It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2004, 05:23 AM   #1
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
Sleep Cycles

Does anyone know when the deepest sleep period is if a person goes to be at 9PM and wakes up at 5:30AM?

I awake at night, and although I have sleep meds I feel like I'm waking up at the wrong time at night to get a thorough sleep.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-20-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
Inactive

Ajijaak HB User
Re: Sleep Cycles

It's all highly individual, so what your deepest point is may be very different from someone else's. However, I've had doctors tell me that a general rule of thumb is that (at least for healthy people) the deepest point of the sleep cycle tends to be toward the end (i.e., the last few hours before you get up).

Unfortunately, those of us with fibro rarely, if ever, hit Stage 4 (REM), which is the stage when your body repairs itself and gets the rest it needs to keep itself going the next day. The reason for this is that as your body feels pain or other types of discomfort, it tenses, and that jerks it out of REM (if it ever has a chance to get there in the first place). Until nine days ago, I had not had real REM sleep in nearly 20 years. It's also the stage when your brain uses dreams to process the events of the day, sort them out, and put them into some sort of order in your brain's memory and other banks. If, as with me, you're not getting to REM, you may have very vivid and inexplicably disturbing dreams that stifck with you all day and trouble you for no apparent reason; I think this is because the "sorting" process gets continually interrupted and your brain spends its "awake" time trying to put everything where it belongs. Now that I'm hitting REM again, I still have very vivid dreams, and quite often, they're still not what I would call pleasant, but they have a very different quality to them, the seem to find their place in my brain,` and they don't bug me for days on end.

Ajijaak

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Ajiaak---

I was kinda thinking that might be the deepest part of sleep. That's the one that is interupted for me. The other night I got no sleep at all, so I was dragging all day yesterday.

I had two sleep studies done and they came up with sleep apnea (mild-borderline) and insomnia.

I keep loading up with magnesium at night before going to bed and if you haven't tried it---it might be a good one for you, but everybody's probably different in reactions.

I've gotta, like everyone else, rejuvenate during sleep---
and about dreams, like you mentioned---I sometimes have them before I wake up and at times they are disturbing and make the day miserable for me, as if the pain wasn't enough. And--sometimes I have dreams that I can't remember except for the fact that I had them. Sometimes I remember nothing.

Ajiaak--thanks again---your very helpful and I very much appreciate your answering.

Ed

Old 06-20-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
Inactive

Ajijaak HB User

Anytime, Ed - just glad I can help!

I struggled alone for so long, both before my DX and immediately after - that I want to help wherever I can, becuse I know how miserable and demoralizing it is when no one understands. That was also the period that drove me to study everything I could get my hands on, since at the time, my docs weren't particularly interested in helping. Like you and virtually everyone else I've seen here so far, I had to take charge of it myself, so info-sharing's a must.

I'm going to take your advice re the magnesium and see if it helps. Aren't the dreams one of the buggiest things? I still haven't found a way to deal with them that prevents that awful feeling of them intruding into my waking hours. Bleaaahhh.

A

Old 06-20-2004, 03:14 PM   #5
(female)

mollymadison HB User

Hi -
I have also posted before about the Magnesium. I read somewhere on this board that it helps with the pain too! I take 1 333mg of calc/mag in the am and one in the pm along with a multi vitamin for women. Try the mag it may work!

Old 06-20-2004, 04:55 PM   #6

typingterror HB User

Rheumatologist told me that if I was not getting at least 4 hours of sleep nightly that I needed something to help me get that much sleep. Well originally I thought Flexeril was miracle for sleep as I passed out that night. However, this was probably just my normal night to collapse and start the cycle all over. I have started documenting my sleep schedule and found out I am only sleeping good every 5th night so I am sure I will have to get some new drug added with Flexeril on my next visit. She advised me to not sleep during day as it would mess up my sleep pattern. Well, lady I got news for you as if I am fatigued during day I am going to sleep to prevent the pain as sleeping every 5 nights is just not cutting it. (TT)

Old 06-21-2004, 03:52 AM   #7
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi There,

I'm up at 4:45 am, woke up at 3:00 am, probably before my REM sleep kicked in, and read this thread. Ironic huh. Just catching up on the board. I find that no matter what I take I quite frequently wake up after four to five hours of sleep. I can usually go back to sleep in an hour or so but as we know that doesn't fix the problem.

I can't take any meds right now as I'm pregnant but even with flexeril and codeine and supplements my body clock just won't cooperate sometimes.

So I feel your pain. One thing I do that seems to help, maybe I just trick myself, but I give myself auto suggestion when I'm dozing off to tell my body to sleep deeply and go right into deep sleep. I tell my body to rest and restore itself. This seems to help me get more our of my sleep. Usually when I do this I have REM type of dreams.

Here's to a better nights sleep for us all on Monday. - Andy

Old 06-21-2004, 04:27 AM   #8
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

And Andy and TT--

I'm glad I'm not the only one fighting this problems. Last night I again was awake at 2am. I went into the kitchen, had some ice tea and then went into the recliner in the livingroom. I did fall back asleep then, but I'm really getting the feeling that the deep, restful, stage 4 (?) sleep is something I'm not getting.

I'll check the other posts on magnesium. I take it in megadoses at night and it promotes faster sleep for me and does help cut down on that miserable early morning pain. I used to wake up like someone jammed two wood stakes up through my feet into my legs. Hobble is what I would do for about half an hour.

Ed

Old 06-21-2004, 10:44 AM   #9
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Oh yes, the morning hobble. Always makes me feel so young. -Andy

Old 06-21-2004, 09:11 PM   #10
(female)

tam821 HB User

sleep is the worse for me. gosh I dont go to bed til like 7 am.. for 2 nites in a row, then by the 3rd nite I do sleep, pain wakes me alot..

I just feel " more wound up at nite"...

Does the magnisum really work. what is the normal dose to take. I sure would like to try something besides sleeping pills.

thanks

Old 06-22-2004, 01:11 AM   #11

nastybreakz HB User

I thought deep sleep or REM happens 2-3 hrs in, you start to go into a deep sleep, but I don't know I take ambien, it works but I would just try and get yourself on a normal sleeping pattern.... I think that's my prob I stay up all night and some days I have to get up and work early and my biological ticker is out of wack as you could say. This is your body's way of reacting to what it is used to doing at that time.

Old 06-22-2004, 06:43 AM   #12
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Re: the magnesium. I've been using 400mg and take about five a day (or more). I read that we with FM are low in it, so it replenishes the body.

I like to take it at night before I go to bed. Although the sleep cycle is interupted---I manage to fall back asleep.

Ed

Closed Thread