It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2004, 06:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Pain Site ?????

Posting to see if anyone can relate to this type of pain. I am getting pain fron my shoulder down to my breast, sometimes into the breast also goes in under my arm. The area between my collar bone and shoulder is always so sore and I have sore spots in the collar bone area all the time. I get a lot of pain in the ribs below my breast and into the breast, sometimes radiates up the side of my breasts.

I am up to date on mammo, had a echo done. This is my worse Fm site.I also get these strange sensations in the breast area like a light pressure, just annoying, feels like my bra tightened in one area even without a bra on, lasts the entire day some times. Devin Starlyn does show this pain site in one of her diagrams in her book.

I have MPS,FM, MITRAL REGURATATION, and was diagnosed with COSTRO also.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Old 06-06-2004, 07:22 AM   #2
(female)

Dee74 HB User
Re: Pain Site ?????

I don't have that exact pain that you have, but I do have alot of pain in the upper rib area. It only hurts when you press on it though, so it's nothing constant at all. I have alot of pain in the shoulder area as well.. again only when pressed. At times, I've had pain that feels like it's just under my breast. It's like a stabbing pain that feels like it's going through the nipple itself to my rib (sorry if that's TMI). But it usually only lasts a few hours at most thank god. It feels like someone's trying to rip off my breast or something!

90% of my pain is in my arms, hips, and legs.. the hip pain actually only started yesterday, and I'm REALLY hoping it's a fluke thing. I don't need any new pain for crying out loud!

I hope someone else has some answers for you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 11:47 AM   #3

DevWilson HB User

I too get the pain in my collar bone, i have every other symptom of fibromyalgia too, and my mother also has it. I don't have insurance so i have never gone to the doctor to be diagnosed, but i hear it is a hard thing to diagnose. I get pain pretty much in every joint and bone, but the worse is in my neck and shoulder area, sometimes it feels like the top of my spine swells. Out of all of it i thought the collar bone was the strangest, because it doesn't seem to be a joint or anything its right on the tip, and if you push on it you can just feel it radiating through. I don't have the pain in the breast area, but who knows that could be next, since it seems to move all the time. I am only 25, i've been dealing with this for about 2 years now, ever since the birth of my daughter. they say one of the best things for fibromyalsia is a positive attitude, but its hard not to be depressed when you are in pain all the time.

Old 06-09-2004, 06:28 AM   #4
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi PA 235, I do have that pain as well with the collar bone, shoulder, breast. Main reason why I don't wear a bra much since I don't leave the house much. I have large breasts and I worry they are going to drop but if I wear a bra it either messes up my shoulder, constricts my breathing or makes my sore breast burn. I used to sew so I've been sketching some strapless designs to try and create myself with some lycra. There's got to be a way to create a strapless and comfortable bra for a D cup. I really think the "collar bone" pain is more related to the ligaments, muscles and tendons wrapped around it than the actual bone itself.

Now Dev, I am 10 years older than you but I also have a two year old. I've had fibro since about 22 but it didn't disable me until I had my son. There were other contributing factors after delivery such as two non fibro related surgeries. But labor and delivery and then newborn care really tore me up. Believe it or not I'm six months pregnant now. But I have tons of help from my husband and friends plus I know this time what I need to help myself.

After my son was born I went for six months without muscle relaxers or pain meds (accept for the few I got post surgery) because my fibro had never been bad enough to need it regularly. This time I know that I need to be taking them as soon as I deliver to prevent myself from getting worse and getting carpal tunnel from handling the baby. Plus I also know other things like it's OK to breastfeed lying down. My lactation coach and the nurses and the magazines all said you need to sit up to bond with the baby. When my son was two months old I had surgery on my butt so I had no choice but to lie down. I continued to feed him lying down for another seven months because it allowed me to rest, us to cuddle and we bonded just fine. And I wasn't holding his weight with my shoudlers hunched up 12 times a day. They have nursing pillows and such but no matter how many pillows you have, if you're sitting up, you are going to be bearing some of the weight with your arms and shoulders.

