It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2004, 09:37 PM   #1

kathy372001 HB User
Will the pain ever stop???????

Has anyone ever had such pain that you would just like to crawl in a hole and
die? The pain for some reason is just unberable!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cant take pain killers they dont work have tried everything and have used so many in the last 2 years they just dont work.
Anyway my new dr gave me all natural things to try and they had been working but the last 2 days everythings just went to hell. Been getting more and more depressed and not sure why cant sleep, been crying for the last 2 days dont even know why, cant eat, cant do anything
life is pretty much on hold because of the pain.
Also how do you tell your spouse that there is nothing they can do for you that its just something I have to deal with ? He has been so supportuve but he just dont understand how something like the pain can make you seem like you are nuts crying not remembering anything and the feeling of being totally
lost and not sure which way to turn.
The sleeping aid the dr gave me and the other meds all natural found out the side effects are sever depression seems like I cant win to lose.
Anyone have any suggestions that my help just at this point I would be will to try anything.
Oh yea did try hot shower cold doesnt work for me and no tub so thats out!!!!
Just found out I have Fibro last Tuesday
kathy
arthritis
IBS
wheelchair 2003

Old 07-03-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: Will the pain ever stop???????

Hi, I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I have pain everyday to some degree, but the flares I have had for three to four months at a time. You have to take it one day at a time. I am so sensitive to meds,I am really afraid of them, I had so many bad reactions. Seems to be the norm with fm, either the person needs very strong meds for relief or is over sensitive to the meds.

I use the microwaveable gel packs all the time, also use the therma care heat patches, I buy the neck to shoulder size. I see a chiro every week, who does help some, but some is better than nothing. Hang in there you are in a really bad flare, been there and know how you feel.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

mollymadison HB User

Kathy-
I am also sorry you are in so much pain. I can relate to that. I could barely make it to the bathroom. My husband had to help me take a bath because I was so weak. Let your husband know that just being there for you can be the most helpful thing right now. My husband told me once when I was crying (sobbing), that I should look at this as a turning point in my life. I have to get healthy and exercise and do whatever makes me happy. At first, my husband tried to force healthy food on me but, that just made me mad. This is a decision I have to do on my own. I just told him hold me, hold my hand, just be there and tell me you love me and everything is going to be alright. It's so hard for the husband because they just want to fix us and they don't know how. I can see the frustration on my husband's face. I can tell that this is affecting him also.

For the pain, I started taking magnesium one 333mg in the am and one in the pm. I don''t know if this really works but one day when I was nauseated and vomiting and could not take it, the pain was extreme. I also started out with just a little stretching. I then started to take very very short walks in the house. I worked my self up to a short walk in the mall (I mean only like 5-10 minutes) and not fast at all. I have now worked myself up to biking and swimming. I can tell the days that I do not exercise because I hurt worse. Suggestion: Stay away from strenuous housework like vaccuuming. This will hurt like H*&^. I also take ultracett and sometimes vicoprofen.

I know you are hurting but, try to move if you can, even just a little bit. That's what has helped me. I also know it's easier said than done.

I have also been working with my psychiatrist on the severe depression and anxiety. I also work with a counselor. That has helped tremendously. If you can, try that. It may take of few times to get the meds right for you but, hang in there and trust your Dr. I take Wellbutrin and Klonopin for sleep and anxiety. I also take a lot of other meds because I am bipolar. I won't bore you with that.

Hang in there! I will be thinking of you. Keep posting and tell me how it goes.

Old 07-03-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

A good back massage does wonders. Get your husband or someone to give you a good massage. I also use a heavy duty vibrator, one that can be posistioned on the side and push up my back. Sure helps me sleep better and able to move better. Stretching in bed makes it easier to get up out of bed and walk.

Taking a very warm shower helps, keep one half body out of water and other half in at a time to keep from getting overheated. I am sensitive to having all the body hot at one time, causes me to become nauesated.

Old 07-03-2004, 07:29 PM   #5

Dreamer3866 HB User

Kathy I can TOTALLY relate to your post!!

I have severe nerve/muscle pain down both legs into the calf muscles which feels like they are under a naked flame and I can't take them away from it.
People can't see it so I suffer in silence mostly and medical exams/tests have failed to find a reason.
I have had this pain for 12 years now and it's driving me nutz and the depression it brings is severe!
I had been diagnosed as Fibro too at one stage and also had this pain related to previous childhood abuse I suffered from ages 3-8 which I guess could be a cause!?

Have you ever had mistreatment as a child as many fibro patients have...........the mind forgets but the body remembers?

