It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2004, 10:30 AM   #1

so_confuzzled HB User
What are all these medications your talking about?

Ive never heard of bextra, or topamax, neuontin and ultracet. I have heard of tremadol but I don't know much about it either. Can someone tell me a little bit about these medications? I did read one of the posts that one of these medications caused severe diareha. But maybe thats what I need. I also have IBS but i have IBS constipation. I can't take anything with an Nsaid because it tears up my stomach. If you have IBs because of your fibro try miralax only if you have ibs constipation. It works wonders!!! It is the only thing that seems to be helping me. just my two cents I also do know that hot hot baths seem to help ease my fibro paints, those therma pads that stick on your clothes help also, it tends to lessen the spasms. Thankyou all in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2004, 12:37 PM   #2

WICHRIS HB User
Re: What are all these medications your talking about?

I hope this helps somewhat...Bextra is a NSAID one of the ones marketed
as causing less stomach irritation as it is more selective in its prostaglandin
inhibition...it has been used over in Europe for quite awhile and now is
gaining in popularity in the U.S. Neurontin and Topamax are used in seizure
control but have both been shown to be effective in managing nerve pain,etc
Ultracet is a combination of tramadol and acetaminophen that is used as
a pain medicine..hope this helps...On a personal note I feel the medicine
that has helped my fibro the most is Neurontin at 1.8 g/day...

Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #3

so_confuzzled HB User

Hey thanx for the advice, you seem to know a lot about this!!! My next appointment at the doctor i will bring this up, maybe if show him that I have been looking up differen't medications he will realize I mean business!!! I really appreciate this. Ive never heard of half of these medications, and it is frustrating, but maybe one day soon ill find a doctor willing to even believe that fibro actually exists* sigh* thanx again that helps a lot!!!-karen

Old 06-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
Inactive

Ajijaak HB User

I have used, variously, Neurontin, Ultracet, and Bextra, as well as a gazilliion other meds (most of which were useless). Never used Topamax.

Chris is correct: Ultracet is indeed Tramadol (brand name Ultram)diluted by acetaminophen. The dilution renders it basically non-narcotic,so you can take higher doses without worry about addiction. Ultracet is the *only* pain med that works *at all* for me so far (I had ulcers, so I can't take NSAIDS); Ultracet has *no* negative side effects for me, but its efficacy is relative to the severity of my pain.

Bextra is indeed an NSAID that is supposed to be easier on the stomach, but I can't even take 10mg/day without problems. Once in a great, great while (like once every few weeks), when the arthritis-y inflammation sensation gets beyond endurance, I'll take one, but I generallly have to cope without anti-inflammatories.

Neurontin was originally an anti-seizure medication prescribed for epileptics and those with other seizure disorders. Research then showed that it was effective for some sufferers of bipolar disorder (manic depression), so doctors began prescribing it on an "off-label use" basis for them. That evidence of effectiveness on brain chemistry apparently led to research on other brain neurotransmitters, and it was found to be effective on pain - particularly nerve pain - for some people. The first week or so that I took it (now about four years ago), it worked great, and thereafter quit working altogether. With very few exceptions, this has been my experience with most of the meds prescribed for FMS. I now take Paxil CR/ 25mg (which I take for depression anyway), Ultracet when I can afford it (no health insurance right now), and Adderall/10mg for fatigue and fibro fog. I also take guaifenesin (no results yet after a few months), probiotics for IBS, and just began chlorella for mercury chelation.

Ajijaak

The Following User Says Thank You to Ajijaak For This Useful Post:
robinsjs18 (12-21-2010)
Closed Thread