It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
(male)

anonymous2276 HB User
Strong OCD's and anxiety, which is destroying family. Please read.

Please can you spare some time to read this passage; it'll be much appreciated.

Hi. I'm not sure quite where to turn with this, but I am hoping someone can give me some constructive advice on what to do with this particular situation. I am a 18 year old boy. I have quite a 'dysfunctional' family, which makes everything worse. My father suffers from Lewy Body, which is a type of dementia closely associated with both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases. He is quite an old man, whom is in his early 70's. My mother was a party animal, who did a lot of drinking and drug abuse, which wound her up having Schizophrenia. I have one older sister who is at the age of 22. She has been on and off strong antidepressants in the past 3-4 years.

Now, one of my half brothers is in his 40's. I had to move in with him, as I would've been taken into care, when everything started to crumble at the age of 14. I am, and always will be very grateful for this act. He used my best friend, as he always spent time with me. Over the last 2-3 years, he has developed some form of OCD's. He suffered from some prostate problem, and the medication was very damaging to him mental (only found recently) health, but it was that or death. When he was in his younger years, he was also a heavy drug taker. He has suffered from mild anxiety since mid 20's, which is believe is the cause of the anxiety.

Over the past few years, he has got increasingly worse. Everything has to be done on a strict schedule, otherwise he will flip out. He can only do things at certain times of the day, such as eat or just potter around. He can only do something every 2 hours, on the hour. If he misses this time gap, he as to wait another 2 hours. He also makes myself and his girlfriend do his OCD's for him, such as making sure everything is in the right place before he walks into the main living room. His girlfriend, who is an amazing person, has to place his clothes in an exact way as he steps into the shower, make sure all of his bathroom products are stocked up and positioned correctly. On top of this, he has to constantly keep saying her name to deter any bad thoughts. This requires constant communication with him, when he is trying to do something. He associates every subject with something, which he then proceeds to have a massive go at us.

We can't say any negative words, which is very hard to do and can only watch BBC 1 & BBC 2 (not a big deal, but I'll state why). These channels tend to have the news on quite a lot, so you can understand that words like: kill; die; dead; murder e.t.c come up frequently. He treats his girlfriend and myself like dirt. We have to do everything the way he wants, otherwise he'll scream at us and call us disgustingly horrible words. He is the most bitter, twisted and manipulative person I've ever come across. He turns this whole situation back on us, saying it's our fault we mess everything up. He drove my sister to depression. I can't actually explain how he is in person, but he will tear down anyone. As for example, the other day I was at my dads. He said he was coming around to see him. I started to shake and vomit, getting really scared at the thought of just seeing him.

Only his girlfriend and I help him. She is a wreck and constantly keeps coming back and forth. He threatens to kill himself fairly often, especially if we go to get help for him, as he is in fear that he'll be sectioned. I keep out of his way and stay in my room. If he wants something done, he will tell us in riddle form and of course, most of the time we don't get it. When he shouts at us, belittling us, he flairs his nostrils, snarls at us like an angry dog, uses aggressive hand motions and on occasions, as threatened to hit me. He has threatened to shut me in a lift, (I'm very claustrophobic) break all the lights and leave me in there, so I can experience how I make him feel with his anxiety, when I do something wrong.

I don't know what to do. I could go on. I have made him sound sweeter than he actually is. It's destroying everything about me and my family. I need to help him, but I don't know how. If anyone has experience with this type of situation or not, please can you share your thoughts on what I should do with my current situation. We have a family doctor, but he will just come and put him away. My brother will never talk to me again if I do get him sectioned. I don't want to do that, but I'm so lost. I don't mind if he never sees me again, if that's the cost of getting him better.

Thank you for your time. I hope everyone had a lovely christmas on a brighter note. .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
aggression, anxiety, depression, ocd, sad