It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #1

Vic15 HB User
Anyone on antidepressants for fibro?

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone is on antidepressants for their fibro???? I am taking Effexor (Venlafaxine) and it's seems to help with pain. Please give me your feedback..

Thank you

Vicky x

Old 06-14-2004, 01:10 PM   #2

Sandy5764 HB User
Re: Anyone on antidepressants for fibro?

My doctor just started me on Lexapro. As he puts it, "It's not because you're depressed. It's supposed to tell your brain not to have pain." At this point I would take anything they gave me if it took the pain away. Only have been on it for about a week, don't notice any difference yet, but it's early.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

healthseeker HB User

I was diagnosed with FM in 1997 and have been tried on many different antidepressants since (script and otc). The way it was explained to me is that anyone that has chronic pain, can automatically develop a chemical depression. No matter what, you have to keep your doctor informed of everything else you are taking when he/she has you on these drugs - even something as basic as vitamins. I now take SAMe - it seems to help me more than any of the others and I can get it at Walgreens or Costco - too easy! It also helps with joint mobilty.

Old 06-14-2004, 01:34 PM   #4

typingterror HB User

A long time ago I was tried on Elavil for sleep, but had to stop taking it due to getting severe nightmares. However, antidepressants are a part of many fibro patient's regimen used as a relaxant more than depression. Undoubtedly we all go through bouts of depression though with this illness. I will take whatever works to live a lifestyle as normal as possible without walking around like a zombie. (TT)

Old 06-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

I've been on ADs to, Elavail in my 20's, Paxil in my 30's and Prozac post-partum. The one that seemed to work the best was Prozac but they may because it wasn't just for fibro, I really was emotionally depressed. Elavil made me gain weight which ultimately made fibro worse and Paxil gave me all kinds of crazy side effects. But I'm not on anything now and haven't been for a year.

I can tell when that is an issue because I generally start having really bad insomnia too. Right now I'm sleeping just fine for the most part.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-14-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
(female)

tam821 HB User

I am on effexor too, not for depression, but for the seritonion/pain transmitters I am missing in my brain due to fibro, i am also low on the neuro transmitters, ( pain ones)
I take percotcet 7.5 for this . jeeeuzzz, effoexor is good but still need pain meds sometimes to move!!

the effexor, does seem to help. I tried neurotin, and lexapro, and that other stuff, but found effexor works well for me.

Old 06-14-2004, 05:14 PM   #7
(female)

mollymadison HB User

I am on several things because I am bipolar as well. So that doesn't help on the depression side of things. Since this ordeal began (which was not too long ago), I have been severely depressed. So I am working with my psychiatrist and this is what we are working with:
1. Depakote (mood stabilizer)
2. Lamictal (add on to mood stabilizer)
3. Wellbutrin (anit depressant)
4. Neurontin (supposed to help with my migraines)
5. Klonopin (for sleep, but also relaxes the musles)
6. Ultracet (new med from rheumy, for pain)
7. Magnesium/Calcium
8. Viactiv calcium chews (taste like tootsie rolls)
9. Multi Vitamin for Women

I think that's it for now at least. I need something to address the migraines as they come on. The ultracet does not work and I can't take anything in the family of imitrex.

Anyway, so far the meds regimen seems to be helping.

Hope this helps somone else.

Geesss....that's alot of meds.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic15
Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone is on antidepressants for their fibro???? I am taking Effexor (Venlafaxine) and it's seems to help with pain. Please give me your feedback..

Thank you

Vicky x

Hi Vicky -

I have a pharmaceutical factory in my med cabinet. I had tried several different antidepressant and they all gave me horrible side effects. I was ready to throw in the towel, until the psyche Dr had me try one more - Lexapro. No side effects other than sleepiness in the evening. But I also take Pamelor (it's an older med but it's the one that mostly helps with the chronic pain) not only for fm, but bone problems, too. My muscles can get in spasm, and then I take Flexeril when it's really bad. I also have GAD (anxiety disorder, depression, too) so I also take Ativan daily. I use to eat Tylenol3 like they were candy, but since I've been on this regimen, I've needed fewer pain meds. And believe it or not, I don't at all feel drugged. They're a great combination.

But if you're doing OK and feeling fine on Effexor (it was one I couldn't take - funny how we're all different!), then no point in messing with what's working!

Char

Old 06-17-2004, 11:16 PM   #9

twisted123 HB User

Yes, I am also taking Effoxor XR twice a day for the pain of fibro. My doctor also put my on celebrex put I have heard some bad stuff about it so I won't refill it for now. I think that the Effexor may be helping as well.

Old 06-20-2004, 01:56 PM   #10

dramagurl704 HB User

I take zolof(is that how u spell it?) and i dont know if it really helps or not but the dr. says to stay w/ it and ill try any thing. hope that helps
Meg

Old 06-20-2004, 03:54 PM   #11
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Vicky--

I asked my doc to put me on Elavil, since I heard that it helps with pain.
He started me at 25mg. at bedtime and just last week when I went in for a visit he said he was going to increase it to 50mg. It's to help with the pain and I notice some progress.

Ed

Old 06-20-2004, 10:26 PM   #12

DivineRose89 HB User

unfortunately at age 14 I am on Zoloft for my fibro. I am also on pain meds, sleeping pills, and energy pills. Just a bit of advice, Trazodone is suppose to give you night mares. So for those of you who might be on that and you have nightmares, you might want to talk to your doc. It also gave me and my mom leg cramps.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:02 AM   #13
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

My Goodness I've never heard of someone so young with ifbro. I developed lupus when I was 14 so I know you must be having such a hard time. I'm 35 now and live a good life in spite of illness so don't let anyone take away your hope.

-Andy

Old 06-23-2004, 07:31 AM   #14
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi---

I take 50mg. of Elavil at bedtime for pain.

Ed

Closed Thread