It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 07:08 AM   #1
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
What Do You Do During A Flare Up

Hi--

When I have a flare-up---I don't do a thing. I sit in a chair and wait for it to pass. I can't seem to do anything. I do it because for me rest seems to be the only thing to help it to pass quicker. If I keep up with my daily routine it just gets more aggravated.

Anyone found any techniques to shorten the time of a flare-up or lessen the symptoms of it?

Ed

Old 06-29-2004, 08:29 AM   #2

foxwalker HB User
Re: What Do You Do During A Flare Up

Hi ed
I am usually in bed in pain and I have never found anything that has shorten the length of my flares I just roll with it until it passes.
hugs Franny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
(female)

aaronon HB User

Hey all,

I just keep doing what I have to. (most of the time) Today, I'm hurting everywhere. I have nothing to take for the pain, I'm going crazy. Flareup? I think that I flare all the time. I don't have a moments peace from Fibro, and it's many other little sisters and brothers that run along with it, i.e. IBS, TMJ, RLS... Somebody shoot me please!

Gina

Old 06-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
Inactive

Copper HB User

I'm like the rest of ya'll, just try and rest 'til it passes, though on particularly tough days, I will take A (1) pain pill.

Gina, try adding ground flax seed to your daily diet to get rid of the IBS. It HAS to be the seed, though, not just the oil, and it MUST be ground just prior to use, not ground and stored. Start with 1 teaspoon daily and SLOWLY build up to 2 tablespoons per day. It has a great nutty flavor, as is good sprinkled on cereal, salads, yogurt, even ice cream ( ), or, my daughter just like to munch them plain. The oils turn rancid fairly quick, so they cannot be exposed to heat (such as cooking with them or the oil), but can be kept in the freezer to be used as needed.

Flax has a soothing effect on the stomach and intestines, is loaded with essential fatty acids (the Omega's), and adds much fiber. I have not had IBS since starting this several years ago.

hope this helps,

Old 06-30-2004, 06:28 AM   #5
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi All,

I too mostly rest. I have a two year old so I can't stay in bed literally all day anymore. But I tend to his basic needs and then rest. Lucikly he is a very well behaved boy and is happy with me lying down and reading him stories some of the time.

Thanks for the tip on the flaxseed. I will try it at some point. I have the runs with IBS. Can you tell me Copper if the flaxseed has any laxative qualities?

As far as making the flare up go faster, like Gina said I feel "flared" all the time. But when I know I've crossed the line and have to rest until it goes away, I use heat, ice massage, whatever I can think of to relieve my muscles. Stretching in bed, massaging with a theracane and plenty of drugs when I need them. I am lucky enough to have a friend who does chiro and acupuncture so I can get adjusted at home and have some needles stuck in me too.

I seem to need anywhere from 1 to 5 days of bed rest depending on how bad the flare is. If my entire right side has seized up it will take longer. If it's just my neck/shoulder or just my hip a day or two will do it.

Hope that helps - Andy

Old 06-30-2004, 07:31 AM   #6
Inactive

Copper HB User

Hi Andy,

Too much flax when you're first starting out could give you the runs, I think, though I've never heard of anyone experiencing it, personally. But, in general, if you start out as I suggested, it definitely will not. In fact, it will help add bulk to the stool because of the fiber. On the other hand, if a person has constipation, it will help to soften the stool. It really balances the the fiber/liquid ratio.

Also with IBS, if you can, avoid white sugar and dairy until it is under control. After a week or 2 with the flax, add in some (uncooked) PLAIN yogurt to the diet to help establish beneficial enzymes in the intestine. You'll know when you're feeling better and can add the other foods, in moderation, back into your diet.

Hope this helps,

Closed Thread