It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
(male)

Tas0630 HB User
Trying to figure out my Father

Hello all. I just found these forums and I was hoping I could get some help regarding my father. Just recently, I realized my dad may be suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder. After spending a few hours researching the disorder, it seems like he has many of the symptoms, though not some of the major ones. The major traits he does show include never being wrong (ever), being somewhat overly concerned about appearance, expecting others to know and do exactly what he wants, being extremely sarcastic, and taking advantage of others.

Living with my dad was pretty difficult. He was strict and hypocritical. It was absolutely impossible to even come close to winning an argument with him and he yelled often. But living with my dad wasn't all bad. My dad seemed to always want me to have fun (a lot of my friends go to their cabin up north and I was almost always allowed to go). When it came to hanging out with friends, he was laid back. Though now I wonder if he had an ulterior motive. All of my friends thought my dad was awesome and cool because he'd play video games with us and didn't mind doing other kid stuff. I don't know, I don't feel like he had an ulterior motive. Now my dad set pretty high expectations for me in school but they didn't seem too ridiculous, if I did really well, he told me he was proud of me, though he liked to say (in a somewhat joking tone) that I got all my smarts from him. So based on my childhood experience it's hard for me to determine whether or not he's a true narcissist, I feel like he may just have a lot of narcissistic tendencies because the one thing I've never seen him do is expect praise and admiration from me or talk about himself excessively to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
father, narcissist, npd