It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2004, 04:45 AM   #1
Inactive

GEDEN13 HB User
plaquenil

hi, i was treated for lyme last year with abx.my doc now sez that the lyme went to fibro.which i no nothing about.i continue to take plaquenil along wth amitriptyline.nyway ,i was wondering,is plaquenil a medication that is used to treat fibro? i still believe i have lyme.the symtoms are almost the same.thought i was confused before? anyone here help with info?thanks.....gary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Inactive

waiting4acure HB User
Re: plaquenil

Hi Geden..

Originally about a year ago the doctor told me I had shingles and another swore it was lyme. The pain was terrible and when the pain started to move in noted fibro areas another doctor expressed the possibility of it being fibro. I have all of the tender points, big time. So many symptoms....forgetfulness, anxiety, headaches I never had before, burning feet,stiffness in hands at times, balance problems, knee pain. When the weather changes...rain for examply the pain is a 10. Theres not doubt mine is fibro....I hope you find an answer to assure you what exactly you have. It's very frustrating.

Gentle hugs and a painfree day. B ( :

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
Inactive

tzty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEDEN13
hi, i was treated for lyme last year with abx.my doc now sez that the lyme went to fibro.which i no nothing about.i continue to take plaquenil along wth amitriptyline.nyway ,i was wondering,is plaquenil a medication that is used to treat fibro? i still believe i have lyme.the symtoms are almost the same.thought i was confused before? anyone here help with info?thanks.....gary

Actually plaquenil was originally used for malaria and they found out that it helps with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or "Lupus") and rheumatoid arthritis. It is not a pain reliever nor is it FDA approved for this treatment. Look it up under drugs and health in yahoo or google. There is alot of information there. They are now saying that Mucinex is helpful with the pain of fibromyalgia. It helps some, as I am taking it for a sinus problem I noticed some change, acutally alot of change for about two weeks till my most recent flare up and now nothing is helping me.

I never heard of lyme disease causing fibromyalgia. Did you search the web for information on it???

Good luck and stay warm and stress free...it helps.

Old 02-09-2004, 03:58 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused1 HB User

i am taking plaquenil because i have to many red blood cells plus bextra

Old 02-10-2004, 06:12 PM   #5
Inactive

tzty HB User

Hi Dazzedandconfused1,

Just a few of the side effects from taking Plaquenil Abdominal cramps, abnormal eye pigmentation, acne, anemia, bleaching of hair, blind spots, blisters in mouth and eyes, blood disorders, blurred vision, convulsions, decreased vision, diarrhea, difficulty focusing the eyes, diminished reflexes, dizziness, emotional changes, excessive coloring of the skin, eye muscle paralysis, "foggy vision," halos around lights, headache, hearing loss, heart problems, hives, involuntary eyeball movement, irritability, itching, light flashes and streaks, light intolerance, liver problems or failure, loss of hair, loss or lack of appetite, muscle paralysis, muscle weakness and wasting, nausea, nervousness, nightmares, psoriasis (dry, scaly, red skin patches), reading difficulties, ringing in the ears, skin eruptions, skin inflammation and scaling, skin rash, vertigo, vomiting, weariness, weight loss

I never heard of it being used or any blood problems....nor with Bextra. I just wish these doctors would pay atteniton and use them for what the FDA has approved them for and by their guidelines. Look it up on the net.

I also suggest before getting any prescription filled double check with your pharmacy....a pharmacist actually is more updated with information on drugs then doctors are.....I learned that the hard way.

^..^)))~~~

Old 02-10-2004, 06:47 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Unhappy Re: plaquenil

my rhuemotolist put me on plaquenil along with baby asprin to try to thin blood out because she said i have a rare disorder of couse didnt say what it was yet except there is no cure and i will need chemo but said it was her last resort and when time came she would have to treat it agressivly i did look it up it is used for a few different reasons one to try and slow proggesion down because my red cells are multipling i did look it up it also says plaquenil to dampen down the immune system i have to go back in april for more blood work as the bextra the spine doctor put me on it i have alot of things wrong with me i was also diagnoised with fibromyaliga,rhynauds syndrom ,high blood pressure,osteoarthritis, ,high cholesteral,bilateral carpel tunnel,,ddd of spine disc bulg with annular tear at L5-S1,lumbar facet arthropathy disc protuusion spurs,livedo reticularis,myalgias had a deltoid muscle biopsy sent it to mayo clinic.cervical spondylosis,benign gerd,and she has me on cancer watch.ddchanges at c4-5-6-7 i also have spinal bifida occulta.

Old 02-10-2004, 06:51 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyshow
Hi Dazzedandconfused1,

Just a few of the side effects from taking Plaquenil Abdominal cramps, abnormal eye pigmentation, acne, anemia, bleaching of hair, blind spots, blisters in mouth and eyes, blood disorders, blurred vision, convulsions, decreased vision, diarrhea, difficulty focusing the eyes, diminished reflexes, dizziness, emotional changes, excessive coloring of the skin, eye muscle paralysis, "foggy vision," halos around lights, headache, hearing loss, heart problems, hives, involuntary eyeball movement, irritability, itching, light flashes and streaks, light intolerance, liver problems or failure, loss of hair, loss or lack of appetite, muscle paralysis, muscle weakness and wasting, nausea, nervousness, nightmares, psoriasis (dry, scaly, red skin patches), reading difficulties, ringing in the ears, skin eruptions, skin inflammation and scaling, skin rash, vertigo, vomiting, weariness, weight loss

I never heard of it being used or any blood problems....nor with Bextra. I just wish these doctors would pay atteniton and use them for what the FDA has approved them for and by their guidelines. Look it up on the net.

