It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
What Activities to Avoid Neck/Shoulder Pain

I wanted to know if anyone from their own experience has found what activities really contribute to neck/shoulder pain and how you have found a way around doing or altering the activity.

I not only have Fibromyalgia, but also cervical disc disease. The two are an awful combination, since I know many people with FM have problems in these areas without other neck complications.

any ideas?

Ed

Old 06-29-2004, 01:42 PM   #2
Inactive

Copper HB User
Re: What Activities to Avoid Neck/Shoulder Pain

Hi Ed,

I have the same things going on, plus some. Posture is one of the biggies with the neck. Not just standing posture, but sitting is especially tough, mostly because of the activities we do while sitting. When reading, make sure you bring the reading material up to eye level, instead of lowering the head to the reading. Make sure your computer screen is at a height that you look directly at the screen, not tilting your chin either up or down. Avoid ANY arm movements that require you to reach above the shoulders, especially if lifting or holding something - I have a handy "grabber" tool with suction cups at the end for such. Make sure you use your mirrors ALOT when driving so you can avoid twisting your head from side to side as much as possible. If you have a healthy passenger with you, rely on THEM to crane their necks to look for approaching side traffic when you need to. Also, if you have bi-focals, I suggest ditching them and getting a seperate pair of glasses for each visual level. I found the MINOR head movement required for bi-focals REALLY exaccerbated neck pain for me.

That's all I can think of for now, but if I recall more, I'll let you know. Oh, DUHHHHH! THE most important thing - and I almost forgot - is STRETCH your neck as much and as often as possible. Nothing outlandish, just SLOW movements of ear to shoulder and turning chin to shoulder. Another one is to place your hand along the side of your cheek, and gently turn your head INTO that hand. Hold strong with your hand so that your head doesn't actually turn, very good for strength building.

anyhoo, that's it. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2004, 06:35 AM   #3
Inactive

taurus3 HB User
Re: What Activities to Avoid Neck/Shoulder Pain

I modify my household chores a lot. Some things I need help with. Like I can wash the dishes but I can't put them away over my head. I have arranged my cabinets over the years to put things at waist/hip level so I don't have to bend or reach up high.

Mostly it's a feel sort of thing. If I'm grabbing for something or scrubbing, chopping, etc. I can feel when it's starting to pull and I stop. Even if that means I can't finish what I was doing. I reached an inch too far for the remote once and managed to hurt my neck shoulder. Made me feel really pathetic.

Here's a low five for everyone as a high five is too painful - Andy

Closed Thread