It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

PM1792 HB User
depersonalization disorder

I was wondering if anybody has any real-life experience, or knowledge of Depersonalization disorder. My ex-boyfriend, who I am not longer in contact with, and probably wonít be again, used to worry that he has the disorder (he never actually went to the doctor or had a diagnosis) but after reading up quite a bit about the disorder, I keep thinking that it is a possibility; it explains a lot of his behaviour sometimes and although we were very close there were certain things that just didnít make sense to me. I was wondering, what sort of factors increase the possibility of the disorder occurring? He went through a phase when he was about sixteen, smoking cannabis occasionally, probably for the duration of about a year. Also, he has suffered from emotional/verbal abuse from his mother for quite a long time, possibly his whole life. I would describe his father as something like Ďemotionally absentí and he has virtually no relationship with his older sister, and never really did. From things he has told me, I know that she wasnít really ever very nice to him while growing up or display any sort of affection towards him. Anyway, she left the home when he was just 11. Can factors such as these increase the likelihood of getting the disorder? I am just interested because it would explain a lot to me, but he never actually consulted a doctor. He may have now, I donít know, I havenít spoken to him for a few months. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread