It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
(female)

wen76 HB User
confabulation

My sister in law has been diagnosed with confabulation,if you google that word it will tell all.
What her problem is she is convinced she is marrying a locum doctor she went to in the summer after having an allegic reaction to wasp sting,
however he is no longer at her sugery but she is convinced in her mind that they are to marry,she is 82 years old,she said he is the head doctor of all our hospitals and surgerys, also she says he is chief of police ,she has even bought a weddding ring for £350,I could go on all day about the tales she believes are correct.
Has anyone else heard of this and can anything be done ? the medical proffesion do not seem to think so.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User
Re: confabulation

Hi. I've never heard of confabulation as a Dx, but it is tragic. It reminds me of a former friend who was Dx'd with "paraphrenia" (along with bipolar II). I understand the paraphrenia to be one who has the delusions of schizophrenic level, without the other symptoms of schizophrenia. He tells bizarre tales endlessly. They aren't all real delusions, some of it is honestly just chronic lying in a pathetic attempt to get more attention and make himself sound important. For this reason, he has no friends and I found it too painful to be his friend. Are confabulation and paraphrenia kind of the same thing? Atypical anti-psychotics were prescribed in the case I mention, but he refused to take them. I wonder if AAPS could help your sister-in-law...Honestly, I don't know, but I hope she is under a doctor's care. Good luck!

Last edited by TinoRock; 11-22-2012 at 10:19 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to TinoRock For This Useful Post:
wen76 (11-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread