It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 07:03 AM   #1
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
Skin Problems from Fibromyalgia

Hi--

I have to go to a dermatologist because the immune disorder mess up of Fibromyalgia. I have excema, psoriasis and flaky itching skin on parts of my body and patches of white all over my head.

I use three different prescribed meds to keep it under control: a shampoo, a face cream and a body cream---all prescriptions.

I know that immune problems cause skin problems, but I wanted to know if it varies by degrees. Some with one problem, some with none, some with all and where and how it appears on the skin and what is used for it.

Ed

Old 06-30-2004, 12:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

healthseeker HB User
Re: Skin Problems from Fibromyalgia

I myself have never had any skin affiliations with FM, but have heard of them before. With as sensitive to cold/heat FM can make you.....maybe that helps trigger your skin responses?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2004, 06:13 AM   #3
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi Ed,

I have skin problems too. Mostly the extreme dry flaky itchy kind. I use a cocoa butter lotion that smells like cookies, really? After trying everything including meds I found this to work but I stil lhave to be dilligent about using it. I have to grease up everyday or the scaly skin takes over very quickly. Also I have found that forcing myself not to itch keeps it from being as bad. I think the itching may come from the neurological part of fibro, meaning that you feel itchy for no reason, your skin is fine. But if you give in and start scratching then you get other rashes.

I also found hydroxizine to be helpful when itching uncontrollably. Makes me sleepy though.

I swear the maintenance of an ill body is overwhelming. I have to grease up my feet nightly as well or else in one day I get cracked, bloody heels.

Maybe there is some vitamin or mineral deficiency that goes with this too. Anyone?

-Andy

Old 08-24-2004, 02:08 PM   #4

ica HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRoux
Hi--

I have to go to a dermatologist because the immune disorder mess up of Fibromyalgia. I have excema, psoriasis and flaky itching skin on parts of my body and patches of white all over my head.

I use three different prescribed meds to keep it under control: a shampoo, a face cream and a body cream---all prescriptions.

I know that immune problems cause skin problems, but I wanted to know if it varies by degrees. Some with one problem, some with none, some with all and where and how it appears on the skin and what is used for it.

Ed
Ed, it sounds like you have psoriatic arthritis but I'm no doctor . At first my doctors were telling me that I had Fibromyalgia but I was not satisfied with that answer. I use to be very active and would run every day. I started waking up with sore legs so I started backing off my running. Then my arms, the bottom of my feet, hands, and neck became very stiff and painful...it was horrible. Then I noticed that my skin started getting flaky, itchy patches mostly on my scalp and legs. My rheumotologist had me on Vioxx and Celebrex, which helped a little for my arthritis but nothing for my psoriasis. Finally when I moved back to my home state my rheumatologist put me on Enbrel. The Enbrel not only helped my arthritis but it did wonders for my psoriasis. I do not know what I would have done without it. Ask your dermatologist or your rheumatologist about Enbrel.

Closed Thread