It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
(male)

breaker123 HB User
Worried friend has mental disorder - Need Advice!

I have a friend who has, ever since I've known her, (in my opinion) been a little "out there" in terms of thoughts about herself and others. For example, she is in her late 40's (soon to be 50) and has written and professionally recorded pop music and thinking she was going to be as big as Britney Spears, Katy Perry, etc. She even went as far as purchasing a tour bus w her image on it.

She is a very generous woman and has always loved helping and serving others. However, this trait has turned into a potentially harmful one. In the past year she has found religion and is now becoming detached from reality and the main reason for my concern. She claims to speak with God/Jesus Christ and talks about him almost like a boyfriend/lover relationship. About 9 months ago she began going around to various venues (bars, restaurants, airports, hotels) to sing because she said that's what God has instructed her to do. Now she is done with that task, but now she thinks she is pregnant and about to give birth. She is almost 50 years old, has no uterus (from a hysterectomy 11 years ago), and has no boyfriend or partner. She claims God has put a baby in her and she is convinced she is going to give birth any day now.

The reason for my post today is because she's been speaking of something major that is about to happen and she is going to be with God soon. She has stated that her house and this world is going to burn and only the ones who believe and have put their faith in God will be the ones to be "saved". She has begun to donate and get rid of furniture and other expensive large items in her house because she'd rather let someone have them rather than have them burn in a fire.

She speaks of how Jesus had to carry his own cross and basically plan his own death and therefore she is speaking of planning her own funeral. She is saying she can't be cremated because she will be resurrected at a later time. She has told some of her loved ones and is planning on writing letters to the most important people in her life (I'm taking it as good-bye letters).

She said she can't take her own life, but that she has to suffer death like Jesus did.

I could go on and on about her behavior but that is the gist of what I'm dealing with. Don't really know what to do, but I feel I have to do something soon. I want to express my concern without thinking I'm against her and without having to call 911 or the police. I am leaning towards having some sort of intervention (perhaps with a professional) and hoping she will willingly see a health care professional. Don't know if she would be willing to do that since she will probably think we are all wrong and she'll feel nothing is wrong with her.

She is divorced with two minor children and has no blood relatives on the West Coast. Her main circle of friends/loved ones close by are the employees who work for her company, her nanny, myself, and a maybe a couple others I don't know about.

Please help!

Last edited by mod85; 06-19-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
(female)

mugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB User
Re: Worried friend has mental disorder - Need Advice!

I don't know what she has, but she sounds like she has a mental illness with delusions and maybe hallucinations. I guess it's good she has a nanny. I think she needs to be on medication pronto. Good luck. You sound like a good friend. Or maybe if not an intervention, if you made her an appointment with a psychiatrist who can prescribe her something, would she go with you? She's not rational so I'm not sure she would come to her senses because of an intervention. I guess the advantage of an intervention would be you would have support of the other people and maybe she'd agree to get help and could choose who she wanted to go with.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Worried friend has mental disorder - Need Advice!

Has anything happened with your friend?

Your post is very concerning. I hope you thought to contact her children.

Closed Thread