It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
Veteran

thisstarr HB User
Leg Pains? Does Anyone Get Them?

HI EVERYONE,

I have had them time after time but never this badand for this long they never last this long or this bad!

I am having extreme leg pains in both my legs from my hips to my toes I cant lay, sit, walk, stand, The pain is so extreme I just cant take it! It is like throbbing pain that is stabbing and burning like someone is ripping off my flesh, I know that sounds gross I dont know how to explain it, my legs are so weak and hurt and no mattter what I do nothing helps! I already have 24/7 headaches, TMJ pain, my FM pain and CFS among everything else I cant stand having this problem on top of everything else I have and my doctor is stupid and wont give me answers.......so I dont know what is wrong......

I hope I am not the only one..... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs,

STARR

Last edited by thisstarr; 06-14-2004 at 10:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2004, 11:58 PM   #2

S_Ray HB User
Re: Leg Pains? Does Anyone Get Them?

I was reading in a FM book earlier today about these pains (As I don't experience them myself, I can't really say that anything has worked for me) ... Have you tried putting ice on them? By doing that, the ice will make it so your pain receptors go numbish and can not "communicate" with the brain about the pains you are having. If you have tried this and it doesn't work, please just ignore this post.
Hope you get well soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2004, 05:09 PM   #3
(female)

mollymadison HB User

Thisstar-I have most of my FMS pain in my legs and lower back. Many times I feel the same pain you are describing. I didn't want to move. I could barely walk to the bathroom the fatigue was so bad. I know pain killers will help but what I have found to work for me LATELY (I just started this this weekend), is walking just a little bit and then work your way up to more minutes per day. Don't overdue it. Just do as much as you can tolerate it. Last Wed I actually attempted work and paid for it in leg pain for days. So on Sat I tried walking just a little bit in the mall. This was of course with the help of pain meds. Sunday, I went swimming. I had to rest due to the fatigue but, overall I felt OK. Aftwerwards, I was sore like I had worked out and I did have to take something for pain to get to sleep. But, on Monday the pain was so much less severe. It was only in my knees. Monday and today I went bike riding. This morning I woke up with NO PAIN! I absolutely can not believe it. They exercise is the key but when you are hurting so bad you can't think of anything else. I know where you are coming from. I feel your pain. Try to hang in there.

Have you tried taking Magnesium? I find that helps me! Maybe you too!

Old 06-15-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Molly is right star. I have the same pain as well in the same areas. Even when it feels like I'm walking on gravel or glass I still get up and pace slowly through the house. Just a little motion can go a long way. If I'm so bad off I can't stand that even, I lie in bed and do yoga stretches, ankle circles, anything to move the muscles a bit. Of course when I do have the really bad episodes I take muscle relaxers and codeine and ibuprofen for inflammation every six hours. After 48 hours or less it usually eases. I also recommend the ice therapy. It doesn't even have to be ice. You can wet a bath towel with cold water and wrap it around your legs and it can be very soothing, reduces inflammation. Just put a plastic trash bag or something under you to protect the bed or furniture.

I hope you get to feeling better. I've had bad leg pain today myself. Major bummer.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:56 AM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

I thought og one more thin gin the middle of the night. I want to make sure I'm perfectly clear about the importance of rest and elevating your legs when the pain is really bad. Yes, it is important to keep moving however, when the inflammation is severe and your back is messed up from it, you need to rest. You need to elevate your legs and let your body heal. I just didn't want anyone to think I was saying you need to move no matter how bad it hurts.

With fibro I've found that there is a critical difference between average and severe pain/inflammation. If I don't get enough rest in between my home version of rehab and do too much it takes days and sometimes weeks of rest to recuperate. Just like if I all of the sudden decided to try to run a marathon with no training.

So I hope that clears up anything I might have understated. Hope you all feel better soon - Andy

Old 06-16-2004, 08:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

So sorry you are going through this. I have been getting a lot of pain down my right leg, from the hip into the foot, same as you described throbbing, burning and tingling. My left foot also gets numb and tingling. The chiro said it is coming from trigger points in my lower back and is releasing them. I was doing better but yesterday was mall shopping and than walked about a mile last evening, now it has started all over.I am putting heat on my low back also going to my chiro today. Seems impossible that it is low back as my back does not bother me, but the treatment is helping. When the chiro goes into those trigger points the pain shoots down my leg. I also get this off and on for years but have had this for 2 months straight this time.

Hope you get some relief soon, Linda

P.S. forgot, you should ice for the first 2 days because the muscles tend to swell and than change to heat

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Last edited by pa235; 06-16-2004 at 08:39 AM.

Old 06-17-2004, 03:11 AM   #7
Veteran

thisstarr HB User
Lightbulb Re: Leg Pains? Does Anyone Get Them?

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT APPLY TO MY POST I REALLY THOUGHT I WAS THEONLY ONE?

S RAY: Thank you for your reply, I have mostly tried heat warm baths or my heating blanket never really ice, so thank you. I could not find it in my books and I have alot! thank you!

