It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2004, 07:24 AM   #1

Sandy5764 HB User
Fibro and work

I have just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have had arthritis for approximately 15 years (am 40 years old). My trouble is my boss. She is the type of person who never ever gets sick. I work in a very small office (only 6 people, all women). In this office of 6, I am the second person who has fibromyalgia. There is a 27 year old women who was diagnosed approximately 6 years ago. My boss is treating me as if I'm copying off the other person in the office with fibro. It's like she isn't taking my pain serious. The other person in the office is out of work from time to time because her pain is so bad. To date I have not had to miss any work because of pain (but boy, do I have pain!!!!!). Any suggestions about what I can do about my boss taking my pain/symptoms seriously? Thanks!!!

Old 05-27-2004, 11:25 AM   #2

WICHRIS HB User
Re: Fibro and work

Hey Sandy sorry about your recent dx of fibro as one with this illness it
certainly has its ups and downs. As a mid-level mgr myself I would suggest
you " call her " on her recent behavior and basically state your track record
at work speaks for itself and your committment to the company and
operations remains strong....however,your expectation is that she remains
supportive of you professionally so that you can continue to make positive
contributions daily to the companies operations. My personal feeling is that
if she is not confronted in some way concerning her recent unprofessional
behavior she will continue to think this is accepatable practice..I am in no
way an HR expert but I hope this helps you...

Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2004, 04:17 PM   #3
(female)

mollymadison HB User

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with work. I hope it gets better for you. My boss is also insensitive. She told me that i need to be at work if I don't have a Dr's note. Not having a Dr's note is complete, horrible other story. I told my boss that if I could not even walk to my bathroom in my own house that I as sure as h$%^ was not going to be at work. At this time, I am taking my own vacation time. I work for a very big company that is worldwide and I am in management. I have devoted my life to this company and I would think I should be treated better than this. I also think my boss would understand since she lost a leg to cancer. I guess she has already forgotten what it feels like to hurt.

Old 05-28-2004, 08:17 AM   #4
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Oh boy, sounds familiar. Try to remember that you have a ligitimate medical condition and that they are legally bound to treat you with respect and dignity. I have been fighting this prejudice in the workplace not just with fibro but lupus since I was 18. I had to stop working two years ago but up to that point I was always fighting the system.

Part of the reason I had to relinquish my job was because of the "it's not our problem" attitude about workers with disabilities. Unless you're in a wheelchair or missing an arm they think it doesn't count and they don't have to treat you properly.

Towards the end I had to develop the attitude that I would do the best job I could, be there as often as I could, medically document my absences and if that wasn't good enough, they could fire me and then I would sue them. Sometimes just reminding them of the Disabilities Act can make them shape up.

Good luck and don't let anyone make you feel bad for feeling bad. Remind your boss that she is lucky to be so healthy.

Andy

Old 05-28-2004, 09:13 AM   #5

Sandy5764 HB User

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. Hopefully this will work itself out. I'm still okay physically to work, although there are some days that are challenging.

Closed Thread