I also suggest before getting any prescription filled double check with your pharmacy....a pharmacist actually is more updated with information on drugs then doctors are.....I learned that the hard way.

^..^)))~~~
i have had most of these before i started plaquenil

Old 02-10-2004, 07:46 PM   #8
Inactive

tzty HB User

Dear Dazedandconfused1,

Tell your doctor you want a name for this. If he is withholding the name of this blood disorder that is not good. Did he send copies to your family doctor??? If so ask the family doctor. Something is not right to say you have a blood disorder, order medicines and then say you will need chemo. I think it is time to get some answers and fast. Contact the hospital and tell them you want copies of all the lab reports and results on you for the past year. This way you know what is going on. They have to by law give them to you. I would be very careful of this doctor. I don't mean to sound scarey to you but no doctor should ever and I mean ever tell a patient what he told you. I would be crazy with worry, and my husband would have been on the phone demanding information.

The aspirin will thin the blood....but not sure why the plaquenil. I mean that makes no sense. Will look and see what disorders I find and get back to you on that. It scares me for you.....please get all your reports from the hospital. It will help you and you are entitled to a copy. I get mine every six months even if it is only one report. I also get my family doctor to make copies for me. I need them for the other doctors and the hospital is frowing on sending them to a total of 5 doctors.

Stay in touch....will keep you in my prayers, Big Hugs, ^..^)))~~~

Old 02-10-2004, 07:59 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Dear Dazedandconfused1,

Tell your doctor you want a name for this. If he is withholding the name of this blood disorder that is not good. Did he send copies to your family doctor??? If so ask the family doctor. Something is not right to say you have a blood disorder, order medicines and then say you will need chemo. I think it is time to get some answers and fast. Contact the hospital and tell them you want copies of all the lab reports and results on you for the past year. This way you know what is going on. They have to by law give them to you. I would be very careful of this doctor. I don't mean to sound scarey to you but no doctor should ever and I mean ever tell a patient what he told you. I would be crazy with worry, and my husband would have been on the phone demanding information.

The aspirin will thin the blood....but not sure why the plaquenil. I mean that makes no sense. Will look and see what disorders I find and get back to you on that. It scares me for you.....please get all your reports from the hospital. It will help you and you are entitled to a copy. I get mine every six months even if it is only one report. I also get my family doctor to make copies for me. I need them for the other doctors and the hospital is frowing on sending them to a total of 5 doctors.

Stay in touch....will keep you in my prayers, Big Hugs, ^..^)))~~~
i have a copy of my blood work it is a she rheu. i see my family doctor on the 16 and he is going to go over things for me my husband was with me when this was said we are a little worried cancer runs in my family big time

Old 02-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

i have had most of these symtoms way before i even started this medicine i started betra for inflamatory i take 200 mg twice a day for plaquenil my blood work showed neg. for rhumitoid arthuritis and lupis thanks for infromation i could use it

Last edited by moderator2; 02-11-2004 at 07:12 AM.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:39 PM   #11
Inactive

tzty HB User

Dear dazedandconfused1,

Keep me posted as to what is going on.

I am so sorry your so ill. It is not something I wish on anyone and I will keep you in my prayers. You don't deserve this.....Super Big Hugs for you, Joyce ^..^)))~~~

Last edited by moderator2; 02-11-2004 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Please do not post commercial websites for any reason. Do not copy from them. Do not post the material of others. Please carefully read, know and follow the Policies and Guidelines. Thank you.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:25 AM   #12
Inactive

GEDEN13 HB User

thankyou for your replies.had forgoten i posted this.have memory,confusion comprehend problems.and a host of other maladies all related to lyme.been taking plaquenil since oct.have had 2 surgeries on right knee in the past 18 months.(last one they removed the synovial lining)have been dx with chronic lyme arthiritis.now rhuem doc sez i have fibro.gotta see him next month.see eye doc every 3 months to monitor plaquenil.can any of you tell me if i am seeing the correct doc to treat fibro?(rhuem.) have so many questions.can any of you point me in the right direction?like i said i have confusion...memory...comprehend problems.maybe 9th..10th grade level now.whole situation sux....thankyou....hope you are well,,,,,,,gary

Old 02-11-2004, 10:23 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Dear dazedandconfused1,

Keep me posted as to what is going on.

I am so sorry your so ill. It is not something I wish on anyone and I will keep you in my prayers. You don't deserve this.....Super Big Hugs for you, Joyce ^..^)))~~~
thank u i will keep u posted

Old 02-11-2004, 10:28 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEDEN13
thankyou for your replies.had forgoten i posted this.have memory,confusion comprehend problems.and a host of other maladies all related to lyme.been taking plaquenil since oct.have had 2 surgeries on right knee in the past 18 months.(last one they removed the synovial lining)have been dx with chronic lyme arthiritis.now rhuem doc sez i have fibro.gotta see him next month.see eye doc every 3 months to monitor plaquenil.can any of you tell me if i am seeing the correct doc to treat fibro?(rhuem.) have so many questions.can any of you point me in the right direction?like i said i have confusion...memory...comprehend problems.maybe 9th..10th grade level now.whole situation sux....thankyou....hope you are well,,,,,,,gary
i also have been just diagnosed with fibromyalgia i see a rhuem.for this she found it

Closed Thread