It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2004, 04:58 AM   #1

typingterror HB User
Fact or fiction

In Birmingham, AL, Dr. Rodger Murphree has pioneered a successful treatment program for fibromyalgia. In his recent book, "Treating and Beating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome," Murphree states high doses of magnesium are the most important part of fighting the symptoms. Magnesium is in 300 different bodily processes. It is a natural muscle relaxer and helps to make certain neurotransmitters. He recommends that a person suffering from fibro take at least 500 mg of magnesium a day. One patient states this new method of treatment has worked for her and now is pain-free.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:17 AM   #2

fugetabouddit HB User
Re: Fact or fiction

Typingterror, this is very interesting, as I posted just last night as to what I thought was provoking my Fibro. After reading your post, I did a brief research on the link between magnesium and Fibro. It has been said that stress plays a very big role in diminishing the levels of magnesium and also malic acid in the body. Seeing as how my Fibro began during a very stressful time in my life and me being high-strung by nature, it is worth following up on. This, in combination with the approach I am willing to take to tackle my Fibro (massage therapy and water aerobics) could possibly help; But I assume I could also benefit through some sort of stress management as well, since that is what I believe to be the core root of my Fibro. Looks as though if this is the "cure" for my Fibro, I am going to be a very busy person just dealing with trying to keep it under control! I am in Alabama and am only a hop, skip and jump from B'ham, so I may check into the Dr. you mentioned. Also, there was a recent article in the newspaper here on the benefit of eating cherries. One guy eats about three jars over a period of a month and he claims it has helped with his pain. I wonder if the deficiency Dr. Murphree spoke of can be found in cherries?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2004, 12:10 PM   #3

typingterror HB User

Interestingly AL has the state with highest fibro patients. I think it was 38% while Hawaii has the lowest. In my twisted little mind I think "OMG I lived many, many years in GA..." Guess we have to pack up and head for Hawaii. Do you think we can deduct living in Hawaii on our income tax under medical bills? I have tried magnesium, but never in that high a dosage. Right now I am drinking cherry juice. If nothing else it gives one a good pucker daily. Could that be counted as exercise? Keep us informed if you check out the magnesium deal as this would certainly be a reasonable thing to try. Trying to eliminate stress in life is a project in itself and I have to work on this daily which is probably causing me more stress! (TT)

Old 05-19-2004, 03:17 PM   #4

bebettersoon HB User

Very interesting. My doctor started me on Liquid Magnesium two weeks ago. I am taking 30mls twice a day (it's delicious by the way - orange flavoured!) and it is helping my pain tremendously!!! I can by it 'behind the counter' at my local Pharmacy. The Pharmacist says that the liquid Magnesium is absorbed more efficiently. Although it is not covered by my drug plan and costs $34.00 per month for my supply it has made my pain threshhold bearable. I feel like a new person. My doctor has also started me on Gabapentin which should help my pain as well. It also works on helping with depression and sleeping better. I only started it last night so I will update everyone in a few weeks. The one side effect to watch out for is possible dramatic weight loss according to my doctor. Woo hoo!!!

Old 05-20-2004, 08:14 AM   #5

WICHRIS HB User

My PCP also started me on Neurontin about two months ago first 300mg/day and more recently 1800 mg/day and I believe this medicine has helped the most with controlling my overall joint/muscle pain . However,I did have trouble
at first with the higher dose making me feel less alert,etc but now it does
not bother me at all.

Chris

Old 05-20-2004, 08:14 AM   #6

WICHRIS HB User

My PCP also started me on Neurontin about two months ago first 300mg/day and more recently 1800 mg/day and I believe this medicine has helped the most with controlling my overall joint/muscle pain . However,I did have trouble
at first with the higher dose making me feel less alert,etc but now it does
not bother me at all.

Chris

Old 05-22-2004, 07:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I took magnesium for a long time and it did help me a lot. I ran out, slowly my symptoms worsened, and it was only today that it dawned on me that the lack of the magnesium supplement was probably the reason I am feeling worse all over. You can bet I will be getting some tomorrow!

Carol
morphine pump

Old 05-23-2004, 02:15 PM   #8
(female)

mollymadison HB User

I have recently started feeling horrible. Dramatic changes just over a month. I went to the ER 2X last week. The said that I have liver inflammation and that's what could be causing the pain. Has anyone heard of Fibro being attached to this? the 2nd time, the ER Dr. said it was Fibro. I have the sensitive touch points that I didn't have a week ago. He also suggested Magnesium. I started it yesterday. I started a multi vitamin last week. I will let you know how it works. I am already taking Neurontin for bi-polar disorder. So I can't speak to that helping or hurting.

Closed Thread