It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2004, 08:45 PM   #1

usedtobefrosty HB User
22 years old, fms is killing me

Hi. I was in a terrible car accident when I was 11 years old. It left me in severe pain that no one could figure out until I was 18 years old. Fibromyalgia.... My problem is, I'm from Canada, and the doctors here don't seem to recognise that FMS is real. They just tell me that I am 'too young to be disabled', or 'at 22 you shouldn't be in this much pain'. I was diagnosed by a
rhumetologist in a major city, and I cannot afford to go back. I cannot work because of the pain and I have a 14 month old daughter to look after.
Any suggestions for finding a doc that knows FMS... Or anything at all. I am just so tired and I hurt so much all the time. I don't know what to do anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2004, 08:12 AM   #2

typingterror HB User
Re: 22 years old, fms is killing me

I am sorry your doctors in Canada are as bad as ones in states. First it is stress of being ill, then stress of being diagnosed and once diagnosed more stress from finding adequate treatment. It is like having all the cards in deck stacked against you. It seems we spend all our time when capable of running from doctor to doctor and getting more frustrated and depressed. Does Canada have social services to assist you in finding an answer or some service within city you reside? I know we have some areas in states that have medical facilities specializing for people who cannot afford to pay, however a person with fibro is in no condition to spend hours in a waiting room as by the time they saw us we would be admitted to the psycho floor and be deemed as mentally ill which is probably true due to the inadequate medical attention we are provided. I am not young, but equally frustrated as are the majority of us as there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I have been running around in circles since diagnosis about five years ago and have all my hopes right now on seeing rheumatologist Thursday as she seems to be equipped to handle this problem and hopefully will give me some type of relief to some of my problems. Do you have medical insurance? I can only give you sympathy for what you are enduring and wish you luck in finding some relief somewhere. (TT)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread