It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #1

mannhattin HB User
Low Carbs Anyone?

I was reding an artical and I can't remember where it was but it said that fms sufferes noticed improvment when the cut down the carbs? I was thinking of trying this since my dad is on Atkins my mom cooks for him and then she cooks for us. I could easly try it but I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 02:07 PM   #2

typingterror HB User
Re: Low Carbs Anyone?

I had also read this about getting all sugar, white flour and food that would spike insulin out of your diet which I adhered to for quite a long time which was quite a challenge. I did notice that I no longer had any bloating. However, it messed up my blood work big time as calcium and cholesterol became elevated and doctor sent me a letter to stop all vitamin supplements immediately and it did not help with all the aches and pains so I had to go back to a more normal way of eating, but I generally eat very healthy and still watch sugar content very closely. I also watch carbs now. However, one wonders why all the food companies could get on the band wagon and put so many low carb out on market so fast. The grocery stores have low carb signs hanging all over the place, but if a person was so gullible and ate everything they had sign on one would be big as a hippo in no time. (TT)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 02:27 PM   #3
(female)

tam821 HB User

yes,,,,,,,,, I am on atkins, from jan til now lost 25 ponds. its great, it does take the sugar high away, the tiredness, and fatigue, not all of it, but some.
we have enuff tiredness, dont need anymore by adding carbs

I can honestly say i do feel better on atkins,

cutting those carbs HELPS,

TAMMY

Old 06-11-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
Inactive

AliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB User

I have had problems with low blood sugar for years. With all the low carb stuff it is getting much easier to find the foods I need.

Alice

Old 06-11-2004, 11:15 PM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

I too enjoy low carb eating. Not Atkins two week initial phase crazy. But I try to avoid sugar all together and eat whole grains if I'm going to eat bread, cereal or the like. I limit the bad stuff and eat mostly veggies, fruits and protein. It does make me feel better. I can't completely do that right now though because I'm pregnant.

The biggest thing for me is the sugar because not only is it a bad carb but it makes yeast in your body.

Old 06-13-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
(female)

DecLady HB User

One of the things that often happens when people eat less carbs is that they begin to eat alot more veggies..and make better choices with their protein...and often they are even upping their fruit intake because they are grabbing less easy food which is often carbohydrate heavy! So, it is never surprising to me that someone feels better when they start "low carbing". Many times it just means they are eating healthier than they have in a long while! Does an Atkins type diet "fix" fibro??I doubt it..but I do think that eating better always makes us feel better!

Old 06-14-2004, 12:42 AM   #7
(female)

tam821 HB User

low carb doesnt fix fibro. no...., but losing 25-30 pounds and eating well will make you feel better, and every little bit helps. Sure I still have the pain and the sleepness nites, but the exercise and losing weight feels better for sure.
I have eaten healthy all my life, yet on a low fat diet, and was the same weight for years, low carbs got me off the sugar cycle, no more afternoon naps. more ENERGY, and a much better attitude toward dealing with this.

I can most certainly assure, that besides my pain, I feel alot better on low carb. It does help.

Old 06-14-2004, 12:52 AM   #8
(female)

tam821 HB User

P.S.

declady, If you do a bit of research on low carb eating, you will find that fruit is very limited in low carb eating, also, only certain amounts and kinds of veggies alowed. You will also find many fibro patients telling you the same thing I am telling you, and doctors.

My doctor is very pleased that I am on low carb, he stated it will help me.
by cutting out all caffiene, sugars, losing weight taking pressure off my body, and excercise. <-- small amounts though, well its better than nothing.

I was very skeptical at first too, yet keeping an open mind and a positive attitude about our pain is very important.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:22 AM   #9

RileysMom HB User

Hi,
I've been following The South Beach guidelines and find that when I cut out thesugar and white flour I do feel much better and the FMS symptoms are not as prevalent. I also havge found that eating more protein doesn't make me as hungry and can go for longer periods of time between meals as well give me energy to get some aerobic exercise in without a lot of pain andd fatigue.
Chris

Old 06-16-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
(female)

DecLady HB User
I am not against eating well!...

