It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2004, 11:24 PM   #1
(female)

beezkneez HB User
Unhappy My MOM....Fibromyalgia?

Hi, I am your normal everyday 21 year old except for one thing....I am trying to help my Mom with a misery that no doctor around here has been able to diagnose or fully treat her symptoms. It tears my heart to pieces seeing her this way. No one can really understand unless you see her and know how much pain she is in. I live with it everyday and I just want to get her help. She says that she can't stand it anymore and she feels like she won't be here much longer. But I love her...she is my Mom and my best friend. Here are some of her symptoms:

1. She develops hives if her skin is aggervated (ex. if you squeeze her arm or if her pants rub her and if her shoes aggervate her feet.) The hives itch awfully expecially on her feet and become very hot, sometimes even blistering the skin, and then they hurt.

2. She becomes very worn out after little exercise. (ex. walking from her room to the living room.) She is unable to walk long distances without her knees and shins hurting.

3. She has these body aches. She said it feels like the flu. It started out as once a week and went to three times a week and now it is everyday. Every muscle in her body hurts. She said it feels like it goes down to the bone. The only partial relief she can get is laying in a hot bath.

These are just some of the symtoms, the most serious of them. She has been tested for many things and all the doctors can tell her is that they don't know exactly what it is. She was tested for lupus and fibromyalgia and they said it wasn't either. She has to take medicine for her thyroid and celebrex for some of the pain. But nothing really helps. Is there anyone out there that knows what this might be or knows somewhere that we can take her to get tested for what it may be? If you do know maybe what it is could you possibly recommend any medication she may talk to her doctor about that could help her? Thanks for your help if there is any you have to offer. I would take her place in a heartbeat if I could because I hate to see her in this pain so if you can help please do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 08:05 AM   #2

typingterror HB User
Re: My MOM....Fibromyalgia?

Your mother is very fortunate to have such a loving caring daughter who can understand her pain and want to help. Now finding a doctor is a whole other matter as it basically involves changing doctors continually until you find one who is believes in fibro and will treat you or refer you to someone who has the more knowledge, perhaps rheumatologist or neurologist. Treatment varies from patient to patient and we all react differently to meds provided us so it is trial and error. It is a very depressing condition to have and demoralizing running from doctor to doctor as this produces so much stress which further exacerbates the condition. Best of luck with her journey in finding a decent doctor as they are few and far between. (TT)

Old 05-18-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
(female)

beezkneez HB User

Thank you for your post. I told her that if there is a doctor anywhere in the world that can help her then we will find them. She like you said is just tiered of going from doctor to doctor telling her we don't know what this is and she is tiered of being poked and pronged at. I guess we can have hope and find someone who knows what they are doing soon. Thanks again Terror

Old 05-18-2004, 09:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

I write about this all the time, since it affected me so much. It may be different for other people, but I thought I would let you know, from my experience.

Have you researched the possibility that your Mom may be poisoned from mercury from mercury-silver dental amalgams and other sources? Does she have a mouth full of these gray-black metal fillings? Dentists often call them "silver" fillings, but these are actually composed of mostly mercury and they leak and accumulate mercury in the body continuously. Apparently there are hundreds to thousands of people who have gotten well, after they were removed. I'm one of those, that lets people know.

Doctors in general are so much in the dark about this, that even as some of you read this, you may be also skeptical. But trust me that if anyone has these mercury fillings, you have mercury in the body. It's extremely poisonous and very difficult to remove once it's locked in the tissues. How many of us just take medications, or pain-killers to get rid of the headaches, or muscle aches? How may of us may be poisoned this way, and do not know it?

I got some of the worse headaches, when my tooth broke and exposed that one dental amalgam. I was so glad the dentist took care of that tooth first, and removed the mercury. I remember those headaches...they would start around the eyes and move towards the back of the head. I just didn't know what to think. But I finally got the connection a little over 10 years ago. I thank God that I discovered this, and that there were some people that have been courageous enough to inform some of us.

My story span decades. I was told not to run more than a hundred yards by a doctor in 1978. Now, I run nearly 20 miles a week. Some days I feel 20 years younger, which is a switch from the way I felt before. About eleven to fifteen years ago or so, I thought at times that I was at least 90 years old. When I tried to run, it was pathetic. One time I remember someone throwing water at me from a car, while I limped along a sidewalk. Why is it that some people are mean to us that struggle like old people? Is it funny to pick on us? I fought as a crippled person, just constantly trying to beat this thing with diet, herbs, and nutrition. My thoughts of using a wheelchair or cane or worse were in my mind. Being stubborn, I refused to yield with every bit of strength that I had. I wondered, where was this all going to take me?

Why can't doctors get it? Why are they so blind? If only more people would take the time to realize the enormity of the problem, then maybe a lot of you would have to suffer less.

Anyway, check out the possibility of chronic mercury poisoning. Also there's some issues concerning root canals too that you can read about. I'm always here and about, if any of you have questions.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:05 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Dave0787 HB User

The others are very right. Your mother is extremely lucky to have such a caring daughter.

One of the reasons I became a pain managment NP was because of my mothers "all over/unknown pain" Today I know it's Fibromyalgia.

Just from the information you list, several things sound possible. Without a full physical exam and some tests, it would be impossible to pin it down.

