It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2004, 07:41 AM   #1

WICHRIS HB User
Pain

Hi everyone-just when I thought things were getting better.. I had my MRI done and my PCP called sameday and said I have a disk at C5,6 that is pressing on my spinal cord-thus the terrible pain I have been having at the base of my neck radiating to the shoulder blades and down my spine...ughh
Now I am scheduled to see the Physiatrist to do EMG test and help with better pain management-I am currently on Neurontin,Vicodin,Flexeril-my PCP said he felt the Physiatrist would be better at dosing oxycodone,etc but I told him I didnt want to use those meds-so I am trying to get through the pain with just the Vicodin.My diagnosis of Fibro was fairly recent-6 months
ago and this disk problem started 2 months ago-what a horrible roller coaster!
I am sorry this post is so negative-I guess I just needed to vent...I havent
told anyone at work-my job is really demanding,50 + hrs. a week and I am
just trying my best to keep up..Does anyone know if they could use any
steroid injections to allow me to keep working and help with the pain ? My
PCP is hoping the Physiatrist can help or else surgery might have to be done..
I am scared..

Thanks-Chris

Old 05-15-2004, 08:35 AM   #2

typingterror HB User
Re: Pain

I know how it is to be scared. Have really bad back with arthritis and severe osteoporosis so I get sciatica pain where I can barely walk at times or wobble due to pain. I feel like I am a passenger on the Titanic and I cannot swim. Is it a ruptured disk? Anyway I did a search on ruptured disk and Mayo Clinic has an excellent article on this stating that most cases are treated with conservative treatment and have success rate of 90%. Surgery is only done in extreme cases and they now have more procedures which are done on outpatient basis. Treatment of course includes meds, ice/heat therapy, epidural injections, learning correct techniques to bending/lifting, etc. It is very long and indepth article so I only glanced at part of it but I encourage you to read it as it will hopefully alleviate some of your anxiety. I hope you have your appointment with physiatrist soon as waiting is nerve wracking also. Some days are hard to find anything positive. Please keep us informed of your condition, treatment as you will always find somebody here who can relate to your circumstances even though they may not reply but you can tell by number of people viewing thread. (TT)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread