It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Newbie with ???

My allergies are really bad and Easter morning I woke up with laryngitis. Since then I am getting periods of voice changes more than hoarness, some days. I do have a lot do post nasal drip. I was reading Devin Starlyns book and found she talks about hoarseness in her book. I see a chiro every week and was going to mention throat trigger points to him, but before I could mention it he was checking my throat and found trigger points on both sides of the larnyx. He is using an activator on them, but said the post nasal will set them back up.

I cannot take antihistamines.I am a fmer who reacts to meds very easily, so have been doing the salt water gargles and saline nasal spray. I am still getting hoarseness off and on, but not as bad, have no sore throat or any other symtoms. the pollen count is very high in our area and really am draining.

Anyone else ever had this problem with allergies and fm.

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 06-18-2004, 03:43 PM   #2
Inactive

Ajijaak HB User
Re: Newbie with ???

Yes, yes, yes!!!

I saw that no one had replied to your query - didn't want you to feel alone! :-)

I've had severe allergies my whole life. They demonstrably affect my fibro, and vice versa. And I have trouble with hoarseness somewhat regularly. In my case, the hoarseness doesn't seem to be anything to *worry* about, so I've just ignored it.

Ajijaak

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Thanks for the reply, this was the first time I had the hoarseness, finally after 7 weeks is gone. Was at my Dr. on monday and she checked my throat etc, said it was Post nasal drip. Never knew that FM could cause the PND to make you hoarse, but according to Devin Starlyn, the PND sets up trigger points around your voice box. This DD. is unbelievable.

Thanks again for your time, Linda

P.S. my allergies are chronic and have had them for years but seem to be getting worse, plus I get a lot of hives.

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 06-18-2004, 07:40 PM   #4
Inactive

Ajijaak HB User

No problem!

I also get the hoarseness as a mild anaphylactic reaction to, e.g., insect bites or stings. As far as the hives go, do they just appear or do they seem to stem from a specific cause? I ask because I'm allergic to sulfa, and if I'm accidentally given any I get horrible hives all over my body. I know a lot of FMS sufferers are given Celebrex, but aren't told that it's a sulfonamide (i.e., sulfa-based).

Do you take anything for your allergies? The only thing that seems to work consistently for me is a daily combination of Nasonex and Zyrtec (which, without health insurance, I'm not taking at the moment. )

Ajijaak

Old 06-19-2004, 07:24 AM   #5

typingterror HB User

I have bouts of allergies constantly where I will sneeze my brains off throughout the year. However, with having such dry eyes, mouth, etc., I am not able to take any antihistamines. I have noticed that sometimes that even certain scents will set me off and I have to stay away from candle shops, etc., or I would go beserk. (TT)

Closed Thread