist and he said he'd think about it but I think it's something that he needs to deal with now. I'm trying to be nice and not push him away, especially since he decided to open up to me but I really do not know what to do. I feel like there's no one I can really talk to about this and that I'm the one who needs the psychiatrist to deal with it lol. Any advice?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
(male)

Brian598 HB User
Re: Think boyfriend may be schizophrenic

I have schizophrenia and I had some bumps in the road to get to where I am now. I have twice quit taking my medicine. I thought it wasn't natural to take the medicine one time and the other time I thought I could just keep it under control. Both of those attempts failed. I have been held in mental facilities before, the last time I spent 30 days under observation. I now am completely dedicated to taking my medicine. Sometimes I think I had to prove to myself that I was sick but looking back I wish I would have just accepted the diagnosis when it was given.

I went through some pretty low times and really only with my parents and from time to time my family to support me. I want you to appreciate what an important role you can play in your boyfriend's life. I am sure there are going to be some tough times for you along with your boyfriend through this. Show your boyfriend that you are with him and you only want the bad expressions of his disease to be treated. He likely will think that his doctor is out to get him and he may include you in that group of people.

Be open with him. Talking quietly to someone else in another room can be tough for your boyfriend to deal with. Try to spend some time with your boyfriend that doesn't deal with his disease or some of the far fetched ideas he is hooked on. In other words don't constantly tell him he his sick, let him know that there are still some good times to be had.

Schizophrenia and diseases like it can be treated. I have a girlfriend that I love and a job that I enjoy. There is a lot in life to enjoy and I am doing that.

Those are just the thoughts off the top of my head. In many areas around the US there are support groups to go to. NAMI is one group Their meetings are attended by people with mental illness and family members of those with mental illness. They can help you navigate the healtcare system that is in place and can also give you a group of people to get some support from.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread