It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
Inactive

waiting4acure HB User
How long does it take Neurontin to work?

Not sure if I was correct in the spelling of "Neuronton," however I am curious if this is a medication that works immediately or takes some time. I have just begun to take it, but haven't noticed a difference. 2 days... Thanks!

Old 05-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #2

Baroness1961 HB User
Re: How long does it take Neurontin to work?

Hi!
I take Topamax, which is simialar, and it took about a week until I started noticing it's effect. The Doc. gave this to me for Neuropathy. On a normal day if I do not over do it I have relief from the burning and tingling in my legs at night. I have actually gotten several good nights sleep for the first time in years. I hope & pray it works that way for you too. I take Tramadol, Bextra, Topamax, and Flexeril 1 hour before bedtime and it seems to do the trick as long as I don't get stupid and try to vacumm the whole house in one day. Good Luck! Baroness

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2004, 12:01 PM   #3

WICHRIS HB User

Hey waiting I started Neurontin about 3 months ago for overall pain
management with the fibro..I started at 300 mg/day for the first month and
started noticing relief after about 2 weeks, in the last month the dose was
increased to 1.8 g/day and my pain is significally less..however, I have lost
about 20 pounds since starting this medicine. A lot of practioners are now
trying Neurontin with fibro management..however the current literature
supports dosing at 1.8 g/day and above as being optimal for pain
management...hope this helps ya..

Chris

Old 05-27-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
Inactive

waiting4acure HB User
How long does Neurontin take to work and how safe is it?

Thanks you both for your reply, what help and assistance comes from good people life yourselves. It never ceases to amaze me the compassion that each and everyone of you have to fellow fibro friends. It's surely what keeps me going. I so much appreciate both of you taking the time to help me. I will give it some time and see how that works. Tell me something, are you familiar or others with the safety of taking Neurontin? I've read a few articles, but that have started to slow down with the negative and pushing to positive.

As always, thanks! Bren

Last edited by waiting4acure; 05-29-2004 at 08:29 PM.

Old 05-28-2004, 08:31 AM   #5

WICHRIS HB User

Bren glad to help..Neurontin has been used quite awhile now for pain
management however every medicine has side effects and no two people
will react,etc in the same way to a med..However,some of the more
common side effects with Neurontin include drowsiness,dizziness,dry mouth,
increase appetite-myself I have experienced dry mouth ( feels like I can
drink a gallon of water most days ) and instead of increased appetite-I
have lost weight...in addition as my dose was increased it did take me
awhile to feel fully alert,etc..Some of the more serious side effects to watch
out for include :changes in vision,memory loss,edema-check with your doc
ASAP if you notice any of these...This is not a complete list just some of
the potential side effects I remember...hope this helps !

Chris

Old 05-29-2004, 01:29 PM   #6

FibroGrl HB User

Hmmm I am curious about the topamax people if I may but in... I just searched for topamax and had to dive in I am so desperate. I have been on the topamax for a month now, stepped up to 100mg, and I am completely miserable. I can't sleep more than 7 hours because I have to wake up to lose my bowels. The pain in my calves is so bad I can barely walk. I certainly can't have anyone touch them. I am taking the topamax and 2 .5 tablets of the clonazepam at night. I am supposed to take another .5 of the clonazepam twice a day but I am turning in to a zombie at work but if I don't take them I just sit at my desk and shake. I can't get any work done, I can't sleep, and I am in so much pain. No return call from my doctor so far. Any ideas how to combat the side effects of the topamax? At least get rid of the muscle cramping? My PT tried to work on my calves and she said it was not typical fibro presentation pain, seemed medication induced and I could hardly stand to have her touch me. I am open to suggestions, prayers, anything!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
(female)

hurtingal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FibroGrl View Post
Hmmm I am curious about the topamax people if I may but in... I just searched for topamax and had to dive in I am so desperate. I have been on the topamax for a month now, stepped up to 100mg, and I am completely miserable. I can't sleep more than 7 hours because I have to wake up to lose my bowels. The pain in my calves is so bad I can barely walk. I certainly can't have anyone touch them. I am taking the topamax and 2 .5 tablets of the clonazepam at night. I am supposed to take another .5 of the clonazepam twice a day but I am turning in to a zombie at work but if I don't take them I just sit at my desk and shake. I can't get any work done, I can't sleep, and I am in so much pain. No return call from my doctor so far. Any ideas how to combat the side effects of the topamax? At least get rid of the muscle cramping? My PT tried to work on my calves and she said it was not typical fibro presentation pain, seemed medication induced and I could hardly stand to have her touch me. I am open to suggestions, prayers, anything!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
(female)

hurtingal HB User

I don't know it this will help or you even tried it, but ask the doctor is you should take potassium (prescription strength) for you leg cramps. It helped my dad.I am sorry you are in that much pain I can honestly admit I know how terrible it feels. God Bless you

Closed Thread