It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2003, 06:43 AM   #1
Veteran

dayton HB User
Does anybody's feet hurt???

I know this is wierd, but lately my feet hurt when I get up in the morning. Sort of like walking on cut glass. yesterday at work they hurt so bad I went home and tookl 1/4 of a vicodin (can't take more than that cause it makes me sick). I massaged my feet before I went to sleep but then woke up at about 3 cause they were hurting.

Every happen to you????

Old 12-17-2003, 11:49 AM   #2
(female)

painsucks HB User
Re: Does anybody's feet hurt???

Hi Dayton,

Yes, this happens to me a lot! My feet not only hurt on the bottom, , but they hurt on the top too. I've described the pain on the top more like that of a really bad cold sore on your lip! This is kind of a new symptom for me, I've been experiencing it a lot for about the last 3 months. Gotta love this disease, it always hits you with something new, guess it's never boring, right? I am having a really hard time getting through any Christmas shopping. By the time I get out of my car and into the mall, I'm already too tired to do anything, and I haven't even got inside to any stores. I've found that internet shopping is the way to go this year! I hope you get some relief soon, Happy Holidays.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2003, 09:55 PM   #3
Inactive

Wittesea HB User

I get this all the time, it's called Plantar Faciitis.

There is a lot of misinformation about Plantar Faciitis. There are a lot of people who think it means 'heel spur' because it is common to have PF when you also have a heel spur, but you can have PF without having any problems with your heel bone.

Plantar Faciitis is caused when the facia tightens, or becomes 'knotty' on your foot. (facia is the same substance that causes problems in Myofacial pain). So PF is like having myofacial trigger points on the bottom of your foot. For more info on Myofacial Pain and Trigger Points, see this thread [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=134207[/url]

You can get pain in your heels (especially when you first wake up and take your first steps of the day) and on the top and bottom of your feet. It is worst in the morning because your facia tightens up when you are sleeping.

The best ways to try to solve the problem are to -

1.)wear good shoes with proper arch support... this will help to 're-stretch'- the muscles, tendons, and facia on the bottom of your foot... and don't walk around barefoot (or in slippers, sandals, or high heels).

The best thing for Plantar faciitis is to wear good shoes all day. I hate shoes and love slippers- so I got a set of arch supports and put them in my slippers, and it helps a lot.

2.) stretching the bottom of your foot and the back of your calf. A good stretch is to put your toes on a step and dip your heel below the step... any stretch in which your toes are pointing up (not down) will help to stretch the foot and your calf.

3.) ice when it hurts, heat when it doesn't hurt.... the ice will help to calm the inflamation that is causing the pain- the heat will help stretch and loosen the area.

4.) don't sit too long without stretching your legs/feet, but don't stand or walk for an extended amount of time either... it will take time to find a good balance of rest and exercise so that you don't cause foot pain.

5.) massage will also help to loosen up the muscles, tendons, and facia, and one of the BEST foot massages is to put a golf ball on the floor and then step on it and roll it around under your arches. It may hurt a very little bit in the first minute or 2, but it works so well. (if it doesn't hurt a little bit when you first do it then you aren't putting enough pressure on the golf ball, push down enough so that it feels a little bit uncomfortable- that means that it is working... it sucks at first, but it will help so much in the long run).

Plantar Faciitis is common in people with Fibromyalgia. My mother and I both have Fibro and PF, and my doctor told me that 50% of her fibro patients complained of PF symptoms over the summer because they were walking around barefoot (or in flat sandals with no arch support) all day long.

My PF was so bad over the summer that I was actually having arch cramps that would make my toes curl down and freeze my whole foot in this weird, awkward, PAINFUL position... and it felt like I was walking on glass all day long. I plan on buying sandals with arch support next year

But since I started stretching and wearing good shoes (and slippers with arch support) I don't get the arch cramps anymore, and I only walk on glass once in a blue moon now

I hope this info help both of you to have less foot pain...

~Wittesea

Last edited by Wittesea; 12-17-2003 at 09:59 PM.

