It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2004, 06:32 PM   #1

dramagurl704 HB User
Angry Vent on stupid people who dont believe in FM

Is anyone else as sick as me with doctors who don't believe Fibro exists and that its all in your head. WHY WOULD I MAKE UP CONSTAT PAIN AND FATIGUE!!! I am so bloody sick of being told by my friends, family, and even my parents to just get over it and quit looking for attention. If they only knew how much i would kill for a good nights sleep or to get rid of headaches and cramps in my legs or the pain everywhere or the fatigue. How about the fact the i missed homecoming last yr. because i just didnt have the energy. someone please tell me why i would purposefully miss a dance with my wonderful boyfriend or why i would purposefully have no social life because i am always canceling plans because the pain or fatigue is just to great. Why would i make up the shoting pain in my neck that feels like lighting bolts or why would i make up the artheritis i have at age 16. AHHHHHHH!!!!! Its sooooo frustering!!!!!! Now i am done so thanks for listening.
Meg

Last edited by dramagurl704; 06-20-2004 at 06:34 PM.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:19 PM   #2

typingterror HB User
Re: Vent on stupid people who dont believe in FM

I mentioned to a "friend" this weekend how impressed I was with rheumatologist that I am seeing who is also her doctor for rheumatoid arthritis. She stupidly said, "Oh, now do they believe that there is such a thing as fibromyalgia?" Well, I wanted to down right slap the hell out of her. Instead I cleverly said, "Yes, just like rheumatoid arthritis as they are in the same category and they do not know what causes that either!" This condition has cost me a lot. I could not go to see my son as he lay dying two years ago. I had stupid relatives we faulted me for this so I simply broke connections with them as I did not need this from family as I have enough of a struggle on my hands as it is. My daughter will be getting married and I will not be able to go to her wedding. Therefore, I don't want to hear people whining about having a stubbed toe, a cold or all their little insignificant gripes in life. (TT)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

Yes, there are so many ignorant people...a lot of them I've found in the medical field. With fibromyalgia, they can't see the pain and they can't feel the pain...but it's there.

I'm now cured of these fibromyalgia symptoms after a struggle for more than thirty years as an adult...and now for me, I have some more people that don't believe me. Cured? Isn't this uncureable? Isn't that what the doctors tell us?

After I told one of my last doctors that I linked all of this to my mercury-silver dental amalgams, I got that same stupid look of disbelief. As I told him, he kept putting the flashlight in my mouth. I suppose he was looking to find if I had any of those metal fillings...as if I was making this all up.

Another doctor I had a long time ago, ignored what I was trying to tell him, when I had internal bleeding, because I mentioned the mercury fillings. He indicated that maybe all of this was a "mental" thing, that mental tests would resolve. Well, guess what? This internal bleeding eventually resulted in a lot more pain and a lot more dark blood years later, and I had a very large kidney stone removed. Mental? Imagined? Not likely.

Now, with the last doctor I had, I didn't say anything. As soon as I bring up the subject, they seem to take a defensive position. This doctor asked me why I had this rash...it seemed so strange to him. But I suspect it has to do with all of this, but as soon as I say anything...the disbelief continues.

I've written so many times on these boards, about this cure. I'm not alone. Apparently thousands of people world-wide have experienced this, in one stage or another. For most people the mercury accumulates and it affects you more when you are older. For a few individuals, some people can have an extreme allergic or toxic reaction to all of this, even when they are young in rare cases. At least, that is what I've read. In other very rare cases, other people have had troubles with nickel too, which can be found in stainless steel. Some people have had troubles with the anaerobic bacteria found in root canals. There's just so many things that can cause us these problems. I suspect that poor diet, toxins, and unwanted stress are a reason for a lot of this.

There's so much in medicine that's unknown. I just wish people would listen more too.... It's real...and for me (for the most part) it's now gone.