Anyway I just thought you would like to know that you're not alone Dev dealing with motherhood and illness together. I know I have felt very alone in the process.

Now back to my laboratory to create that helium generated, strapless, non-binding, anti-gravity, super bra...

Old 06-09-2004, 06:42 AM   #5

typingterror HB User

I rarely have pain in breast area itself unless I touch areas, but probably would not even realize it as it is so strong in shoulder/neck and upper back area. The area under arm is a killer when it acts up as you feel like you have a tumor under your arm with a board pushing upwards and when this attacks me I get severe bouts of nausea. Has anyone tried them sticky rubber bras which look like pasties? In my wildest dream I cannot even imagine putting this on. It makes me think of a plumber's friend (toilet plunger). (TT)

Old 06-09-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Thanks so muh for answering my post, It is good for the anxiety level to know others have the the same pain area, not that I would wish any of this on anyone.

Dee, I have been getting those zapping pains in my breasts for years, they almost knock you to the ground. Them it went to having the rib pain and straight through the breast into the shoulder, you are afraid to breathe because it hurts more.I have also been having hip pain, something new, but my chiro says it is low back, he is treating that area and is 90% better, actually doing trigger point releases in my butt.lol.

Dev, I am sorry, you are so young to have this dd, but seems now they are doing more research and finding nore out about fm, maybe you will not have to deal with it as long as others have.

Taurus guess you and I are in the breast pain club. I saw that new paste on bra in the store, my first impulse was to squeeze it, lol. I can not see them being any good to be wearing, you breast would have to become irritated with them on, no air can get in. While you are making the bras make mine just a little bit larger than a growing bra size, see the size of the breasts really have nothing to do with pain.

Typingerror,I get that swolllen feeling in under my arms also

My chiro just told me that he received some info on fm and they are saying Fm is a nerve disorder not a muscle as they thought,.

Thanks again for being there.

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 06-09-2004, 12:16 PM   #7

typingterror HB User

I think best description of fibro is neuromuscular. There are neurochiropractors who treat this, however they are very hard to find--worse than looking for a rheumatologist. The type of pain you describe in breast I have shooting through my head periodically and it feels like lightening and is really scary. I guess that means that I am a boob! (TT)

Old 06-09-2004, 09:10 PM   #8
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

TT you did it again...I am laughing... thank you - Andy

Old 06-17-2004, 08:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

TT: There is a bra on the "america's largest home shopping channel" ( begins with a Q ) and it's made of hosiery material. It's literally like pantyhose for your boobs! Only much more comfortable. You either slip it over your head or step into it and pull it up. Yes, you can STEP into it! Go to their website and do a bra search and you'll find it. It's created by a lady who makes shapewear. It's the only bra I can wear, other than loose fitting sports bras. With the Fibro my ribs are very sore all the time. My doc said this was a very common symptom of Fibro. But it's so uncomfortable to wear a bra. When I saw this on TV, I jumped up an ordered it. It looks funny, and there isn't much support but it feels great.

Check it out.
tk

Old 06-18-2004, 12:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevWilson
I too get the pain in my collar bone, i have every other symptom of fibromyalgia too, and my mother also has it. I don't have insurance so i have never gone to the doctor to be diagnosed, but i hear it is a hard thing to diagnose. I get pain pretty much in every joint and bone, but the worse is in my neck and shoulder area, sometimes it feels like the top of my spine swells. Out of all of it i thought the collar bone was the strangest, because it doesn't seem to be a joint or anything its right on the tip, and if you push on it you can just feel it radiating through. I don't have the pain in the breast area, but who knows that could be next, since it seems to move all the time. I am only 25, i've been dealing with this for about 2 years now, ever since the birth of my daughter. they say one of the best things for fibromyalsia is a positive attitude, but its hard not to be depressed when you are in pain all the time.

Hi!

