It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
(male)

tgif1959 HB User
why so many calls

My brother has been schizophrenic for the past 39 years. he has been in and out of many care type facilities. Over the past year or so he has started to strike people with his fist or hand or an object. he went 37 years without ever doing that and now for whatever reason he does it several times a week.
I get a phone call from his current facility every time he does this.
Its been a long 39 years of coping with his illness. Do they really need to call me 4 times a week? What am I supposed to do ?
He has 6 other living brothers and sisters and they for the most part pretend he does not exist.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: why so many calls

are you the "emergency contact"? maybe the facility only has your number and not the other brothers numbers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
(male)

tgif1959 HB User

well even so do need to know each and every time he does it ?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

maybe tell them that what he does while he's there is out of your control and you are depending on them to keep him under control.......put the responsibility back on them....where it should be

Old 03-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
(male)

tgif1959 HB User

That is true, it is out of my control, and apparently, based on the fact that he has done the same thing about 25 times while staying there, it must be out of their control too. Thanks for the thought I'll think about doing that.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

if he's done the same thing 25 X's they should be either smart enough to anticipate his behavior, or smart enough to make some type of change so it doesn't happen again......
insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
(male)

tgif1959 HB User

sounds like the insane are leading the insane..They usually just put him "on watch"...over the years he has had some real nice care facilities but he always gets bored with them and has progressively moved from good ones to the one he has now, which is bad. Even when he was in those independent living apartments he'd wind up doing something that would result in being confined and from there wind up back in a spot with fewer freedoms . His behavior of late seems self destructive.
Thanks again.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

is it possible he isn't getting the right medication? how often is he evaluated by a psychiatrist?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
(male)

tgif1959 HB User

well he has been evaluated for almost 40 years and has had his meds tweaked and re-tweaked so I'm not expecting any miracles as he approaches 60 years old. I am surprised over the aggressive behavior as most people mellow as they age.

None of his doctors have ever called me with their feelings on his medications and I do not know enough to question them if they did so I put my trust in them to do what is right.

Closed Thread