It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
(female)

danielleep HB User
Two aunts with midlife onset of psychosis

Just recently, we've had two aunts demonstrate psychotic behavior. They are my fathers sisters, and almost everyone in the family suffers from some type of depression as well. My Aunt K began having psychotic delusions around the age of 48 or 49, and within a few years, after many attempts, finally succeeded in taking her own life. She was always withdrawn and quiet, but never delusional until mid life.
Her sister, my Aunt J, is a few years older than her, and in the past year or two has had numerous physical health problems. She has a tumor that cannot be operated on, but can be treated and she is able to live with it. However, over the last year or so, has become increasingly depressed, withdrawn, and just this past week has been experiencing delusions and psychotic behavior.
No one has been able to explain what they might be suffering from, if it is late onset schizophrenia, or something else. They both seemed to be suffering from anorexia prior to the onset of the mental symptoms as well.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? We are not sure how to proceed to help her.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: Two aunts with midlife onset of psychosis

Wonder if it could be early onset Alzheimers? That can run in families,,Is there any way a family member can talk with her and her doctor and have some tests done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
family, genetic, mid-life psychosis