It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2004, 10:39 AM   #1

nicoledee24 HB User
Unhappy how can I get feeling better?

I have recently been diagnosed with Fibro. My doc prescribed Prozac and Trazadone for me and I feel better mentally but not really different at all physically. Soes anyone have any suggestions on how I can help my pain. It's really putting a damper on my sex life too!! I just want to feel good again!!

Old 06-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #2

typingterror HB User
Re: how can I get feeling better?

You did not state exactly what symptoms that are most bothersome to you. I have recently started taking Flexeril and it did wonders for cramping/pain and this is only medication I am taking at bedtime. (TT)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi there. How long have you been taking Prozac? It can take a month or two for your brain chemistry and seratonin levels to be corrected. As far as feeling better with the pain, more detail would be helpful. We all have so many symptoms it's hard to give a pat answer.

Let us know how we can help...Andy

Old 06-10-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
(female)

spotty HB User

What has helped me is stretching exercises and lifting small amouts of weights. It helps to keep my muscles from hurting and keeps the bruised feeling away longer. I dont take any meds because my dr. and a physical therapist said there was basically nothing you can do for fibro except to exercise. I will admit it does help but it sucks that there isnt more out there for our symptoms. My symptoms change from week to week anyway so I never know what to expect. Maybe someday I will figure it out.

Last edited by spotty; 06-10-2004 at 10:09 AM.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:19 PM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Just so you know the exercise thing worked for me for a long time, then it stopped. Sometimes with fibro it gets so bad that you need medication. So if you're in so much pain you can't function, don't feel like you're a failure if you need pain meds or muscle relaxers or antidepressants or sleeping pills.

Even though I have constant pain I still do the stretching and other exercise because it does benefit me. But it doesn't make the pain go away anymore.

I just want to make sure that the newbies don't get the idea it's their fault if they need medicine.

I spent years being made to feel like I just needed to try harder. All that got me was burnt out and in the shape I am now. I any of them had told me that I needed to rest more. Put my feet up during the day. Relax. I might have held out in the workforce longer.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:15 PM   #6

typingterror HB User

Yes, I also believe exercise is very important to keep as much range of motion as possible. However, this is excercise that we do by ourselves as we know our limits and not induced by physical therapist as them people will do your body a lot of harm. I have been that route twice and was in terrible shape after completing several months at two different times. It shows you how little a doctor understands PT as they should never send their patients with fibro there. A therapist's goal is force movement further each visit to make their records look good even if patient is half dead. Also, weights are very harmful as well as stretch bands as it is over exceeding what we can tolerate and only exacerbates our symptoms. (TT)

Old 06-12-2004, 02:36 PM   #7

nicoledee24 HB User

Well, I have a lot of headaches. my neck hurts the most and then probably my hips. I just get so damn tired and hate to sleep all the time. I know I can't. For my mental health. I am trying to stay active but its hard. Has anyone had little spots in your vision?? Like a gnat is flying in front of you? That irritates me the most! I just feel sore all the time. I have been on my meds for about 6 months now. Maybe I need something different? Thanks for the replies!! I appreciate it.

Old 06-12-2004, 10:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I don't think they have found a wonder drug that will help out the pain from fibro?....meds is about all a person can take...or doing exercise underwater.....theres a book out from the AAF Amercian Arthtis foundation....living and copeing with fibro!....unless you have a very understanding Dr with compasion for pain....theres not much you can do/ I think its an underlying problem with the mussels from rumotoid arthtis and no one really knows yet how to treat it? taking an inflamatory drug is bout all a person can do- OR try to lose weight if your over weight and excrise. watch your diet! (WALKING HELPS) Start off walking bout a couple min a day and work up from there untill you can say walk a mile everyday!
I hope and pray almost everyday for a cure for this bad hurting desesase!
Good luck to all of you with this dreaded hurting desease.

Closed Thread