It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2004, 01:44 PM   #1

Vic15 HB User
Unhappy Severe constipation anyone????????

Hi-Just a quick question and would appreciate your replies. I've been reading up on fibromyalgia and most info says that IBS (alternating diarrhea and constpation) is a frequent symptom of fibro, however I experience extremely bad consitpation, does anyone have the same problem as me????

Thanks,

Vicky x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #2

typingterror HB User
Re: Severe constipation anyone????????

Yes, I am with you. How about a stick of dynamite? I was this way when I simply took Motrin. Now I am on Flexeril and same thing. However, it is a small price to pay compared to relief I am having. When I start getting really bloated and feel like I am going to blow up I just take a couple of over-the-counter laxatives and we start the whole process over. I am fortunate though as I do not have IBS to go along with fibro. I try to eat high fiber diet, but all it does is bulk up my stomach and I eat so much fruit I should live in the jungle. I will take this issue up with doctor when I see her next month to see if there is another solution. (TT)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2004, 03:41 PM   #3
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

There's one more. Not me but my mother. Because of my butt surgeries I have the opposite problem, even pregnant. My Mom however sometimes covets my diarrhea. She also has fibro (just a little something we like to pass on in our family) and always has a hard time with constipation. I think there is a new IBS med that is just for IBS with constipation.

I hope you get to going better soon!

Old 06-14-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
(female)

mollymadison HB User

Yes....yes...I'm always have the same problem. I take a stool softener. My Dr. suggested taking 2 instead of one per day. Try Surfak but there is a generic. You can get them anywhere.

Old 06-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
(female)

aaronon HB User
Thumbs down Re: Severe constipation anyone????????

Hi,

I have the severe constipation from Fibromyalgia. I also have TMJ, RLS, IBS, and a few other problems too. I've been to an internal doctor, had the colonoscopy, and basically told I have IBS. Yehoo!, NOT! Not that I didn't know something like that as going on for a long time. My doctor gave me a liquid laxative to take every day along with enemas as needed. What a life I have. If anyone can tell me where to find something that will help, let me know.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-15-2004 at 01:44 PM. Reason: to remove a reference to a deleted post - deleted because that person was spamming to sell a product.

Old 06-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

I asked my doc about that new med Zelnorm. I take it, and it helps but I still have to take a stool softener.

tk

Old 06-16-2004, 01:53 PM   #7

mamu710 HB User

Yes, Yes Yes!!! I've had ibs for 10+ years. But mostly with diarrea. Now...I'm with tt. Dynamite might help. I've had a colonoscopy and ultrasound. Dr say I need a high fiber diet. I've been trying but it just bloats me up. This is awful. Sometimes I have bad pain too. Like I really need more of that. I have no meds for pain right now. I Had to cancel my recent appointment because my father in law died. I sure could use something, but I am swearing off drs for a while. Luckily my allergy meds put me to sleep at night.
If anyone finds something that works please let us know.
mamu

Old 06-17-2004, 07:26 AM   #8
(female)

aaronon HB User
Unhappy Re: Severe constipation anyone????????

I was on Zelnorm for awhile and it didn't work for me. I know one thing, I really dislike doctors and I'm really miserable. My BM's are few and far between and the pain and discomfort from IBS are on my last nerve.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Have any of you all tried the homopathic (spelling?) way? I tried this regiment of different drink mixes and it did help, but was very strict. I had to stick with it and I'm lazy, so I didn't. It was done in 3 steps. First I took an herbal supplement for so many days, then a drink mix that was literally flax seed and "charcoal" mixed with juice, then the powdered drink mix. This routine works if you stick with it and supposedly lasts for awhile before you have to do all three steps again. The "charcoal" drink mix didn't taste bad, it was just looking at it and the texture was awful, but if you just close your eyes and slug it down, you won't notice that you're drinking black chunky juice! I know it's hard having all these side effects, and some things work and some things don't. But I always try the "natural" way first. There are some good websites that have digestive supplements. I know that flax seed helps, may bloat you up a bit. Also that acidolpholus (spelling?) is an enzyme supplement that works in your digestive tract.

Anyhoo. I wish you luck.
good day
tk

Old 06-18-2004, 12:30 AM   #10

twisted123 HB User

Oh Boy!! Do I EVER!!

I have Fibro, IBS, and Adheasions. After many doctors and all the tests I find I do best when I drink lots of water and a fiber drink. I am lazy to though and if it is not left on the counter I forget.

I am really to the point where I feel much of the problems are due to yeast. I am so addicted to sweets and yeast need them to thrive. I guess it will just need to be tough and say "It's them or ME!"

Old 06-18-2004, 11:18 AM   #11

typingterror HB User

This thread makes me think of the song "Beautiful, beautiful brown eyes!" I don't have brown eyes yet, but am working on it. It is debulking day. (TT)

Old 06-24-2004, 09:33 AM   #12
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Vicky--

I have the same problem and have had no luck with Miralax or Lactulose (both on prescription).

What I have found that helps is the 100% pysllium (sp?) husk. Not Metamucil or those small capsules, but a gallon container of the pure stuff.

I use two Tbsp. twice a day and it solved the problem.

Ed

Closed Thread