It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
(female)

statikkat17 HB User
Question Older sister with Borderline Personality Disorder

hi, I live at home with my parents and my older sister. My sister has Borderline Personality Disorder and can't function on her own, so she is still living with us. Its really hard to deal with her tantrums and meltdowns and freak outs. We've had to call the cops a few times and she's been sent to the ER numerous times.
She is currently in DBT and CBT but it doesn't seem to be helping a whole lot.
It's like she has the maturity of a 7th grader, verbal filters like a 1st grader, and can't even take responsibility for her actions and words.
Its like living in a war zone every day, not knowing if bombs are going to go off or whether there is going to be open fire on you and everyone around you.
Does anyone have any experience with siblings with BPD? Some moral support or just other peoples stories would be comforting to get me through this last year that I have to stay at home before I finish high school.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
(female)

Hanna226 HB User
Re: Older sister with Borderline Personality Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikkat17 View Post
hi, I live at home with my parents and my older sister. My sister has Borderline Personality Disorder and can't function on her own, so she is still living with us. Its really hard to deal with her tantrums and meltdowns and freak outs. We've had to call the cops a few times and she's been sent to the ER numerous times.
She is currently in DBT and CBT but it doesn't seem to be helping a whole lot.
It's like she has the maturity of a 7th grader, verbal filters like a 1st grader, and can't even take responsibility for her actions and words.
Its like living in a war zone every day, not knowing if bombs are going to go off or whether there is going to be open fire on you and everyone around you.
Does anyone have any experience with siblings with BPD? Some moral support or just other peoples stories would be comforting to get me through this last year that I have to stay at home before I finish high school.
I have advice for you. Stay out of your house as much as possible but keep it totally positive. Join some things. Music, sports, writing, etc. Look in the newspapers for ideas. These make good excuses for being out of dodge and also help you develop important skills for being on your own. Spend your time cultivating positive connections with people while being involved in creative things. Do your homework in the library. Hang out where there are lots of people at your local university if you can. Surround yourself with people who are doing what you want to do. Save as much money as you can. Forget clothes and gadgets, etc. There will be plenty of time for that later. Save everything and start thinking about paying for cars, insurance, rent. You will be fine if you create your own space and stay positive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
(female)

statikkat17 HB User
Re: Older sister with Borderline Personality Disorder

thank you, thats what I'm doing as much as i can
I recently got a part-time job and i go to a local college full-time (to finish high school).
and I'm trying my best to be independent, i also recently got my drivers license and i plan on getting a second seasonal job over the winter just so i don't have to be at home during the holidays.
thank you for the advice i'm pretty much following it already, i appreciate the support so much.

Reply Reply

Tags
borderline, disorder, personality, stories, stress