It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
(female)

Umma HB User
Worried Mum

Hi everyone, I've decided to join this board as a means of support...but to be honest I'm not sure I'm in the right place. I have a 14yr old highly intelligent daughter who has recently been diagnosed with depression, an eating disorder and she is also cutting. She has been taking 20mg of prozac for nearly 4 weeks and appears to be more social and less irritable. Her purging has also decreased, however she still has suicidal ideation and is still self harming...she is seeing both a psych doc and a psychologist. As the medication continues to kick in will it eventually ease the negative thoughts and self harm. Any comments would be helpful particularly if you or somebody you know has been through a similar experience. Happy New Year by the way may 2013 bring you peace and joy xx

Last edited by Umma; 12-31-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Worried Mum

Hello Umma.

I think the medication may help to ease the intensity of her depressive symptoms. Therapy on the other hand is more effective I think with helping her change the negative thought process that's driving her to cut, purge and have suicidal ideation. I think it's good she's showing signs of improvement. However, I think something crucial to consider is whether the signs of improvement are just the result of her feeling better or has she also learned healthier coping mechanisms to better control the urge to purge and cut?

When I'm feeling okay and life is going good for me, the problems of suicidal ideation and cutting are non-existent for me. It's when my mood plunges downward and life looks bleak is when thoughts of suicidal ideation and the urge to cut really flares up for me. With your daughter I think it's not just about helping her to recover from this depressive episode, but also ensuring she becomes more resilient to any future depressive episodes she may have.

The Following User Says Thank You to flamesabers For This Useful Post:
Umma (12-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
(female)

Umma HB User
Re: Worried Mum

Thank you for your advice flamesabers her psychologist said that the meds would help her to think more rationally which would then allow her to adopt the strategies that are suggested when the urge to cut or purge arise. I do agree with you about resilience - she will need to learn to recognise triggers and as she develops greater self awareness. It has been an extremely stressful and scary time knowing that your 14 yr old "just wants to die."

Closed Thread