It is not surprising to hear that you feel better with no sugar or white flour.I have been eating organically for a long while...but when I do fall off the wagon..it does show up! Good quality protein always is a help as well. I am not trying to debate the low carb issue. I think we all have to find ways to feel our best!

Old 06-16-2004, 05:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Ohhhh i wish so much that i could stay on the atkins diet. For me it is very hard giving up the carbs since thats mostly what i crave and live on. I dont eat much meat, hardly at all, just never been a big meat eater ever. Chicken i can eat once in a while but even that i dont have a taste for.
I have promised myself tho, that after this incision closes (had surgery and incision got infected and its been hell for almost a month with packing it and all and its still open) that i will get on a good exercise program and try very HARD to get on a low carb diet. Son swears by it. Hes lost so much weight on it and says he feels great. Says the first two weeks are the hardest. THATS when i give up, during those two weeks.
Just dont think i can start a diet and much else till this thing closes up and i dont have to worry about it and take one day at a time with the low carb. Actually looking forward to it this time. I hope to be able to find encouragement to stick to it on here ladies, PLEASE lol. I need all the help i can since my body practically craves carbs and throws a fit when it doesnt get it.
Thanks, looking forward to a new journey once i heal.
Jen

Last edited by Jenetti; 06-16-2004 at 05:30 PM.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:06 PM   #12

mannhattin HB User

So where can you go and find out what things are good to eat and what things are bad?

Old 06-22-2004, 04:16 PM   #13
(female)

DecLady HB User
First visit to the rheumy went ok and....

Basically after a talk and a move this way move that way sort of exam...He says..."do what you are doing...we really don't have a clue what to do with this...but make you comfortable with whatever symptoms you are having. It sounds like you are trying to keep moving..and eating healthy...and the only thing I can suggest is to keep reading to find out what is new as far as treatments and drugs go...And come back if you have any new symptoms that concern you."
So, I guess in a way that is the good news and the bad news all rolled into one...I am on a good path for me and my syptoms..but it probably won't make me better...and the course of drugs I am using is pretty safe and I shouldn't be concerned about what I am taking ...He did say that the tramadol for daily general pain and vicoden for more acute pain was a good choice. His opinion is that ibuprofen and naproxsyn are far more dangerous with worse side effects!
The funny part was he didn't really have a clue why my doc thought I should see him!! I said I thought it was that my GP had a general discomfort about long term chronic pain and prescribing pain meds. Just not his area of expertise. The rheumy said he would include his report the recommendation for continued use of pain meds.
So, all in all...I guess a good visit...At least he didn't make me justify what was wrong with me!

Old 06-23-2004, 07:18 AM   #14
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi

I've been on Atkins for about six months and I can't say it has helped with the FM. I needed to lose about fifteen pounds---and did. Unfortunately I went off the diet and gained it back, so now I'm doing the fourteen day induction again and will stick with it.

It was so easy to gain the weight back. But--alas, no help with FM (for me).

Ed

Old 02-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #15
(female)

PollyGirl HB User

Before I had any major symptom or even considered I had FM, I went on a LC diet to lose some pounds I aquired over the years. This was Feb 2003 that I started and lost around 35 pounds in 6 months. I was not working at the time and finally found a FT job at a prosthetic office doing most of the front office work. I continued to follow the LC plan while still running 6 miles a day and still feeling pretty good. Then suddenly while at work, I would get these blinding headaches and dizziness and thick tongue while talking and stumbling to find the right words. I would go home and immediately fall asleep on the couch until my hubby would get home. For a year and half I followed low carb and tried to exercise but actually gained weight and at an alarming rate.

After working at this prosthetic office for 15 months I had to quit due to the chemicals and glues and fiberglass and I knew that was what was causing my symptoms. There was no ventilation in the office and the fumes were making their way into my office that I was breathing on a daily basis. There were days when I could not even smell the chemicals from being so used to it. This is what brought on my symptoms and prompted me to seek medical attention.

Low carb stopped working for me and I have also gained 60 pounds in one year. I am miserable and really considering going back on a low carb plan but not sure if this is the ideal way to eat?

How can one possible gain so much weight while following a limited carb and calorie diet? I am a small gal with a ton of weight everywhere. I don't see how you can gain so much weight in such a short time?

Closed Thread