It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2004, 01:03 PM   #1

typingterror HB User
Painful blood draws

I have only met a couple of fibro victims with this condition. When I go for lab work it takes usually at least 3 techs to draw blood and then I walk out with so many Band-Aids on I look like I have been in an accident. My veins are very tiny and they have to use pediatric equipment. As soon as they get into vein it rolls and collapses. They now start with applying heat pack to hand and don't even go for any other part of arm. I did an extensive research on this problem and finally found a doctor who stated this was common in people with chronic fatigue syndrome and gave suggestions to help alleviate situation. By far the best was asking tech to apply nitro paste to area as it will serve as a vasodilalator. However, when you give this suggestion they look at you like you are totally from another planet and keep on threading the needle where it refuses to go. For this reason lab work is really a stressful situation and then they usually cannot get enough vials and will call lab to see what is least amount they can get by with. I have a friend who has to have her wrists lacerated with a scapel and then stitches for blood draws so her arms are totally useless for next few days after visit to lab. Awhile back I had to have kidney scan with dye and about went into shock from pain of IV dye infusing. With such poor IV access it is very concerning as one never knows down the road what can happen. I feel this should be made a permanent part of my medical chart where it calls attention like in allergies, but problem is that I am only one concerned about this condition. Maybe I need to get medical info tattooed on my body. (TT)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #2

mannhattin HB User
Re: Painful blood draws

I have the exact same problem with my draws and IV's. they have to use pedictric supplies and alot of times have people from the lab come and do it because floor nurses can't do it. Even though they like to try. I have one good nurse at the day surgicare center that I go to to have my injections done (since I go every 2 weeks) She was the one I had the first time I went and I make sure that she is going to be there when I am sch. my appointments. she always uses lidicane before she puts the IV in and while it is in there she put it in the so It won't hurt.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:52 PM   #3

sparkey HB User

Hi
I too have trouble with collapsing veins and dread having blood drawn. I have only 1 decent vein in 1 arm that they are able to get anything out of and find that by applying heat pack to arm and immersing hands in hot water for a few minutes before blood is drawn, it helps.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:47 PM   #4
(female)

la_brat HB User

I don't officially have FMS, but both our daughters do. I do have trouble with blood draws from the veins at the inner elbow. I have discovered the veins in the back of my hands are easy for them to hit and do not feel as though they are pulling the blood from my shoulder (as the vein collapses). The technicians look at me funny when suggesting it as though the back of the hand draw would hurt more. For me it doesn't hurt at all and I wind up with a smaller bruse on the back of my hand than my arm and it is not as deep.

Old 05-13-2004, 03:33 AM   #5

typingterror HB User

Thanks ladies for responding. This topic probably scared everybody else to death who does not have this problem. I would think having this particular symptom would point to some deficiency in our body as it certainly is far from normal, but it seems to be no big concern to anybody except for ones being poked and prodded. (TT)

Old 05-13-2004, 04:09 AM   #6
(female)

Dee74 HB User

I've also had this problem for as long as I can remember.. I have one decent vein that I always tell them to go after. It's the only one that doesn't roll or collapse (IF I get a good nurse), but they never listen to me and go after another one!! Of course, it'll collapse or it'll roll and they'll sit there digging around for it. I swear I'd rather them poke me 20 times than dig in my arm. They all do it even though I BEG them not to dig around. OMG ow

Once when I was in the hospital and dehydrated, it took a total of 9 tries between 4 different nurses just to get an IV in. Then that one ended up collapsing the next morning and they called anesthesia up to put it back in instead of poking me a hundred times. Well, he tried twice.. and told me if he couldn't get it in on the 3rd try, apparently he was going to put it in my neck!! Anyone ever heard of that?? Luckily he got it in.. in my darn FOOT with a pediatric needle

Old 05-18-2004, 11:27 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Dave0787 HB User

What's going on here isn't actually a problem with blood draws themself.

It's actually a problem with the way Firbomyalgia patients percieve pain.
This is something that has been well studied, and is the reason why Fibro pain is assumed to be soo bad.

What happens is simply this:
A normal person gets a paper cut. Yep.. it hurts. However there are a limited amount of pain sensation that is release. Kinda of an equal action gets equal reaction deal.
In Fibro it is different. For some reason not yet known, when you get that papercut, the flood of pain sensation releases much stronger, and to a much higher level. What is actually a paper cut, feels more like major abdominal surgery. It's not a greater injury, your body is just feeling that it is. This is why mammograms are extremely painful for women with Fibro.

The next time someone says your "over reacting" to that pain, invite them to take a little journey and learn how Fibro patients FEEL THINGS!

David Adams, ARNP

Closed Thread