It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 08:38 AM   #1

MrsChickapea HB User
Food Allergies, Anyone??

I agree regarding wanting to eat sugar when we feel the worst. Another allergic reaction that I never had before FMS is when I eat shellfish. Am highly allergic to Iodine, and have been told and have read that shellfish is put thru an Iodine bath before going to market. About 14 yrs. ago docs did a brain scan using an Iodine dye and it was almost lights out for me. They told me that I went into anaphylactic shock from the dye; that I should always tell every doc and tech that I'm very allergic to the stuff.

My daughter has had the same allergic reaction to shellfish for a very long time. Her tongue swells and she can't breathe without a shot. She has FMS as well.

Do all of you have food allergies, also??

Old 05-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #2

MrsChickapea HB User
Re: Food Allergies, Anyone?? (P.S.)

Shrimp just happens to be my absolute fav., so of course I'm not suppose to have it!

When first dealing with the FMS, it was like having the flu and never getting better. Now when I eat a food that I am allergic to, it's like going thru that flu all over again; migraines, sick to stomach, IBS kicks in, very achey and can't get out of the bed. Just sick, sick sick!!!

Sound familiar??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #3

mongfairygirl HB User
Re: Food Allergies, Anyone??

no specific food allergies, caffiene and salads (my fave food) do bring on IBS though.oh salt can trigger my childhood asthma. also could i please ask u to read my other post as i really want to help find more specific causes for fibro, as at the moment anyone in chronic pain can be labelled with the condition n i feel that there must be some common links.

Old 05-30-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi!
I definitely know what you're going through with food allergies. It really stinks, and is interrupting my life majorly, especially since I'm only 19 and can't do anything right now! In January of last year, I developed SEVERE vertigo to the point where I could not differentiate between the ceiling and the floor. It lasted MONTHS and the doctors had NO IDEA what was going on, but kept giving me loads of antibiotics thinking it was an infection. I got better after months and months, and by the one year point, it was pretty much gone. I still get dizzy in the dark and have vestibular damage, though. Anyway, ever since, I've been sick in other ways. It slowly progressed, actually. THIS past January of 2004, I got the flu and I developed pleurisy. That was painful and horrible, and I was once again on heavy antibiotics and I quit smoking at this point b/c obviously, I couldn't breathe too well. That was the only plus of the whole thing. Ever since then, I have gotten worse and worse. I WAS having SEVERE low blood sugar episodes SEVERAL, SEVERAL times a day, and thought that I had reactive hypoglycemia and even saw an endocrinologist who was convinced otherwise. After being told to investigate food allergies by some wonderful, helpful people on Healthboards.com, I cut out wheat, dairy, eggs, peanuts, citrus, seafood, soy, and artificial flavorings & colorings. As soon as I did this, my low blood sugar episodes improved IMMENSELY. I still have them, but not as often. Now though, I just have allergy symptoms left. I've always been a severely allergic person, but now I'm allergic to EVERYTHING. My asthma is TERRIBLE (100 times worse than when I SMOKED which makes no sense), I have FREQUENT anaphylactic-like episodes where I get itchy, swollen, and faint, it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to go to the bathroom without laxatives, I'm constantly bloated, often really nauseous, really tired, and feel really, really sick. My joints and muscles also hurt after eating certain foods. Are you only allergic to those things or are you allergic to lots of other foods, also? Sorry for all the complaining, by the way
Wishing you the best of health,
~Katalina

Old 06-01-2004, 02:51 AM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi Katalina. I am sorry you are one so young having to deal with illness. I started with lupus when I was 17 so I understand what you're doing through. It's hard to feel young when your body hurts like an old person. Often I would force myself to go places by saying "I can lay in this bed and be sick, or I can lay on the beach and be sick." I had good friends who were happy to take me places, help me to a place to lie down, and keep me company there.

About you vestibular damage. Did they diagnose you with labrynthitis. That is what causes the dizziness. The first time I had it I actually drove myself to the ER before it had gotten that bad. By the time I got to the hospital I wish walking sideways like a V8 commercial holding onto a railing looking like a drunk. I was sure I had a brain tumor or something.

They gave me meclizzine which is basically dramamine only cheaper to get from the pharmacist. They do have a non-drowsy Dramamine that I take during the day if I'm having the dizzies so I don't have to sleep all day.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. Try to remember to be young and have fun when you can.

Old 06-01-2004, 03:41 AM   #6

typingterror HB User

Katalina, how awful. I cannot even imagine going through what you have had to endure. I went bananas when I felt like this in morning as a side effect from taking Vicodin and stopped it immediately as it did not stop pain and I certainly did not need another problem added to my already overloaded circuit. Taurus, I also have driven on days when I should never have been behind the wheel but I try not to any more. Can you just imagine getting pulled over by police and then getting thrown in slammer with positive drug screening test? I have no doubt in my mind that I would be bawling my eyes out and probably be sent to mental health for an evaluation as the police would be scared of me. Talk about a soap opera. (TT)

Old 06-01-2004, 06:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

MrsChickapea,
I'm not sure if it was this thread or not, but I know you were asking about what hypoglycemia felt like for me. For me, I was extremely shaky, extremely anxious, sometimes I had the cold sweats, I was nauseous, my vision was really blurry, I was very dizzy, and really, really weak. Sometimes, I felt slightly drunk. When it got really low and then I loaded sugar into my body to keep from passing out, I'd then get a headache, really bad stomach distress, and then feel truly drunk as the sugar was getting into my bloodstream. Hope that helps!
~Katalina

Old 06-01-2004, 06:46 PM   #8

MrsChickapea HB User

Hi Taurus3, it's me again. I can't believe that you've mentioned Dramamine!!! LOL Had an appt. w/neurologist this a.m. and I told him about the awful naseaus feeling that I've been having with migraines again. The stomach feels much worse than the actual headache. He suggested Dramamine b/c I asked for something over the counter. I'm taking 9 meds a day as it is. He said that there would not be any interaction with the Dram. and the meds.

Will let you know if this helps.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:51 PM   #9

MrsChickapea HB User

Dear Katalina,
You've just described one of the spells that I've had for the last 36 yrs.. Neurologist tells me that I'm describing a visual migraine. You can have the spell before the migraine, or never get a headache at all.

Have you ever heard of a visual migraine, anyone??

Old 06-01-2004, 07:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

That's really interesting because I actually went to a neurologist and was supposed to have a few tests done, and lost my health insurance before that could happen. Hmnn.

Old 06-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

MrsChickapea,
Dramamine is pretty helpful. I took it for the nauseousness I had with the dizzies for that year. I hope you feel better soon!
~Katalina

Old 06-07-2004, 11:06 AM   #12

MrsChickapea HB User

Thanks Everyone for your responses on the food allergies.
Isn't it helpful to at least know that we aren't the only one that has these symptoms/illnesses? I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy; even if I had one!!!!! LOL

Best Wishes to All for a good week!!

Closed Thread