It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
(female)

emart48 HB User
I need help.

Hello,

I do not suffer from anxiety but unfortunately my boyfriend does and it's put such a strain on our relationship especially because I have no idea how to handle it and usually my reaction is to get angry and that never makes anything better. So I would really appreciate any advice as to how I can handle his anxiety better. Like maybe some techniques or useful secrets would be great.

Thanks,
Emily

Old 03-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: I need help.

Hello emart48.

Do you know what type of anxiety your boyfriend has, such as general anxiety disorder or social anxiety? Has he received treatment for his anxiety in the past or is currently seeking treatment? If not, I think therapy and maybe medication may be able to help him with making his anxiety more manageable for him.

My advice is to be patient and compassionate with him regarding his anxiety. Try to avoid saying something like telling him to just get over his anxiety and instead say something like you're willing to listen if he wants to talk about his anxiety or you're willing to help him if he needs help with managing with his anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
advice needed, caregivers