It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 07:07 PM   #1
(female)

On a Mission HB User
Lightbulb New to HealthBoards

Good Evening Everyone

I am new here. I have been very encouraged by your postings about Fibro CFS. I was finally diagnosed in 1998 although I have been experiencing symptoms since 1985. I have a wonderful PCP. She has been very supportive. Presently I am taking Zoloft, Flexeril, Prevacid, Ambien, Ultracet, and Premarin. I have tried many other combinations but this one works fairly well. My main concern is the Ambien. Any suggestions?? I have read postings about the Benadryl and or Tylenol PM but they only make me anxious and restless...and we all know we don't need that Well I hope my message isn't too long.
I guess I am just excited to be in the company of others who understand my condition.

Sweet Dreams to all painfree sleep,
OAM

Old 05-31-2004, 06:25 AM   #2

typingterror HB User
Re: New to HealthBoards

Welcome to the board. We are all jealous because you have a good PCP. Does he/she make housecalls? I was on trial of Ambien only a long time ago for sleep, but it did not do anything for me. It might have help though had I been on a combination of drugs. Flexeril at night time has helped me with sleep tremendously although I had to increase dose, but it has lowered pain significantly. However, I am now noticing pain creeping up during day so I am sure I will need an adjustment in meds or something else added on next visit. Hopefully I will get on a regimen that will work permanently so I can be done with all these trials. (TT)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2004, 08:06 AM   #3

WICHRIS HB User

Hey TT I am glad the flexeril is still helping you..my PCP also told me to up
the dose at night if I wanted to..so some nights when the pain is really
bad I take 20 mg of the Flexeril and sleep really well and I have also noticed
when I get up in the morning my muscle/joint pain is significantly less at least
until a few hours later..My PCP wanted to add a sleeping pill to my mix but
I declined as in the last year since this dx I went from taking just one med-
Synthroid to now bextra,flexeril,neurontin,alprazolam and vicodin....have
you thought about trying a pain med for prn use during the day when
your pain flares up ?

Take Care...Chris

Old 06-01-2004, 04:24 AM   #4

typingterror HB User

Chris, I have started keeping a daily journal of Flexeril dosage and different pains that are erupting until I see her in July. If they get out of control again I will call her sooner for help. I believe that arthritis/severe osteoporosis is playing a part in this picture also, but previous trials of arthritic drugs did not help. I really do not want to be on too many drugs either as I do not want to be walking around like a zombie. I had previously questioned physiatrist with statement wondering if I was having compression fractures in lower back. Her smart come back was " I do not believe this as you would be in severe pain (which I was). We could do an MRI but what is the purpose as there is nothing we could do about this?" I made this comment to rheumatologist and she stated simply that she did not agree with this. I know I have not been able to sleep in bed for many years and then slept on couch and now have to sleep in recliner due to damage I will do just by rolling over and difficulty in getting out of bed whereby I am almost unable to walk. Like all of us, I am blessed with having more than one problem so it is going to take fine tuning to try and get everything under some sort of control. (TT)

Old 06-01-2004, 08:31 AM   #5
(female)

On a Mission HB User

Hey TT and Chris,

I have talked to many about the lasting effects of Ambien. What is your take on it? I mean, I have to sleep, and of course I won't unless I take something. i have been thinking about taking 20 mg of Flexeril to see how that helps, as it stands it doesnt make me sleepy at all if i only take 10mg. I just keep hearing that Ambien is habit forming and all, but heck if I have to take it anyway...any thoughts?

Oh and thanks for welcoming me I feel much better with my dark secret of FMS/CFS I can finally talk about it.

OAM

Old 06-01-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
(female)

mollymadison HB User

On a Mission-
I have taken ambien for several years. I have noticed that I do not remember things as well, especially after I take it. After i take the med, I don't remember much of anything. I'm not for sure if it's habit forming, however, I HAVE to take somthing for sleep no matter what. I am also taking flexiril at night. With all that, I am still having a problem sleeping.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #7
(female)

On a Mission HB User

Molly,

Oh my goodness! My memory is terrible! I manage to sleep well with the Ambien but I always seem to need a "catch up" conversation from my bf the next day...b/c I usually can't remember the last hour or so prior to falling to sleep. But it is certainly good to hear that someone else takes Ambien for longer than I have with positive feedback. I kinda feel the same way about the whole habit forming thing, we need it to sleep so oh well!

Thanks a bunch, and I hope you get some good sleep soon.

OAM

Old 06-01-2004, 03:35 PM   #8
(female)

mollymadison HB User

On a Mission-
I also wanted to post that my husband says I am very combative in that last hour before sleep. he says i always try to start a fight. So I have tried to be more aware of that.

Old 06-01-2004, 03:47 PM   #9
(female)

countrygal HB User

I have been taking ambien for almost 4 years. I am at 15mg, and i dont have that sluggish feeling. I usually do get a better sleep (rest) with it. I wouldnt give it up for nothing. To me it is the best sleep med i have ever tried.

Old 06-01-2004, 05:17 PM   #10
(female)

On a Mission HB User

I tend to get munchies pretty bad shortly after I have taken my Ambien. It also acts as a sort of "truth serum" for me I once told my EX husband what I really thought about him...LOL After taking my evening meds...

OAM

Closed Thread