It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family Planning / Adoption Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
(female)

steckles HB User
Adoption. Have Any parents been through this?

can you offer details such as length of time, international versus domestic, costs upfront, the whole screening process?

any information pro or con would be incredibly grateful.

Due to some recent extremely disappointing health discoveries, my system cannot create a baby or carry one.

This is quite difficult to come to grips with being the mothering age, always picturing a larger family of my own, loving kids and having most of my friends just starting their families, along with many nieces and nephews.

i have selfish reasons and also selfless reasons to consider adopting...

it is the biggest decision i have ever had to make in my life and no matter how much research i find, nothing helps like first hand knowledge. I have been on the adoption boards and reasearched as much possible about international and domestic, there is just soo much information out there and soo many private agencies(not sure if that is the way to go)...

so please share any stories you may have, it is greatly appreciated!

help? thanks

Old 09-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ALM HB User
Re: Adoption. Have Any parents been through this?

Hi Steckes. I wanted to let you know that my Dh and I are going down the road of adoption now. It is something that I am thrilled about and Dh is taking his time to come to terms with it. I would say that the best thing you can do is what you are doing, researching online and talk to people who have done it. That is has been the most helpful for me. I have talked to so many people who have already adopted one or two children and have filled me in on some of what I need to know. Good luck to you! There are many babies out there in need of loving homes. I pray that both you and I can give homes to at least one of those babies.

ALM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB User

I just have to say that I am overwhelmed with pride for the two of you, and all others considering adoption. I hope that your DHs come to terms with it---I knwo it's a bit overwhelming at times. I'm praying for both of you and hoping that you can get your babies really really soon. Please keep us updated.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
(female)

dolphin27 HB User

My DH and I are nearing the end of our domestic adoption process. We started in July of '05 with an informational seminar. We went to the agency and one of their adoption social workers met with us and told us all the highs and lows of adopting and also answered any questions and addressed any concerns we were having. We then submitted our application for adoption in Sept. We were on an initial waiting list for a year and then were called to start our homestudy, the homestudy process took about 6 months, but could have happened a lot quicker. Our social worker is amazing and was willing to work with us at our own pace, thus the 6 month homestudy. After the final approval we were put on the official waiting list of possible adoptive parents, which is where we are right now. Any day now we could get a call that we were chosen and are to come get our baby. Some things to consider with our situation, we are adopting a new born, so it will take longer, we live in an area where adoption isn't as popular so the waiting time is considerably shorter than in some areas. We were told that in New York, you are basically approved and the draw for adoptive parents is about like a lottery. In our case the birth parents read over our bios along with any other possible adoptive parents and then makes the final decision based on that.

That's just a short over view, and there is so much info I could share with you. I'ld be happy to answer any questions you might have. Just remember that given where you live there will be some variance in the fine details of what you hear from other people.

I wish you the best of luck and I truly hope you can find that peace in your heart to take this leap of faith. I know for me it was hard to come to terms with and I was very hesitant. I had heard so many horror stories and didn't want to live one myself. But then I considered this child, he/she didn't choose to be born to someone who wasn't ready to take care of them, but they were blessed to be sent to someone who did care enough about them to do what was in the babies best interest. Keeping that in mind, I thought to myself I have all the love a child will ever need, and their birth parents had all the love they did to choose adoption for their child.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
(female)

pauline23 HB User

HI

My husband and I are considering that. I am in Australia and the US seems to be much easier. Many Australian go to the US to adopt internationally. I live in Queensland and there are no children for adoption - the wait is about 17 years so I'll be so old by then. So we are investigating international adoption. We have been told that if we get approved it will take about 18months to three years but that will go quickly has it has done with IVF. In Australia you can't be on IVF or other fertility treatment while going through the process. So you have to decide. Not sure if any of these helps. A lawyer that I am friendly with said - go an live in a country, adopt from that country and let me work it out.

Some are taking that risk too.

Pauline

Closed Thread