Take Care

Old 07-03-2004, 09:40 PM   #6

kathy372001 HB User

Thanks everyone,
Its nice to know that Im not alone and alot of what Im going through you guys have been there and done it. The pain seems to be getting worse it hurts so bad that I wished I could be just cut in half or just num for 1 day so
I dont have to feel the pain anymore. Sorry about whinning Ive tried not to complain or cry in front of my hubby and kids but when it gets this bad I just cant control it sometimes it helps just to let it all out.
Yes ever since I got hurt at work Ive been seeing a councilor she helps but what bothers me is the last time I was in she said that she thought I was
catastervising not sure that spelling is right but I mean that she thinks im making it worse then it is. Now not that I didnt feel nuts already then to have them say that. Tell I found out that I had Fibro I was thinking I really was. Now I know why I have the pain know I have to learn to deal with this pain Ive been doing excersise but it hurt and as far as meds there is no hope for me anymore on anything that will help right know.
But thanks to everyone who reponded to me it does help
I just want to be pain free like everyone else I guess
thanks
Kathy
arthritis
IBS
wheelchair 2003

Old 07-04-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Kathy--

I'm having such miserable pain this weekend that I feel the same as you.
Usually I can handle the pain to the best of my ability, but today is worse that the day before and the day before that. I thought I was going to really lose it, so came to the message board.

Spouses have a hard time understanding. I feel helpless and out of control of my body.

And--my pain meds aren't working too well because the pain is so severe.
I keep trying to get things done and not give in to the illness, but I'm losing the battle.

I'm never one to stay in bed, but I might have to do that.

The weekend plans came to a grinding halt and my wife isn't too happy about that. She wants to go into the city tomorrow, but I tried to explain that I just couldn't go any further. We went to the shore this weekend and I was in pain from the minute I left, but decided to be a gamer and let others have some fun. Not so for me.

Since you've just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, like most of us you'll find your own pace and natural rhythm and know what to do and what not to do and when to do it or not to do it. And you'll make mistakes---like I did this weekend.

It's a process---sometimes you just have to ride the pain and and just give in to it until it passes.

It's hard to keep a smile on your face when all feels so bad. That's what I did this weekend and I'm paying for it now.

Good luck,
Ed

Old 07-04-2004, 05:34 PM   #8

kathy372001 HB User

Dear Ed,
Im sorry your in such pain too. Like you I tried to grin and bare the pain my
family wanted to do something special this weekend but I just ended up crying and sitting in the van and watching them it was sad.
But its to the point that I need some medical help I couldnt sleep again last nite tried heating pad but the pain was just enberable.
I finially fell asleep about 4 and got up at 6 I hate that then your so tired and you cant really do anything no energy.
and for once its nice out side and not as humid, why does weather make such a difference in the way we feel?
And how long do your bad flare up last Im just hoping that there is a small
reprev from the bad pain Im having I want to go to the hostipal and get a shot its not codine put I think it morphine not sure alls I know is when I get
that shot it takes a few min and I have no pain cant walk or remember anything but the way I feel again to day it might just be worth it but my hubby asked that is it worth a half a day of not remembering anything for and being like a zombee to relieve the pain to me yes but then I have to think about the cost of emergency room and dr and everything else no!!

I dont know I just want the pain to stop
Well Ed thanks for listening and I hope your day gets better its nice to
be able to vent and to talk to some one that is going through the same thing
I am. Keep me posted on how you are doing!
Also dreamer I wasnt abused as a child but abused from my ex but now married to a wonderful caring man

Thanks
Kathy
arthritis
IBS
wheelchair 2003

Old 07-05-2004, 06:17 AM   #9
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Kathy,

Things haven't gotten much better with me over the weekend.
All I could do yesterday was sit in a recliner and wait the pain out. I'm still waiting.
It's somewhat better than yesterday, but all I could do was take the pain meds and wait. Probably it will be the same today.

This flare-up might last all week. It's the worst it's been in a while.

Sorry you're having a rough time with it---you aren't alone.

Ed

Old 07-05-2004, 10:58 AM   #10
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi Kathy,

I've been busy trying to please the normals in my world too so I hadn't read your post yet. I'm so sorry and reading it almost made me cry. I understand completely how you are feeling. It sounds like you need much better support from your doctor and counselor.

It's perfectly normal to cry all the time and be depressed, especially when you just found out that the pain you've been living with all this time, is something that you are stuck with now. Meaning that there are meds that can make us feel better and more functional, but we're not gonna be cured anytime soon. I think many of us feel guilty for feeling grief over having fibro at first. You think about people with cancer or paralyzed and think at least I'm not dying. But the truth is we've all lost something precious and that is our choices.

A friends daughter who got back from a year in Iraq in May had an article written on her in 4th's paper. She spoke in there about choices and how the people who live there don't have any. It made me think about how being ill and having it be invisible to the world takes away so many choices.