I think that for most of us fm sufferers, there seems to be more upper torso pain than anywhere else. I too suffer from neck and shoulder pain, sometimes right near the tip of the top of the shoulder. This is because the trapezius is affected, a very large, almost triangular muscle that attaches at the clavicle, out toward the tip, goes up the back of the neck, and in another triangualr shape down to the middle of the back. I have a LOT of pain in these areas and sometimes that muscle is in spasm, and it really hurts. I can't stand to be touched anywhere in the trapezius. Where muscles attach to bone, there can be very tender spots, such as where the trapezius attaches to the clavicle. I also am very tender at the tip of the shoulder, which is where the trapezius ends. I often get pectoral pain, too, and I think it's because the clavicle attaches to the upper pecs. Don't quote me on that one, tho.

Tkgoodspirit, I have pain in my ribs and on my sides as those muscles will bother me, too, from time to time. I don't know about any of you, but it hurts me to take in a big deep breath. My rib cage feels so tight and just won't expand properly. There's much connective tissue that gets affected, too. Sigh.....!!

Usually the best type of Dr. to go to is a rheumatologist. Based on symptoms and the trigger point tests, they can usually make a diagnosis. That's how I was diagnosed, after years of people thinking I was a hypochondriac, and I thought I was going crazy.

typingterror, the pain you say shoot around your head can be because the trapezius muscle is affected - it can cause a lot of referred pain to especially the sides of the head.

pa235, oh my...now fm is a nerve disorder??? Well, the only thing I can say about that is...without nerve supply, muscles would atrophe...or a problem with the nerve supply to the muscle....well, yeah, I can see where that would cause muscle problems, like pain and stiffness.

Oh, and I sometimes have that pain under my arms, too - feels like I'm carrying a baseball in each pit. Well, despite the pain, I think laughing at some of this stuff....pantyhose for the boobs????????? LOL!!!! is good medicine and excellent therapy!!

Hugs
Char

Old 06-18-2004, 04:38 AM   #11

typingterror HB User

I had to laugh about referral to bra on the Q. I am a big fan of them. Their bras are for people who are endowed which I am not. I guess I need a nylon undershirt. (TT)

Old 06-18-2004, 08:27 AM   #12
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hmmm, all this time I was going about the bra thing all wrong. All I needed to do was buy some queen size panty hose and Strap Em Down!!! I know breast size has nothing to do with the pain but it does have something to do with my ability to find a comfortable bra with support so I'll try anything at this point.

My Mom has fibro too and about ten years ago her breasts (already large) just started growing for some wierd hormonal reason. She was forced to have a boob job that didn't turn out very well. I would like to avoid all of that. Luckily when the apples were falling from the tree they shrunk a little so I have more room to grow.

Sometimes when my shoulders and back and torso are killing me I will sit and hold my chest up to relieve the pressure and drag on them. Of course my husband is always willing to volunteer for that job but it's not very practical in public. Hee hee. - Andy

Old 06-18-2004, 01:03 PM   #13
(female)

RitaB HB User

I've had fm for several years now (after multi dr's visits). Mine eased up a bit, but my worse pain is my legs, hips, arms, wrists and hands except for when I get one of those headaches. I'm not much of a headache but when I get what I call my fibro headache,it usually lasts for weeks. My strangest sx though is that my ribs don't hurt, but if you press on them anywhere, it takes about 2 or 3 seconds and then it is very painful, even if you have stop applying pressure and it doesn't take much.

Since, I am posting, let me share what has helped me tremendously. I know everyone is different and certainly FM is affects each one of us different, but again, this is what has help me:

1. I also have restless legs which is far worse I believe than having FM. I take Mirapex (an anti Parkinson drug also used for RLS) and now I get sleep. Getting this sleep has helped relieved at least the fatigue that goes with FM and probably a lot of the pain.
2. And, for me, the more strenous exercise I do, the more relief. For instance, digging in the flower bed, pushing the lawn mower (you'll be surprised how that vibration helps your hands and wrists), carrying bags of mulch, and then using a body-flex aparatus (as advertised on TV) really, really gave quick results. The only problem there was that I popped another hernia and now have to have surgery (my third hernia repair surgery in 4 1/2 yrs).

Just thought I would share. Hope all is having a "lesser pain" day if not pain free.

Rita B

Closed Thread