It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2004, 02:24 PM   #1

typingterror HB User
Rheumatology appointment

I had a real good visit. She reviewed my entire medical records and wrote a new history and physical for her benefit. She also reviewed all my x-rays and stated that she figured excessive pain in wrists and ankles was fibro and not arithritis even though my neck looked bad on x-rays. Her goal is to get me sleeping well to eliminate some of the pain and since I have such violent reactions to drugs to only try one at a time. She stated that my prior side effects of Elavil was normal as this is because I had been put into a deep sleep and gradually this would have gone away. I would rather go sleepless than have palpitations and panic attacks. Anyway, I am to try Flexeril at night. She said I had double problems with frozen shoulder and at first wanted to refer me to ortho and I told her please don't go there as I have already been to two and got chewed out by last one because he was only interested in doing surgery, but still charged me. She said I had tried all conventional methods with physical therapy and massage therapy. However, I needed to be careful about massage therapist as there are many types and they need to be specialized in treating fibro. I stated this is what woman had advertised as specializing in but really had no clue as she had had two frozen shoulders herself and in end treatments were doing me more harm than good because I wanted to choke the woman for not providing me with itemized bill with codes for reimbursement for my insurance company and I was seeking legal advice on this. She prescribed me Aquatic therapy for arthritis/fibro 2-3 times a week. I called and heater in pool is down so I just have to keep calling back until they get it fixed. Of course, I will have to go out and buy a swimming suit, which will be a horrible experience in itself. At least I had a good experience with doctor today and will see her again in about a month's time. I am not expecting any miracles, but just want to be stable instead of these severe high and lows. (TT)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2004, 02:47 PM   #2

typingterror HB User
Re: Rheumatology appointment

Forget but my last blood work revealed that I am still borderline mild renal insufficiency so physiatrist should have never told me it was okay to take Motrin. Why does that not surprise me! (TT)

Old 05-28-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

When you have a strange disease going to the doctor is not just a job, it's an adventure. I'm glad your appointment went well. I know what a relief that always is. I wish we had more than one rheumy here to try. I have a great PCP but I still get nervous anytime I need to address a new issue or symptom with her. It's like the Salem witch trials or something when you have fibro. If you drown you're not a witch, but you're dead. If you're in pain and can't move your arms and legs, you're not a liar, but you're miserable.

Good luck swimsuit shopping. I hate that as well. I don't even think supermodels go "yay let's go try on swimsuits." I don't buy a new one every year but this year I had to since I'm pregnant and will soon be looking for any pool of water to cool off in. I live in a small town so there are hardly any maternity suits here so I had to go buy the biggest size I could find and stick a pillow in it to see if I could grow into it. Really made me feel sexy let me tell ya.

Pain free days to you...Andy

Old 05-28-2004, 08:00 AM   #4

WICHRIS HB User

Hi TT I am really glad your appt. went so well. It sounds as if this new doc is very thorough and willing to actually listen to you..I especially liked her
philosophy of trying one med at a time and going from there.I am glad the
Flexeril is working for you-I take this med myself and it has worked wonders.
I hope they get the heater fixed soon for ya..please let me know how the aquatic therapy works for you..I have thought of trying this on my own as
it is less stressful on the joints/muscles but has shown excellent results
for a lot of people....

Take Care...Chris

Old 05-28-2004, 09:25 AM   #5

typingterror HB User

I just ordered a cheapie on sale boy leg swim suit off internet with 2 day shipping. I just could not see myself running from store to store trying on things I did not even want to buy and then fainting from price. Now I have to hope I am not allergic to fabric. Jeez, I wonder what it would be like to have a simple uncomplicated life. I just cannot remember back that far. (TT)

Old 05-30-2004, 11:58 AM   #6
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

I'm glad you found a suit! Boy legs rock! Normal? Normal? I think I remember it a little bit. Good luck with the hydrotherapy. I know it helps me quite a bit.

Good luck - Andy (taurus)

Old 05-30-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User

HI...with renal problems and joint problems, you might want to have some testing done for Lupus. With lupus, the joints look normal upon xray.

Closed Thread