It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

im1here HB User
Unhappy how to deal with anger if you cant speak or move

I take care of a 27y.o man who has brain damage due to a drug overdose last year. He is unable to speak, and is pretty much immobile because of it, however, he is alert and able to communicate when asked yes/no questions.
Today he had a look on his face as though he was upset. After a few yes/no questions, I was able to learn that he was angry and frustrated about his brain injury.
His movements are pretty slow and limited, so punching a pillow is not something he can do...I put on some music after asking if he'd like to listen to "****** off music", and gave him a washcloth to bite into as hard as he could...
Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can help this guy express his anger? I can't imagine what it must be like to be confined in a wheelchair with slow, stiff muscles and no voice...
Thank you in advance for you help!

Reply Reply