It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
(female)

DecLady HB User
First visit to the rheumy went ok...

My GP had referred me to this doc, sort of a 2nd opinion situation.Basically after a talk, and a move this way move that way sort of exam...He says..."do what you are doing...we really don't have a clue what to do with this...but make you comfortable with whatever symptoms you are having. It sounds like you are trying to keep moving..and eating healthy...and the only thing I can suggest is to keep reading to find out what is new as far as treatments and drugs go...And come back if you have any new symptoms that concern you."
So, I guess in a way that is the good news and the bad news all rolled into one...I am on a good path for me and my syptoms..but it probably won't make me better...and the course of drugs I am using is pretty safe and I shouldn't be concerned about what I am taking ...He did say that the tramadol for daily general pain and vicoden for more acute pain was a good choice. His opinion is that ibuprofen and naproxsyn are far more dangerous with worse side effects!
The funny part was he didn't really have a clue why my doc thought I should see him!! I said I thought it was that my GP had a general discomfort about long term chronic pain and prescribing pain meds. Just not his area of expertise. The rheumy said he would include his report the recommendation for continued use of pain meds.
So, all in all...I guess a good visit...At least he didn't make me justify what was wrong with me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2004, 06:33 AM   #2

typingterror HB User
Re: First visit to the rheumy went ok...

At least rheumatologist was tactfully honest with you. I believe that their verification of your condition is valuable in medical records as far as getting pain meds, etc., even if they do not prescribe them. You are absolutely right about meds such as Motrin is what they started me out with many years ago and I used to take 800 mg at a time. I often wonder now if this is what has created minor renal insufficiency. One doctor, endocrinologist, many years ago had me on Indocin and I kept telling him that it was making my head feel funny and he kept insisting I take it. Well, I wound up in hospital to get these out of my system. Rheumatologist said there is no way I should take Motrin now even though previous doctor had just told me my renal blood work was okay to take it again so I had been back on it for five months when in fact my blood work was still showing renal insufficiency. I just have so much respect for rheumatolgist as she thoroughly went through my records so she understands my case and what I have been through already and started her own history and physical on me so she would not have to keep asking the same dumb questions over and over again. Whoops, sorry I got carried away, but guess we have a tendency to do this when anyone mentions anything about doctors. (TT)

Old 06-23-2004, 07:01 AM   #3
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
Re: First visit to the rheumy went ok...

Hi DecLady--

It sounds like a very good visit to the doctors. They took you seriously and even told you to go back if there were new symptoms. You can't ask for much more than that. And rheumys seem to do the best by us FM-ers.

congratulations on not having to put up with a doctor horror story!!!!

Ed

Closed Thread