I've had fibro for 14 years but only diasbled from it for 2. When I first had to stop working it was so hard for my husband because he couldn't "fix" me as you said. But I finally made him understand that when I was in such bad pain that all I could do was lie in the dark, not move and wait for drugs to put me to sleep, all he could do and all I needed was for him to spoon me and that made me feel better. Knowing he could do something made him feel better too.

Sometimes when I have the fire ants crawling on me burning from the inside out sensation I can't stand to be touched. But he can stil come lie next to me for awhile and watch TV with me or talk to me about his day to get my mind off of it.

If you are already on any of these things ignore this but based on how you are feeling I think you need the following things. From you doctor you need something for sleep like Ambien. When you go for days without a solid nights sleep that alone can make you crazy. Add pain on top of it and it's a wonder you can get out of bed at all. If you haven't tried them an antidepressant might help raise you seratonin levels.

And if your counselor doesn't start being more understanding, find a new one. They don't all think that way. It seems that doctors and counselors are split about 50/50 as far as their philosophy on fibro. Some believe it's physical and some believe it's psychological. You need help from the first camp. Try to explain to both the doctor and counselor that you are in a grief process over knowing that you have this disease to deal with indefinitely and that lack of sleep and pain are making you emotional. That way if you cry while you are there they won't see you as "hysterical". Once I made my doctor understand this things went much better.

I know you said pain pills don't work for you. There is something called a pain blocker. I don't know much about it but there is a website. Search for "stop the pain".

It will get better and you will get into your own rythym. But right now you are acute and need lots of rest. Even once you find your rythym there will be days here and there that are still bad but hopefully you can find something to ease it when you're flaring. I always remind myself this will pass and I'll feel better. Sometimes it takes two weeks but it does.

I find I am most emotional and bummed out when I've had a good run of days and then get wammied by a flare.

Hope you get to feeling better...

Old 07-05-2004, 12:03 PM   #11

kathy372001 HB User

Thanks Andy and Ed,
Today I took a chance on the dr being in and she was she just happened to
be there found out that the meds that I was taking can cause depression.
been taking 16 pills a day now they want me to start by taking 1 group of pills a day then every 3 days add another now these are all natural pills nothing prescription which did help the fist week but they say with everything that I have my body and my chemistry is all screwed up. She said the the Melatonin and the Procalm and peaceful nights and NT Factor may be the cause of the problems. I didnt know that having Fibro and DDD can screw you up so much.
Ive tried regular prescription med and they just dont work they say my body has built up a tolerance to them thats why they dont work. I took alot of pain killers when I hurt my back.
I know people say that you can learn to leave with the pain but there is alot of people who dont understand when your having a flare up the pain that we go through. It sounds so bad but when people say the pain cant be that bad I would love to take a baseball bat and hit them and say now the pain isnt that bad. ( sorry just venting again my freind just said that to me that the pain cant be that bad)
Well any way you guys thats for helping me look forward hearing from you guys it does help.

Thanks
Kathy
arthritis
IBS
wheelchair 2003

Old 07-05-2004, 02:17 PM   #12
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Kathy--

I look at it this way: we all have each other.

Other people (usually) can't understand this illness and we get stomped on by them or totally ignored.

A forum like this let's us be in contact with others like us. So, don't despair and I won't either. It's nice to be able to get to this message board and know that someone will always be there.

Ed

Old 07-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #13

kathy372001 HB User

Hi Ed
Have you ever noticed that even with family they ask how your doing and then you try to say and they cut you off i know they get sick of hearing about it but on the other hand some times thats the thing that is running our
lives. I try not to say to much anymore about the pain. I wished we were normal to be the way I was 2 years ago .
Anyway you are right its nice to know your here thanks
Kathy
arthritis
IBS
wheelchair 2003

Old 07-06-2004, 04:56 AM   #14
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User

Hi Kathy--

My in-laws are the worst. They don't even bother to ask how I am.
They look at me like I just don't want to work and dismiss me with a wave of the hand like I'm a 'loser'. How's that for treatment?

At least I know it isn't my fault I ended up with Fibromyalgia.

Ed

P.S. I'm having a better day today. I was on the couch all day yesterday.
I felt like I couldn't move. The rest helped.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:41 AM   #15

kathy372001 HB User

Hey Ed
Im glad your having a better day, me still in great pain but now thats its tuesday Im going in to the chiro she seems to help I know it only helps for a short period of time but at least I might be able to do some house work.
Then I see a therapist on Wednesday so I can tell her about how ****** I feel
that helps that she listens she helps with the chronic pain but I have to drive 2 hours to see her the ones around here suck!!!!!!!!
Anyway Im glad your doing better its raining here and so gloomy why does weather make us feel crappy or affects us more?
Bye Ed
Kathy
arthritis
IBS
wheelchair 2003

Closed Thread