It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #1

jvogle HB User
Anyone out there experience stabbing groin pain??

Hi,

I have been suffering for almost 2 years -- have seen over 25 drs. First they thought it was the degenerative discs in my back. I was also suffering true vertigo then spaciness for months on end with bouts of true vertigo -- had 3 major attacks. They were leaning then towards my hips because of the disabling groin pain. I do have some arthritis in the hips but nothing that can explain this horrible pain sharp stabbing pain. The longer I stand and walk the worse I get.

I have pain achy and dull at the base of my head and between my shoulder blades. I also get bilateral buttock pain and pain in my thighs and in my feet.

I was on Neurontin but could not tolerate it. I am taking Elavil at night get to get some sleep.

I have had 50 PT visits. I find that the ultrasound helps and so does electric stim but within a few hours it is back. I now have a TENS unit that I use allot at home. I take loads of vitamins nothing seems to really help.

I have been told yes I have fibromyalgia and then I am told no I do not have it. I have absolutely no energy at all and two years later I am no closer to a definitive answer.

Anyone out there has any suggestions? Anyone who has groin pain?

Jacquie

Old 06-26-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
Inactive

taurus3 HB User
Re: Anyone out there experience stabbing groin pain??

HI Jacqui,

I too have groin pain. I didn't get it until after delivery and an epidural but that just aggravated my fibro. It's a very annoying problem. All I've found to do that helps beyond pain meds, ice and heat is stretching, especially yoga. It seems to help stretch out the problem areas which lessens my pain.

It's hard to get a firm fibro diagnosis. I know it's frustrating but hang in there. I find sitting on a therapy ball instead of a chair helps too. Sitting makes mine owrse as well as standing in place.

Hope you get to feeling better soon. - Andy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

healthseeker HB User

Hi Jacquie.

I am so sorry to hear about your trouble. I have FM and have had some sharp "pulls" in the groin area - although I was recently diagnosed with endometriosis that could be giving me those pains. I completely agree with the other post on streching the problem areas. Also, something else just popped in my head that may help as well......I have taken SAMe (an over-the-counter supplement) for a couple of years know. Having been to numerous docs and on many diff meds - lets just say that I was SHOCKED by what it does for me. It is for depression - mental clarity - and joint mobilty (a fibromites dream!). I noticed results within the 1st 24 hours and have also have told my bro-in-law that has MS about it and it has completely changed his life! I usually become weary of people who promise too much with their suggestions and I hope I don't sound that way....I just think we all deserve to feel better. Good luck to you!

heatlhseeker

Old 06-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #4

typingterror HB User

Yes, I have this too. What is so funny about this problem is that I can actually understand it--what a life justifying one's pain. However, I had broken my hip so I have three screws in one hip. Also, I had a hysterectomy so I have scar tissue. Now if I could just figure out a logical explanation for everything else that is hurting I guess I would be up for the Nobel prize. (TT)

Old 06-27-2004, 09:17 AM   #5
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi---

Although I don't get the stabbing groin pain, I wanted to answer your question about the positive diagnosis of FM and the negative ones.
I'd go with the positive, just because so many doctors are not all that well educated on FM and don't want to admit it. If you were told you have it---you have it.

Although a lot of our symptoms can cross or be caused by other disorders, it just compounds the problems we have with FM.

Like you I have disc trouble. My FM doc always writes on the billing sheet for the insurance: FM and also 'cervical disc disease symdrome'. So--I know it's not related to the FM, but it sure aggravates it.

Ed

Old 06-27-2004, 05:20 PM   #6

jvogle HB User

Hi Everyone,

Thank you one and all for all your suggestions and advice. I will try the Sam-e. That is one that I have not tried before.

I know a few people have suggested Yuga for stretching. I was thinking that might be good -- also I am going to try swimming and doing exercises in the pool. I can join when they have open-enrollment in Sept and start in Oct. I think they might offer the Yoga also. The only problem is getting the energy to go.

I was given a script for another 20 session round of PT. I will have the therapist help me with the stretching.

For all of you out there -- I have found a TENS unit to help tremendously to loosen up the muscles. I was able to get one from my PT for $68 -- the replacement pads for a set of 4 is $7. If you have had PT and they used electric stim and it helped inquire if you can buy a portable unit. My insurance company will pay for it -- some do some don't but $68 is a small price to pay for relief.

Old 06-27-2004, 05:45 PM   #7

typingterror HB User

I rented a TENS unit for a few months as at first it was like a miracle to me. However, I soon outgrew it as I would have had to have 100 patches to put on my body. This round of PT they also tried TENS unit on me and it did absolutely nothing. In fact at highest level I did not feel a thing. The only thing that helped was ultrasound treatments, but that again only lasted for 24 hours. (TT)

Old 06-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #8

jvogle HB User

Hi,

I understand if you use the TENS unit too much that it becomes inaffective. I understand what you said about the 100 places. I put them on currently at 4 places for 1/2 hour a piece.

You are so right -- PT is great but short lived.

I was looking up some stuff and what I plan on doing is going a health club just to do exercises in water. Ijust hope the pool is warm enough. Also I am going to ask the therapist to do stretching exercises with me. Understand that helps alot. The problem is trying to do them yourself especially when one is in pain.

What is really great is having therapeutic message but unfortunately insurance doesn't pay for it regardless of the diagnosis. Where I live it is $80 an hour. One has to have alot of money to be able to afford that even if once a week -- but I know that really helped me when I had it done when I was working.

Now I am not working and just try and get social security disability -- have to fight for everything. I even had to fight for my private disability but finally that came through but they constantly hassel me. I guess that is just their job. They just should have to live through one day of the pain we have to endure -- I think we would have a clean sailing.

Closed Thread