It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Redlands CA USA
Posts: 490
katkatdd HB User
What to do? Where to turn? Need help for my son...

Hi all!

I have some concerns and questions and thought maybe I could find some answers here?? Some quick history my sons father has bi-polar ( he has not been in his life since he was a little boy) my son is now 19 almost 20.. My son started showing signs of bipolar at around age 16-17. He also has played football his whole life and I am also concerned about concussion or possible even tumor issues as he has complained about headaches and has visual disturbances for a long time now as well.. My son is now at the point where he won't go outside much, seems confused about alot of stuff, will literally sit ALL DAY in front of computer watching the same videos over and over again, goes from acting like a 5 yr old (giddy and giggly) to extreme anger, explosive if I try to talk with him about seeing a doctor. He seems confused about common issues like what day it is, what he is doing, etc... The look in his eyes seems to be distant almost like he isn't (here) with us if that makes sense??

He did see a doctor about 2 yrs ago when this first started. He now REFUSES to see any doctors and says he is fine. I am worried and know he is NOT fine. I worry about him also because he is a big kid and has been in some trouble about 2 yrs ago because of this disease I believe. He is still on probation but has not been in any trouble since. But I worry about the police because they just see him as a BIG guy and my son can snap at a drop of a hat and get loud and look intimidating, He has NEVER been violent but if you don't know him he looks like he could get that way if he starts rambling and getting angry and excited. Those episodes do not last more than a minute or so and then he is back to his self. He is more like a gentle giant I would say. But the police do not know that I worry that put in a situation something might happen to him... ( I have seen it before) So my situation is I don't know where to turn??? I don't know what to do?? I don't want to call the law or get them involved at all as the trust is not there. But I am so heartbroken and know my son needs help. Not even 100% sure it is bipolar but with a family hx of it and with the hits he has taken thru out his life with playing football I really worry...

If anyone could point me in the right direction or has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.. Please no rude comments or judgmental comments. I am just at a loss and have tried to get help for him in the past. When he first got into trouble he had to spend about a week in jail and it destroyed him. It made him worse. He had no idea why he was there and what was going on. He cried like he was 5 to me and literally was not in the right frame of mind then... But he refuses to seek help and is at the age now that I am not sure I can step in anymore and make him get help..

Thank you for taking the time to read this long story. I am just a concerned parent.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:38 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!