Old 06-20-2004, 10:22 PM   #4

DivineRose89 HB User

I would just like to say that My mother and I are always in pain which would be 10 times worse than normal people's, we are very fatique, stressed, etc. All the symptons that go along with Fibro. We both had alot of tests done and she even had surgery. Then, one day when she went to a new back doctor, he knew right off the batt that she and her kids had Fibro. This explains all of our problems that we've ever had. And it worries my mom cause I am only 14 and already my symptons are pretty bad. Anyway mom was affraid to tell me grandma about it cause she thought grandma would think it was all in her head, but to our surprise. my grandma knew all along that we all had fibro. This made me and my mom very mad cause mom had already been through surgery and very painful tests. ect. Anyway my point it that I was told that in reality 50% of the worlds population actually has Fibro, but because its just know getting discovered i think itll take a few years before alot of the docs believe in it. Im on your side tho, i know it exsits and it upsets me when people dont believe me. Sorry so long.
~Michelle

Old 06-21-2004, 03:15 AM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Man you poor kids. I had no idea that people so yound were dealing with this. I got lupus in high school and I rememebr how hard that was for me. There was so much I missed out on. I'm 35 now and have managed to live a good life with lupus and fibro. But I'll never forget what it felt like to be 17 and told you were dying or at the very least would never be cured.

I too have had to fight the good fight with doctors, family, "friends". Lots of people still thought the world was flat too at one time and obviously they were wrong. "Witches" were burned at the stake for using herbal medicine. I guess it's human nature to doubt things they don't understand.

When they told me I had lupus as a teen it was during the 80's and the height of AIDS paranoia. Because lupus was an "immune" disorder I had to hide it from almost everyone because the minute people heard the word immune system they would be wary and suspicious.

I'm glad you two youngsters have a place to come and vent and get advice.

Hang in there and try to remember to be a kid sometimes...Andy

Old 06-21-2004, 04:43 AM   #6
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Meg---

I cancel out on a few plans also due to pain. I don't even bother to explain anymore. People really don't understand and maybe never will.
I think it's just the society we live in---people just don't give a darn about people anymore.

Ed

Old 06-21-2004, 03:17 PM   #7

DivineRose89 HB User

I read somewhere that a good way to explain what it feels like to have fibro is to have them remember the last time they ever had a bad flu.Tell them thats how you feel everyday of your life.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:01 PM   #8
(female)

mollymadison HB User
Red face Re: Vent on stupid people who dont believe in FM

Yes...I'm very sick of people not fully understanding what fibro entails. It's not just the pain and fatigue, it's all the other stuff that goes along with it. My father on father's day told me I was a hypochondriac and I needed to go back to work. He also believes that I am not bi-polar and i shouldn't need meds. He's the side of the family I get bi-polar from. He's one if I ever saw one. The part that he doesn't know is that I'm so severly depressed that I can hardly think and my Dr' has me out for that. He would just flip if he knew my psychiatrist had me out! Oh well, what he doesn't know won't hurt him. He doesn't really see this as serious syndrome and trying to explain is useless.

Old 06-22-2004, 07:13 AM   #9
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Meg---

I get so tired of explaining as to why I cancel plans or just don't show up somewhere that it's getting ridiculous. Why can't people just take a good look and ask 'how are you feeling today?' instead of just assuming we're 'better' or are 'over it' or 'cured'.

They never seem to understand.

Ed

Old 06-23-2004, 05:16 PM   #10

dramagurl704 HB User

Thank you for everyone who posted. I was having a very bad day when i posted this and sometimes it really helps to just get all out, well anyways thanx
Meg

Old 06-24-2004, 06:26 AM   #11

typingterror HB User

This is especially crushing when you have an appointment somewhere and a "friend" who is also going there anyway is taking you and then stupidly makes comment just before leaving "I guess I will have to drive since you have never been there before." I want to tell her to just go to hell, but at this late time one has no way to plan for an alternative ride and I am having a really bad day and in no condition to drive. Comments like this further exacerbate our symptoms as it puts unnecessary stress on us. I merely stated that I would in future find alternative transportation as I never knew when I would be capable of driving which goes totally over their head. (TT)

Old 06-24-2004, 06:47 AM   #12
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Just about everyone I know, except my wife, don't believe in FM.
They can't believe I have Lyme Disease and it has led me into the world of FM.

I think we live in a society that is so callous and uncaring that people really don't care about anyone except themselves.

It seems to me that years ago (I'm going to be 48) there was more caring and sharing among people.

Now I adopt their attitude: I don't care about them either.

I, and everyone else here, has too much suffering to worry about other people's reactions.

Ed

Closed Thread