MOLLY M & TAURUS: Thank you so much for relpying to my post, Finally I can see I am not alone, these pains I get are so bad but I never thought my legs were swollen or that I have inflammation like you mention Taurus! The pain is just so deep inside my legs and I cant stand it. I tried walking around and streathing in bed and out of bed, I pay the price for it later and are stuck in bed crying my eyes out and cant walk but it seems to get worse! Finally today I went to the gym with my husband and walked on the treadmill really slow and sat in the spa(jucuessi)(sp) for the heat to see if that will help. I am hurting right now but will see how I feel in the morning? I have always had strong legs, but getting in two car accidents and being in and out of the hospital and having surgery my legs and my hole body has become so weak I can barly hold myself up and I have so so much fatigue I cant stand it. I started going back to my massage theapiest to see if that can help. I am 24 and feel 94, thanks for understanding, it is nice to know I am not the only one that has to crawel to the bathroom and cant get out of bed. I am sorry you suffer to, I really am! I thought I may have some kind of other problem on top on my FM that is causing the pain. I am so ammumed to med's I am on really strong stuff if I told you you were be suprize I still suffer with pain, and it does nothing for me but I have to take it or I suffer really bad, I feel I cant live with the pain. IF I walk to much or go out with my hubby to the movies and mall I am going to die and fall on the floor,I cant do things yet I try and I feel knowone understands my pain,
It really feeels like I ran a 24 hr marathron non-stop and did a hardcore work out! I will keep up the exercise, well try my best to, it is just so hard when you are in so much freaken pain! Thanks you guys for caring.
MOLLY: How much Magnesium do you take a day?
TAURUS: I will try to put cold towels on my legs tomorrow and see if that helps and get some med's for the inflammation, They dont feel swollen they just hurt so bad! I do elevatie my legs and it doesnt help? How many pillows do you use maybe I am not doing it high enough, I do rest when the pain is just to bad! Thanks for all your help

I hope you guys have pain free days to, I apprecite you taking the time to post, hope to hear from you

God bless

take care,
STARR

Old 06-17-2004, 03:15 AM   #8
Veteran

thisstarr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa235
So sorry you are going through this. I have been getting a lot of pain down my right leg, from the hip into the foot, same as you described throbbing, burning and tingling. My left foot also gets numb and tingling. The chiro said it is coming from trigger points in my lower back and is releasing them. I was doing better but yesterday was mall shopping and than walked about a mile last evening, now it has started all over.I am putting heat on my low back also going to my chiro today. Seems impossible that it is low back as my back does not bother me, but the treatment is helping. When the chiro goes into those trigger points the pain shoots down my leg. I also get this off and on for years but have had this for 2 months straight this time.

Hope you get some relief soon, Linda

P.S. forgot, you should ice for the first 2 days because the muscles tend to swell and than change to heat

Hi,

That is how my pain started on my left side a few years back and it has incresed to what it is now! I just cant take the pain, it is unbearable to me I just want to die but that wont help either!

Thank you for your post and understanding, it means alot to me, I need to go back to the chrio I havent seen one in 4 years, since my first accident but dont have the funds to go like I need to
The pain is non stop so I dont know if ICE will even help I have had them bad for months thanks for you help though!

Take Care,
STARR

Last edited by thisstarr; 06-17-2004 at 03:17 AM.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #9
(female)

mollymadison HB User
Smile Re: Leg Pains? Does Anyone Get Them?

Thisstar-I am taking 333mg of Calcium/Magnesium 2x per day. I also take a womens mutli vitamin which will give you another 50mg. I also take Viactiv calcium chews (they taste like tootsie rolls). I have also started eating more healthy. I am a hamburgular most of the time. But, since all this started, I have started eating salads and cooking dinner with my hubby.

An update on my leg pain: I have been pain free for 2 days. I can only attribute it to the exercise. We have been riding our bikes for about 30minutes. I get fatigued but I have just been peddling through it! Can't believe it! I thought that I would be very sore after all that burning in my muscles but, it's quite the opposite.

I understand so much what you are going through with your leg pain and I will pray for you that they get better. My legs hurt so bad that I didn't even want to move them. They felt like I had shin splints too as well as that deep, burning, sharp pains that feel like it is radiating from the bones. I can't say that what I'm doing will work for you but again, I will pray for you! Keep in touch!

Old 06-21-2004, 03:29 AM   #10
Veteran

thisstarr HB User

Hi Everyone,

I am still having legs pains really bad on top of a big headache that is unbearable. The pain is driving me crazy, the throbbing pain is just so bad. My whole body aches so bad, I just wish the leg pains would go away, I will try to still exerise but it is so hard when all you can do is cry and want to die!

take care everyone thanks for listening

starr

I wish pain free days on all of us

Old 06-21-2004, 03:40 AM   #11
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi Starr,

So sorry you're hurting. I hope it gets better soon. Are you keeping your legs elevated. I find that helps. Being unconcious and sleeping through it helps too.

If you have meds that knock you out...take them. After a day I bet you'll feel better.

Hang in there! - Andy

Old 06-21-2004, 02:54 PM   #12

dramagurl704 HB User

I also get leg pains that are like lighting going from my knees to my toes. Unfortunaly i haven't found much that helps but im going to my doc. soon to ask about it. the worst part of it is they hit hard at night which is making it even harder to sleep so hang in there and know your not alone.
Meg

Old 06-22-2004, 01:29 PM   #13
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi--

I get leg pains too, but not the same kind as you. For me it's a feeling like someone took two wooden stakes and jammed the up from the bottom of my feet and up the leg. When I wake up in the morning, I hobble. The magnesium helps, but I'm finding out that some kinds of magnesium work better than others and this last time i bought the cheaper ones. Live and learn.

Ed

Closed Thread