Old 12-18-2003, 07:07 AM   #4

mamu710 HB User

Hi all,
I haven't been diagnosed yet, but my oncologist said he thought I have fibro. I go to a Rheumatologist tomorrow. I have been having foot pain also. Just this morning. I've been finding this board very helpful. You all have alot of great information!
Any suggestions as to what ot look forward to at my appointment? I'm very nervous.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:40 AM   #5
Inactive

Wittesea HB User

Hello and Welcome!

Your first appointment with a Rheumatologist will most likely include the following-

*** a full history- The doctor (or nurse) will ask you a lot of questions about your own health history as well as the history of family members. They will also probably ask you about your symptoms. If you tend to be forgetful (like me) it would help to bring a short list of your symptoms (including when they started, how bad they are, etc...). It's important to tell them about any and all symptoms that you have- even if you think it is related to something else.

*** a full physical exam- This could include a lot of poking and prodding (including a tender points exam) as well as reflexes, range of motion, strength tests, etc... My exams at the Rheumatologists office have been the most complete physical exams that I have ever gotten. If you are in pain because of all of the poking and prodding then absolutely let them know. It is not uncommon for someone who has Fibro to be sore for several hours after a full physical exam.

*** lab tests- Some offices take the blood sample in the office, but most of them give you a lab slip to go and get your blood drawn at a lab. They will probably run a full Rheumatological panel of blood tests which can be between 10-20 tests. When I had my full blood panels done they took 14 vials of blood. There are a lot of tests that they need to do to rule out other things that have similar symptoms to Fibromyalgia.

Don't expect to get a diagnosis on your first visit. The doctor will need to look at all of your lab results before making any conclusions about a diagnosis.... Sometimes a Rheumy will tell you that it is "probable" Fibro and other times they won't tell you anything at all until your follow-up visits.

Sometimes the Rheumatologist will not do all of these thing on a first visit, so don't think that you have a bad Rheumy if they don't do all of the above things. Diagnosing someone with Fibro is more of an art than a science because there are no tests for Fibro... so the diagnosis is made based on physical findings as well as looking at the lab results that test for other rheumatological diseases. One Rheumy might look at you and your medical file and say 'yes, it's fibro' while another Rheumy could look at the same things and say that it's not fibro.

If you haven't started keeping a pain/symptom journal, now would be a great time to start You can read more about keeping a pain journal here- [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=133356[/url]

The pain journal is not something that you need to have to get a diagnosis, but it can help you better communicate to your doctor about your pain and other symptoms... plus keeping track of your pain and symptoms will help you to see if there are any patterns to your pain (which helps in the long run to reduce your pain).

There is a symptoms list of Fibro in this thread- [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=133869[/url]
I have brought a copy of this list to my Rheumatologist's with me and I made check marks next to all of the symptoms that I have... (it helped me so that I didn't have to try to remember all of them)

I understand being really nervous before an appointment, I still get nervous before my appointments I try to get completely relaxed the night before I do anything 'big'. I take a long hot bath, eat ice cream, and convince my husband to rub my feet while we lay on the couch and watch a good movie... anything that will keep my mind off of tomorrow

I hope that your appointment goes well Check in tomorrow and let us all know how it went... and let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with

Best Wishes,
~Wittesea

Old 12-18-2003, 09:58 AM   #6

mamu710 HB User

Wow! Thanks Wittesea! I will try and make out a list. I do think I may have arthritis also. I don't know. I guess I'll see what happens tomorrow. Hope he's a good one!
I'll post my results with the doc. tomorrow.
Thanks again!!!

Old 12-18-2003, 03:58 PM   #7
(female)

painsucks HB User

Hey Wittesea,

Thanks for reminding me about the PF! I had forgotten that I'd gone to the doctor a couple of summers ago because the pain in the bottom of my feet was so bad and he'd told me that it was probably PF. As you pointed out, I was wearing a lot of cheap sandals that summer, can't do that anymore! But don't you just hate sensible shoes? Just kidding, I'd rather wear sensible shoes than hurt like I hurt when I wear cheap sandals. One thing that my doctor suggested I do for the pain was to put a can of frozen juice on the floor, place my foot (with a sock on) on top of the frozen can of juice and gently roll it back and forth with my foot to kind of massage it, it really did help, the ice helped reduce the swelling too. So, Dayton, try it, it might help your poor sore feet.

