It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2004, 09:54 PM   #1

sadeeanne HB User
Question Able to Work?

I was diagnosed with FMS about 12 years ago. I had to quit my job as office manager/secretary about 8 years ago because I had a complete and total breakdown. My pain was so severe I couldn't think. I felt like screaming--so I did. I was on mental disability for 3 years (until that ran out) and then no income for the last 5. My husband has a good enough income that we were able to pay bills, but credit cards were piling up since my husband continued to spend like I still had an income. Anyway, I am back at work 2 days a week working in my church office. I love the job, but my pain has increased, and I recently fell and sprained the outside muscle/tendon of my left leg, was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, and I'm exhausted most of the time. Has anyone been successful in returning to work after having to quit because of fibro pain, etc.?

Old 05-21-2004, 06:02 AM   #2

typingterror HB User
Re: Able to Work?

I can feel your pain. It is devastating to have to give up work. I went to part-time almost a year ago and am fortunate to work from home. I work 7 days a week so I only have to work about 3 hours a day, but it is a challenge. Would trying to work lesser hours and more days help? It is worth a try. I feel like it is so important mentally to try to feel like we are doing something worthwhile and try to focus on something besides the pain. I pat myself on back every day when I complete my work as I know that there are very few people with true fibro continuing to work. (TT)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2004, 01:28 PM   #3

mere HB User

Yes, I hear you! I am still working full-time and commute 50 miles per day. Sometimes, it is just unbearable and I usually feel completely wasted when I come home.

I used to attend night school and loved it. That came to a screeching halt.

It is frustrating for people like us, people who are healthy just cannot understand.

I am trying to learn to focus on what I do each day - not what I used to be able to do or what I can no longer do.

Wishing you well.

Mere --

Old 05-21-2004, 07:04 PM   #4

fugetabouddit HB User

"I am trying to learn to focus on what I do each day - not what I used to be able to do or what I can no longer do."

This is the concept I am trying to harbor now. The emotional pain of admitting I am no longer able to do the things I once could is saddening, let alone dealing with the physical pain. Even though I had moderate pain just five years ago, I worked in the legal field up to 10 hours a day and attended school four nights out of the week. On the weekends, my husband and I would work out together and then go out dancing and I could literally stay up all night. Now the pain/fatigue is so terrible, I am lucky to roll out of bed by 9 without having to nap again around mid-afternoon. And we rarely go anywhere. Even walking through the grocery store takes a toll on my body within hours of returning home. I know that the latest opinion is that FM/CFS is not progressive, but my body is telling me otherwise. Which is why I have chosen to file for disability. I tried more creative and flexible work schedules and this illness is just too unpredictable. Unless a cure is found, I do not look to work again anytime soon.

Old 05-22-2004, 09:46 AM   #5

MrsChickapea HB User

After working for many yrs. as an office mgr./bookkeeper/sec., I too had to say uncle!! Yes, in my estimation, FMS is very unpredictable as well as very progressive. There have been episodes of a sort of remission, but it always returns; with a vengeance.

Will be turning 55 soon and I cannot imagine returning to work. My work schedule was changed several times over my last 3 working yrs., and another individual was hired to help out, but none of the above seemed to matter or help. I've had FMS for approx. 16 yrs. and have yet to find a helpful doc or meds. that have made me feel real well again.

One day at a time must be the answer for us; slowly and in small amounts!!

Old 05-22-2004, 04:27 PM   #6

MistyMisty HB User

I am suggesting that you apply again for disability no matter how long it takes. Work under 20 hours a week, and not even 20 hours. You can apply if you work less than 20 hrs. a week while you apply. Go for it now! MistyMisty

Old 05-23-2004, 12:17 AM   #7

sadeeanne HB User

I tried to get SS disability several years ago, but the employer I worked for when I had to quit working was self-insured and did not pay into the SS system (city government employer). I worked for 8 years without paying into SS, and that made me disqualified to received disability. The only thing I know of to do is work a few years, if I can, to get the credits I need to apply again. My husband makes too much money for me to get medicaid. What else is there?

Closed Thread