Just let me say that there ARE people out there who care enough to figure out whats wrong with your mother. There ARE people who care enough to treat the illness, and even treat the pain. Five years ago when I started prescribing opioids for Fibromyalgia, people thought I was nuts. Now, it's becomming very commonplace.

Just hang in there, and keep being a support. Your mother will need you, and it sounds like you love and need her.

David Adams, ARNP

Old 05-20-2004, 10:48 PM   #6
(female)

beezkneez HB User

Rhody, We've never thought about mercury poisoning. My mom does have silver fillings so I will check that out. Also, we have a little place called Oak Ridge right up the road about 15-20 min. away that used to deal with mercury and it may be in the ground and water up there. I am so glad that you feel better and hopefully I can find someone to help her as well. Thanks for your post.

David, my mom was tested for fibromyalgia and I think they were wrong. I read a book on it and her symptoms are too much like it. Then again it could be something else. We don't know yet. I just think none of the dr's around here want to deal with trying to help her. We are still looking for dr's and we've already gone through 5 of them. I am glad that there are people out there like you who do want to help and I just wish you were in TN to treat my Mom. We'll keep hope! Thanks for your response.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:48 AM   #7

typingterror HB User

I believe doctors confronted with women with fibro want to get rid of patient as soon as possible as they believe that it is a "mental" problem rather than physical and they do not want to deal with it. Seeing inadequate doctors does eventually turn us into mental problems and we are subject to get hostile from being run around the block continually which further verifies their original idea that we are just wacked up hormones out of control. I thought seeing a female doctor would better situation, but it was no different which made me even more furious. It seems that they do not remember oath they took originally and are only qualified to be on the Band-Aid squad. Keep trying as the rest of us are doing and hope for a miracle that you find an adequate doctor. (TT)

Old 05-22-2004, 10:57 PM   #8
(female)

beezkneez HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by typingterror
I believe doctors confronted with women with fibro want to get rid of patient as soon as possible as they believe that it is a "mental" problem rather than physical and they do not want to deal with it. Seeing inadequate doctors does eventually turn us into mental problems and we are subject to get hostile from being run around the block continually which further verifies their original idea that we are just wacked up hormones out of control. I thought seeing a female doctor would better situation, but it was no different which made me even more furious. It seems that they do not remember oath they took originally and are only qualified to be on the Band-Aid squad. Keep trying as the rest of us are doing and hope for a miracle that you find an adequate doctor. (TT)

You are so right! It's like they don't even care and just think she's doing it to get meds or something. But I've seen what she goes through. I am starting to have some of the problems myself. They aren't anywhere like hers (it's not contagious) but I know a little how she feels. I argued with one doctor about her symptoms. He was a stupid jerk anyways I think we are going to try some doctors in Nashville. It's 2 hrs away but if there is someone there to help her than the travel will be well worth it. But she can't sit or ride in a car for long periods of time so... But she is so tiered of going to doctors and getting blood works and physicals all the time and the doctors coming back telling her there is nothing wrong when we know there is. Just keep praying for us as I pray for you all and I'll keep hope. Thanks

Old 05-23-2004, 02:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

Doctors saying nothing is wrong is also typical of chronic mercury poisoning. For reasons unknown, apparently individuals have different reactions to mercury.

So much is unknown about this problem. Our medical community is so slow to understand. That's what magnifies the problem. Very few people can help us with professional care.

What I found that greatly helped me prior to having my mercury fillings removed, was nutrition and herbs. I suggest that if anyone is still skeptical that mercury fillings are poisonous or other toxins are causing problems, to at least start there. Try the sensible diet. Review herbs as healing foods.

At first, the new diet for me (that avoided processed foods), made the pains less. The herbs also greatly helped. If I took too many herbs, then I would get very itchy red rashes. I was so sick at one time, I didn't care what happened to me. I tried herbs in great amounts, knowing that I was entering into "uncharted territory". It was so scary for me to do all of this without doctor's help, but the alternative pain and suffering was too great. At one point, doctors were doing nothing for me or making me worse. I gambled and won, after decades of experimentation.

I just wish so many other people would realize how this affects so many of us. It's a big problem...and we can get better.

Last edited by rhody; 05-23-2004 at 02:44 PM.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:05 PM   #10

babybearjenn HB User

My mom also has fibromyalgia, she was diagnosed like 11 years ago, her meds have done nothing but go up in amount and different kinds , I am 32 and dont live with her anymore, we live like 10 miles apart, Im not sure what she is taking now, but it seems to me that she cant have or do anything functional including regular bodily functions without some kind of medicine. I know she is on morophine patches, neurontin, xanax, and the list goes on and on and on. I remember before she had a dx, it was hell being a teenager with a mom that couldnt do ANYTHING! we live in central florida and she has a good doc i am very thankful for, so I support you because I know having a mom with this horrid disease is NOT easy
Much love and prayer
Jenn

Old 05-28-2004, 11:58 PM   #11
(female)

beezkneez HB User

Jenn-Yes that is exactly what it is like. My mom is on at least 8-10 meds a day. But even these meds don't seem to help any. They did for a while and now...nothing. My mom doesn't understand why I don't go out and do stuff that people my age do but how can you tell your mother that you love and want to help that you stay home for her...because really she needs me. I love my Mother more than life itself and one way or another we are going to find her some peace. Even if that means going half way around the world to do it. Thanks for your post Jenn and my wishes and prayers for you and your mom.

Closed Thread