It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
(male)

Luau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB User
Can you have a depressive who is engages in aggressively angry episodes?

Can depression and angry aggression towards others co-exist?

I am genuinely puzzled and need some insight. For someone who comes out and says that she is depressed, but she goes through episodes where she is hyper aggressive, picks fights. It's almost like bursts of mania, but these bursts lasts only about a day or so.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
(female)

QuazBot HB User
Re: Can you have a depressive who is engages in aggressively angry episodes?

Absolutely.

Depression doesn't negate other emotions, especially not anger. From everything I've ever read (and experienced), teens, especially, are more likely to be angry and aggressive or volatile.

It's also possible that she has Manic (Bipolar) Depression; which is characterized by episodes of depression followed by episodes of "mania" (hyper, happy, etc).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
(female)

mehappy HB User
Re: Can you have a depressive who is engages in aggressively angry episodes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau View Post
Can depression and angry aggression towards others co-exist?

I am genuinely puzzled and need some insight. For someone who comes out and says that she is depressed, but she goes through episodes where she is hyper aggressive, picks fights. It's almost like bursts of mania, but these bursts lasts only about a day or so.
Sure you can. My husband is like that. He has depression with a Capital "C". But when he gets angry, the rage that has been building up inside of him comes out so terribly that he does the same, he gets aggressive, he picks fights. And it does not last all that long.
As a therapist told me, someone who has depression is not sad all of the time, it is that their emotions are just duller and all around blah most of the time. But if that person also has anger in them, like my husband does, stand back. It can explode and that is the episodes you are talking about.
Its rough. Hugs to you.

Closed Thread