Old 12-20-2003, 10:29 PM   #8

jkacope HB User

My feet use to hurt all the time.My rhumy put me on 1500 mg. of coated naproxn a day.It's helped alot with the foot pain and joints.
hope this helps.
kathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayton
I know this is wierd, but lately my feet hurt when I get up in the morning. Sort of like walking on cut glass. yesterday at work they hurt so bad I went home and tookl 1/4 of a vicodin (can't take more than that cause it makes me sick). I massaged my feet before I went to sleep but then woke up at about 3 cause they were hurting.

Every happen to you????

Old 12-21-2003, 06:38 AM   #9
Inactive

JDD-JAG HB User

Hi Dayton,

Are you still monitoring your Health Board thread here.
If so can you tell me were you in the military? If so, were you stationed overseas?
I have similar feet pain, but what youíre saying are symptoms I had years ago. Are you a Diabetic? Fibromyalgia might not be your medical problem with you foot pain.

Old 12-21-2003, 08:43 AM   #10
Veteran

dayton HB User

My husband was in the military and I lived 5 years in Europe (Ramstein AFB, Germany) but we travelled extensively throughout Europe while we were there.

Now that you mention it, both parents are diabetic. Well my dad is dead (cancer) but my mom's diabetes started in her late 40's I guess. She controls it by food.

I never thought about it, but do you think I should get tested. I stay thirsty alot and get up at night to get a drink. Sugar seems to make me sick sometimes (like a coke or a candy bar) really upsets my stomach.

Wierd, huh???

Old 12-22-2003, 07:52 AM   #11
Inactive

JDD-JAG HB User

Dayton,

Since you were not in the military and in Vietnam, Agent orange is ruled out for your feet problems. There are non-diabetic reason for foot pain. But do get a diabetic test if you have not got one, especially if a family member was a diabetic.

JDD-JAG

Last edited by JDD-JAG; 12-22-2003 at 07:53 AM.

Old 01-04-2004, 07:42 PM   #12

jkacope HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayton

Every happen to you????

my rhumy put me on 1500 mg of coated naproxen and it helped my feet alot.also helped achy joints.
kathy

Old 04-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
(female)

Uner HB User

Yes, my feet, legs, back, and shoulders hurt very much after walking. Also, the outside of my body feeling comes back more when I exsercise (I was told this will get worse before I feel better) It seems weird that I can walk up to 1 1/2 miles and be in so much pain and feel strange. I want to stop but when I do not walk, I feel even worse. At least, I am helping my weight and heart. It is hard to understand that doing something so good for you can make you feel so painful.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #14
(female)

j2s2 HB User

omg my god, i always seem to have foot pain. This morning my feet hurt so bad from wearing my sandals yesterday. Did a lot of running around the office and today I'm wearing my most comfortable pair of loafers, but they still are sore.

I have a horrible time trying to find good comfortable shoes for my feet not only that but I have a bunion on my right foot so that only complicates things more when shoe shopping. Any suggestions on a good brand of shoe. My feet ache so bad by the end of the week.

I guess I need to read up on this PF thing and mention to my doctor. I never thought about bring this up, but it sounds like i need to. I don't wear heels I hate them, and I only wear sandals a couple of times a week. I hate FM it starts with one issue and before you know it a whole list of other things pop up.

Thanks for the info. My feet always ache when I first wake up and first slip into my shoes. Boy oh boy the things we people with FM go through.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:11 AM   #15
(female)

Blessed Grandma HB User

Last night my feet were on FIRE. I got up and massaged them with bagbalm then put on socks. finally the pain lowered. My hands were also burning but not as bad as my feet. A few years ago it was my neck shoulders and back that gave me soooooo much problems. I also have chest pain from my lungs. My allergies are severe and when my chest seems to fill; I have alot of pain until I can cough it out. But not without help from prescription decongestion, and an inhailer. Oh, and lots of water.
My Grandkids help keep my spark alive. I thank God for them all.
Blessed Grandma
3 and 1 on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ........Well........ the sun is rising.

Closed Thread