It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2004, 03:11 PM   #1

fugetabouddit HB User
Any suggestions?

I am more furious today about this than I was initially yesterday. I posted this to the disabilities board, but posted it here as well. I filed for Disability in November of 2003. To my surprise ALL of my Dr.s were extremely cooperative in sending back the info needed to make a decision. The only prob. was that the info they did send was somewhat vague, so they sent me on a consultative exam with one of their dr's. Again, good response from this Dr. and then I was denied. The denial stated that although it is agreed I am disabled, due to my age (30) there is work out there for me to do. What type of work, I do not know because my work history has always been sit down, light duty clerical work and I can no longer even do that. So I retained an attorney. Okay, flash forward to yesterday. I finally got my appt. with a local Rheumatologist who diagnosed me with several different diseases. I called my atty. to let them know of this and the IDIOT receptionist would not let me speak with my atty. She said she was inputting the info into their computer and that they would handle it from there. I thought, well, you can input all you want but is my atty going to learn of this TODAY????!!!! I had several questions that she could not answer (even if she knew the answer, the law prohibits her from putting in her two cents), nor would she let the atty answer them. One of my questions was concerning a reconsideration and due to the fact that I had new info for my claim, would this help at all to expedite a decision. From what I understand, a reconsideration is much different than an actual hearing. She said "Well, now, this is the $64,000.00 question and I can't answer that". What does she think this is, some type of game show? I did not ask HER the question to answer, I wanted her to relay my questions to my atty. I asked again if I could have the atty. call me back and she said they would handle it. I know my atty is the pro but I do not want to wait to have this new info submitted to the hearing and appeals board months from now. I want them to at least submit it now and see what happens because my mother had the same problem. She submitted her new info and they did what they call "pay on the record" immediately. My background is legal (10+ yrs) and I KNOW how atty's are. They wait and wait and wait. In fact, when I went to this atty to file the appeal, she waited over a month to submit the appeal request. Can an atty representing you for disability be fired if you feel they aren't doing all they can in a timely manner? I know that you can fire an atty. representing you in other areas but I have no clue when it comes to disability law. Any suggestions aside from giving them a visit on Monday and chanting "Hell no, I won't go" until she sees me? I just want to know what her next move will be concerning my claim. And I feel I am entitled to that since if I am approved she will be getting paid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 04:14 PM   #2

MistyMisty HB User
Re: Any suggestions?

Tell the receptionist you want the forms necessary for reconsideration, fill it out and sign it there at the attorney's office. I think there is a thirty day limit for reconsideration. Be sure to state the doctor who last saw you with new diagnosises. You can, for a small fee, get the medical record yourself from your last doctor visit and have the medical paperwork sitting right there at the attorney's office.
I know how frustrating this is for you. I am waiting right now for a reinstatement. Meanwhile I can make no plans. I don't know if I will have an income of any kind next month. It makes our physical and mental health much worse dealing with SS and attorneys.
Yes, you can fire your attorney.
Years ago my attorney got rid of me saying I couldn't win. I got new medical reports and MRI's and also so a psychologist and submitted everything myself. It was stressful but I did better on my own. I am not saying everyone can. Maybe you could wait and see what the reconsideration does as it is expedited. (I spent four years getting my disability.) You have to prove that you cannot do any kind of work at all, not even the light clerical. My own MD never did say I can't work, but I won because of severe depression. Now, they think I might have gotten better and am reviewing my case. It never ends with them it seems. At your young age they might even want you to consider vocational rehabilitation. Please let us know how it goes for you. I am hoping for the best for you. MistyMisty

Old 05-23-2004, 07:28 AM   #3

typingterror HB User
Re: Any suggestions?

My heart goes out to you with all the unneccessary frustration. I am anti-lawyers also, but will be seeking one next month to go after massage therapist who I have quit seeing because she refuses to provide me with an itemized bill and codes to get reimbursement from insurance company. I have reported her to organization she belongs to and awaiting grievance form because with her stating she specializes in fibro patients and should supposedly know something about them which is against their ethics "accept responsibility to do no harm to the physical, mental and emotional well-being of self, clients and associates." I, like you, am absolutely furious and will not let her get away with this as she has no business being in business. This added stress has put me into big decline, but I am determined to get her sorry butt if it is the last thing I do. (TT)

Closed Thread