It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
(male)

rupen HB User
Question how to behave with my depressed sister

hi,,,,i've a problem concerning with my depressed sister.she is 37 yrs old and married.we live in the same house with her husband.her first marriage ended in divorce and after few yrs she married again but her marriage life is not going properly even worsen than former relationship.1 yr ago,we took her to hospital because of her illness,doctor referred her psychiatrist.now she is taking medicine regurally.one day she dint take medicine,she became shaking and couldn't breath smoothly.the main thing is that her behavior is totally changed.i barely see her smiling.she always looks like tired,unhappy,sorrowful,hopeless,helples s and very aggressive.she has not good relationship with friends in work even with best one.its very hard for me to communicate with her i mean she takes every word negatively.she doesn't like other person's compliments.at that time she looks like she is burning.so i've no idea how to get back my sister.no idea how to behave.does anyone have any suggestions?thx

Last edited by rupen; 08-19-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
(male)

scarecrow447 HB Userscarecrow447 HB Userscarecrow447 HB User
Re: how to behave with my depressed sister

Many times the problem is the medication that she was put on making her depression worse. Even though she had withdrawals from not taking it one day i would suggest her tapering off the meds and seeking help from a psychologist not psychiatrist. In my depression i find working things out with words over pills is always better hope you can get your old sister back, best wishes

The Following User Says Thank You to scarecrow447 For This Useful Post:
rupen (08-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: how to behave with my depressed sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupen View Post
its very hard for me to communicate with her i mean she takes every word negatively.she doesn't like other person's compliments.at that time she looks like she is burning.so i've no idea how to get back my sister.no idea how to behave.does anyone have any suggestions?thx
Hello rupen

Sit your sister down and have a heart-to-heart with her. All that really needs to be said is "sis,I know your having an uneasy go at things these days and I just wanted to let you know that I love you;after all,we're family."
Then give her a hug,if you feel the timing is appropriate to do so,saying that you're there for her,if or when she needs you..

Your sister is depressed and her brother wants to help,where he can;that is admirable.

Sincere Respect
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 08-22-2012 at 12:38 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Pacifier (08-29-2012), rupen (08-22-2012)
Closed Thread