It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 457
taurus3 HB User
Ima Newby

Good Day to all! I am a new member to the message board and I'm excited to have found it. I can't type much today (most days actually) but I wanted to thank all of you for your candid postings. I should've done this months ago. I'm not new to fibro but I am new to severe fibro and being disabled from it.

I've read many of the postings and look forward to reading and writing when I can. I too have had bad experiences with doctors, especially "specialists", and social security. It's exhausting enough being in pain all the time but the fight to prove yourself constantly is just too much on top of it.

Thanks for all of your courage and I hope you have a pain free day.

TTFN Newby

 
Old 05-25-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 576
Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User
Re: Ima Newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus3
Good Day to all! I am a new member to the message board and I'm excited to have found it. I can't type much today (most days actually) but I wanted to thank all of you for your candid postings. I should've done this months ago. I'm not new to fibro but I am new to severe fibro and being disabled from it.

I've read many of the postings and look forward to reading and writing when I can. I too have had bad experiences with doctors, especially "specialists", and social security. It's exhausting enough being in pain all the time but the fight to prove yourself constantly is just too much on top of it.

Thanks for all of your courage and I hope you have a pain free day.

TTFN Newby

Hi Newby!!

And welcome. I have had fm for more years than I can even remember, so no one knows better than I how AWFUL it can be, how it can affect so many areas of the body, and disable you. It is one of the reasons I am on S.S. disability. Have you been trying to get it yourself? If so, at what point are you in the process?? Don't give up!! I was denied twice, asked for a hearing, fought my case alone (without a lawyer) and won. It is a long, tedious and frustrating process, but if you believe in yourself and your disabilities, NO ONE can tell you you aren't disabled. Many to most Judges now agree that fm is a very disabling affliction, and I was specifically told this by the ALJ. So don't give up!! Good luck to you!!

Char

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 05-26-2004, 06:03 AM   #3
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 457
taurus3 HB User
Re: Ima Newby

Thank you so much for your wolrds of encouragement. Especially about the SSDI thing. That has been the biggest heartache. I was dxd with lupus at 17 and fibro at 24. I am 35 now and have a 20 year work history prior to age 33. I fought very hard to work all of those years. It was so angering to find that all of the taxes I had paid during the 20 years I paid them (started working young) were treated like some handout I was asking for. Prior to all of this I was working full time, singing in a band and married.

I have been turned down once with them stating I was "deconditioned". Yeah they would be deconditioned too if they couldn't move for six months. Since then I've lost weight and gained a little mobility but I'm still not able to work. I do have a lawyer for my appeal hearing. Supposedly that is coming up soon but I am fully prepared to be denied again. Don't want to get my hopes up and be disappointed.

Filling out the functional capacity report with my doctor (who luckily supports my claims) was very depressing. I am a stay-at-home Mom with a two year old so I convince myself a lot that I'm OK and my life is somehow normal. The truth is I have a very smart and patient child who is content to play with his toys and watch cartoons while Momma lays on the couch or the bed. I feed him things that I don't have to prepare mostly. We only leave the house together without my husband about once or twice a week because it's all I can handle. So that report forced me to deal with the reality of what I've lost over the last few years.

Anyway, thanks again and thanks for listening.

A Restful Day to you...

 
Old 05-26-2004, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Fond du Lac, WI
Posts: 250
typingterror HB User
Re: Ima Newby

Welcome and my hat is off to you with raising a child. I cannot even imagine this as I have enough trouble taking care of myself. It is very comforting to find a support group as we all understand the difficulties one encounters to survive each day. (TT)

 
Old 05-26-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 576
Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User
Re: Ima Newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus3
Thank you so much for your wolrds of encouragement. Especially about the SSDI thing. That has been the biggest heartache. I was dxd with lupus at 17 and fibro at 24. I am 35 now and have a 20 year work history prior to age 33. I fought very hard to work all of those years. It was so angering to find that all of the taxes I had paid during the 20 years I paid them (started working young) were treated like some handout I was asking for. Prior to all of this I was working full time, singing in a band and married.

I have been turned down once with them stating I was "deconditioned". Yeah they would be deconditioned too if they couldn't move for six months. Since then I've lost weight and gained a little mobility but I'm still not able to work. I do have a lawyer for my appeal hearing. Supposedly that is coming up soon but I am fully prepared to be denied again. Don't want to get my hopes up and be disappointed.

Filling out the functional capacity report with my doctor (who luckily supports my claims) was very depressing. I am a stay-at-home Mom with a two year old so I convince myself a lot that I'm OK and my life is somehow normal. The truth is I have a very smart and patient child who is content to play with his toys and watch cartoons while Momma lays on the couch or the bed. I feed him things that I don't have to prepare mostly. We only leave the house together without my husband about once or twice a week because it's all I can handle. So that report forced me to deal with the reality of what I've lost over the last few years.

Anyway, thanks again and thanks for listening.

A Restful Day to you...


Hi Taurus!!

I am so sorry for all you are going thru!!! And I can sooooo well empathize with how difficult it is to manage plus take care od a toddler!! I didn't have all my health problems when my kids were little, but I other kinds (surgeries and some major illnesses) and an ex hub who was an uninvolved alcoholic, so much I had to go alone. I remember some awful times just barely able to cope with taking care of them so I know how very difficult this is for you.

I will pray that you get the disability you so deserve!! I sooo know how you feel about your life now vs "then" - when I had it all in writing in front of me, I remember thinking..."my God, I really am disabled." There's something about seeing it that way!! I had written out EVERYTHING for the judge to see before the hearing, and all the reasons I disagreed with their findings. I had a copy of my entire file, and there were soooo many things in it that either weren't true, were misstated and/or twisted to make me seem like a liar - it just made me so angry!! And anger spurred me to action. I truly do believe that you must BELIEVE. Attitude is so important. I hope your lawyer is WELL prepared and all will go perfectly!!!!!! My hopes and prayers are with you!

Hugs
Char

 
Old 05-28-2004, 07:11 AM   #6
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 457
taurus3 HB User
Re: Ima Newby

Thank you Char. I got a little typing happy so I can't write much today but thank you so much. I will be here when I can to read and share.

Blessings to you.

 
Old 05-28-2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 576
Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User
Re: Ima Newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus3
Thank you Char. I got a little typing happy so I can't write much today but thank you so much. I will be here when I can to read and share.

Blessings to you.


Hi Taurus -

I hope you are OK!! Please take care and post when you're up to it. I do understand.

Hugs
Char

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Newby 5backsurgeries Back Problems 3 07-24-2008 03:48 PM
Newby and a couple of questions MarinaO Asthma 12 06-08-2007 09:39 AM
Bunion Newby here... Grafiti4u Foot & Ankle Problems 7 10-28-2006 09:17 AM
Another Newby with Ulnar Nerve Problems maniacal Neuropathy 0 10-18-2003 02:18 PM
newby.. 5'3-120lbs- need help to 105lbs-whats wrong w/ my routine? NrsGOODboddy Exercise & Fitness 11 08-27-2003 07:11 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Ambien
Cymbalta
Effexor
Elavil
Flexeril
  Neurontin
Percocet
Tylenol
Ultram
Vicodin




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



bluelakelady (372), WoodsWalker (132), thefarm (111), Glojer (103), tooolgrl (94), biogirl71 (88), janewhite1 (85), kirstee (60), monalisa24 (55), tmrots (41)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (857), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:40 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!