It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
(female)

Jennifer0895 HB User
Could my son be bipolar?

Hello, I'm hoping you all could help me get to the bottom of my son's issue. He is currently diagnosed ADHD, but lately his behavior and mood have become so volatile and irratic that we feel like there must be something more going on. He is a great kid, funny, friendly talented. But in a moment, and usually without cause, he will fly into a rage. Today it was over taking his medication (which he takes daily, so it was no surprise that he would be expected to take it) He was so worked up, he could hardly breathe and the episode lasted at least an hour. It was so bad that my oldest son took his two younger brothers and left the house altogether.
He's always had tantrums, but lately he has become increasingly angry and verbally abusive toward me (something we have never condoned, so it's not like he's learned that it's okay to be disrespectful). I've been reading about bipolar and most of the characteristics sound like my boy. He's bouncing off the walls one day, and furious and hysterical the next. Once in a while, we even get a day where he seems like things are alright, but those days are getting fewer and farther between. He's an athlete, but lately his perfomance is irratic, sometimes he gives absolutely no effort into the sports that he usually loves. He's failing several subjects in school and is in danger of being held back. He's just got no focus, or orginization skills (which is why the school insisted he had ADHD)
It's getting harder and harder to have peace in our otherwise peaceful home. His siblings are all either fed up or terrified by all of this, but I honestly don't think he can control it for the most part.
I should mention that my aunt is schyzophrenic, and there is a family history of alcoholism. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jennifer0895:
Phoenix (03-31-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

dv8er HB User
Re: Could my son be bipolar?

Hi! How old is your son? How old was he when he as diagnosed with ADHD? What medications is he taking? Depending on his age, irritability, outbursts, and anger may be indicative of depression. I can def see how you might see bipolar in his case. Children manifest depressive and manic symptoms differently than adults, so our perspectives might be slightly skewed. Poor little guy!
I think it's telling you mentioned a close family history of schizophrenia (and alcoholism). How did the symptoms in the aunt manifest? At an early age or early/late adulthood? Honestly, the quicker and earlier you are able to address any potential prodromal symptoms, the better. Does your son see things, smell things, hear things that may not be there? How is he with animals? I know, scary questions, but you're absolutely doing the right thing by asking. He's lucky to have parents who care!!

Closed Thread